Author Topic: Odor Blocker  (Read 551 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Odor Blocker
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
Well, I didn't know what else to call it! In the movie "Silence of the Lambs", FBI agent Clarice dabs an "ointment" of some sort in her nostrils before examining a very dead victim. Presumably to mask the odor of decomposition. I recently had to do some work on my septic system and tried Mentholatum brand ointment (dabbed into nostrils) to make the job a little less disgusting. It worked somewhat. I was thinking that the "real-deal" product used by CSI types might be a handy addition to the bags I keep NBC suits, masks, gloves, etc. in. That same gear might be worn in a worst case disaster if dead or decayed victims need to be dealt with for health reasons. Hopefully, that's a little far-fetched, but if you've ever been around a large, decomposing mammal, the smell can stop you in your tracks. Any suggestions, and my apologizes if I grossed anyone out!

Offline CulturedFool

• Prepper
  • To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
Re: Odor Blocker
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
I do not remember that scene in the movie however in my time volunteering at the local firehouse we had to remove several decaying bodies and the odor blocker of choice was vicks vaporub.  It really does work, doesn't take it all away but most of it

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Another good choice is Watkins Menthol and Camphor

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll give the Vicks a try, it's maybe a little stronger than Mentholatum (which is really meant as a sore muscle rub). Back before the Millennium issue, our neighborhood had some basic plans for disposal of garbage, in a central burn area. We had also discussed how to cold store the bodies of the dead (being as how it was winter, we figured digging graves would be difficult at best). Of course, this was thinking ahead to some potentially really bad times if there was a serious disruption in services or fatalities due to cold, disease or violence. We were glad that the Y2K issue resolved as it did. It did bring some of the neighbors together in a constructive way, to plan for even those extreme measures and to reassure each other that we would work together and share resources if things went totally bad. 

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
I have used Vicks when working on infected wounds. It really does help cut the smell.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »
NOXO comes in packets and a small plastic clamshell, smells like Vanilla. used in Funeral homes too. Avail on EBAY too

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:21 AM »
Who do these tips work?
Is it a smell against smell thing, or the camfor preoccupies them mind?
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page