Author Topic: trying to get my ccw  (Read 2163 times)

Offline raptorscott1

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
trying to get my ccw
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »
i live in cali which everyone and there mother says its impossible to carry unless your a cop.   

im 23 a college grad and eagle scout and im a process server so i kick people out of there houses.  well i give them there papers anyways.

anyone know how to actually get my license in cali? and what it takes?

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My 13-In-13 Page
Re: trying to get my ccw
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
I live in SoCal, and they are pretty much right. I used to live in the ghetto and used to fear walking from my apartments Parking lot to my apartment and I was denied a CCW. No felonies, full time job, etc. Commiefornia is ridiculous.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:29 AM »
It is very hard to get a CCW in CA but it can be done. Go through Cal CCW forums to help you in the process. Lots of good information on there. I'm not holding my breath on getting one until I move out of state.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »
USA Carry also has a good website.  Looking around the reason it is so difficult to get a permit in Cal. if because 2 of the requirements are showing good cause to carry and showing proof of good moral character.  Sounds a lot easier than it is.  They use arbitrary standards to deny people.  If I remember correctly, less than 30,000 people actually have a concealed carry permit in Cal.  And a significant portion of those who apply are denied.  They actually call friends and aquaintences to ask about your moral character.  All it takes is one person who doesn't like guns to give one negative comment and you are probably denied.

Want to increase your odds of getting a concealed carry permit?  Move.

I know that is not always an option, so that answer was tongue in cheek, but still with a grain of truth.  Either way, good luck and let us know how the process goes.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
1. Become a movie star

2. Or, get elected to Congress

3. Get hired onto Diane Feinstein's security detail

4. Move

My brother lives in rural N. Cali and it is hard/impossible to get a permit even there.  Rumor has it that a few rural county sheriffs are more inclined to issue permits (maybe Mojave or someplace?).  You should check the Calguns forum as there is a lot of good info about all the CA specific laws there.

Oregon and Washington are shall issue states, meaning the sheriff has to issue a permit unless you fail one of the legislated criteria, but it is not left to his discretion.  CA is NOT a shall issue state, it is a may issue state and most sheriffs believe there is no reason at all for you to carry.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
You can always get a Florida permit.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
What county do you live in?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
You can always get a Florida permit.
California does not honor out of state permits.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
California does not honor out of state permits.

That doesn't mean you can't get one.  You can go through all the proper channels and still be one step away from saint-hood and chances are California will still deny your permit.  Getting a Florida permit, even though it isn't honored in California, Nevada, or Oregon still allows you to demonstrate that you can get a permit somewhere and have a degree of responsibility.  It might also be pointless.  Your choice.  I would still advocate leaving while you still can.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
There is a lot of confusion/bad info about Ca CCW laws. It is wholly dependent on what county you are in. Some counties are Shall Issue. Many are May Issue (and actually issue a lot of permits). Calccw.com is a great resource. I am pretty involved in this, and have done a lot of research on it. If anyone has questions, tell me what county you're in and I can help let you know if you have a chance, and help walk you through the process.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
Sir, I am from Contra Costa Country. What are my odds?

Offline Winston Smith

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
I believe you can legally open carry in CA as long as there isn't a round chambered or a magazine inserted in the gun, and that you are required to allow an officer to inspect your firearm if they ask.  I don't think you need to have a permit, but I'd check into it.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
We used to be able to open carry in CA up until Jan 1st of this year. Gov Brown made it so we couldn't =\

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »
Sir, I am from Contra Costa Country. What are my odds?

Alameda county here.  Hai crunchdog!
applejak

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
 :P Well, you're both in no-go counties. Let's start with this; Sonoma, Marin, Solano, Contra Costa, Alameda, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA, and Imperial. For all intents and purposes, these are non-issue counties. San Diego, Orange, and Yolo, almost as bad, though not completely unheard of. The rest, it's possible, or even likely, depending on your "Good Cause" statement. I will not discuss GC statements on open forums. If the ones that seem to be working become cookie cutter, they may stop working. Anything more specific, feel free to ask. If I can't answer, I'll at least point you in the right direction.

(And if that list of no-gos looks long, remember, there are A LOT more counties in CA than that. We are probably close to 75% shall issue, at least by area, if not population.)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
I don't really know, but I would think Kern County would be a bit more willing to issue since that includes a lot of rural and farming/ranching areas.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:15 AM »
I don't really know, but I would think Kern County would be a bit more willing to issue since that includes a lot of rural and farming/ranching areas.
Spot-on.  Kern is great about issuing.  If I recall, they have one of the highest rates of permits/citizens.

Offline RabidTurkey

• Prepper
  • Head Turkey
    • Rabid Turkey Farms
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
How about Merced County?
Last I had hear it was tough but some things may have been pushed through to make it simpler. It seems super confusing.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
Merced Co is known to issue, but they are pretty strict about good cause. They want to see something that shows that you are more of a target than the average person. Again, I can't say enough good about CalCCW.com. They are hugely helpful. Go sign up, and once you are into the system, they have County specific sub-forums that you can get access to. Do a bunch of looking around and reading there before you ask questions. Most questions are answered pretty well in the archives somehwere. Main point of advice; dont go asking about what GC works, they get that question so much, it tends to make people grumpy ::)

Offline Saber19

• Prepper
  • Native Homesteader
    • Native Homesteading Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:44:53 PM »
Why is Cali so unconstitutional....Ugh, it's disgusting.
"If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?" - Anonymous

Come check out my blog to read more about our work on the homestead and the journey to a more self sufficient nature! - http://nativehomesteading.blogspot.com/

Offline kellgy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »
16onRockandRoll,

So how about San Bernardino County? I would like to look into articulating my "good cause" reasons and believe they are legitimate.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:29 AM »
Alameda county here.  Hai crunchdog!

I used to live in Alameda, on the Naval base actually in the early 90s. Cool seeing someone from the area on here! Are they ccw friendly there?

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 04:25:29 AM »
I used to live in Alameda, on the Naval base actually in the early 90s. Cool seeing someone from the area on here! Are they ccw friendly there?

Don't know about the ccw friendly I never thought it possible.  I literally have never seen anyone with a gun on the street except a LEO or a doj officer and that includes bad guys and i live in Oakland. 
Why is Cali so unconstitutional is a good question.  I guess it's weird to think about if you've only live here and no where else.

Mentality and perspective changes from state to state.
applejak

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
San Berdo is considered Shall Issue, Alameda is, for all intents and purposes, no-go.