Author Topic: looking for books or remedies for stress headaches ..  (Read 1882 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
looking for books or remedies for stress headaches ..
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
 I have had stress headaches off and on for many years. I am interested in recommendations for books to read on the topic, herbs, or fairly inexpensive heal yourself type approaches. I need to really work on this and see if there is any hope. I want to at least give it an all out shot.

Back around 2004 I started having headaches that lasted for 3 days in a row. This started happening about once every 6 or 7 weeks I'd say. It may have been partly related to my job at the time. Even though I had plenty of time off, there was weird office politics going on that was very stressfull. At that time I found if I had a little romance in my life it seemed to help, but then also that job eventually ended in 2006. It may sound strange that I try to find a girlfriend for that reason, but it is kind of true. I also found sometimes even a hug could help me.

I've been doing meditations of various sorts for many years. I am always open to new approaches as there are many different kinds of meditations, but meditation in general is not new to me.

In general I do not like synthetic or lab type medications prescribed by doctors ..

If I changed my lifestyle dramatically, it could make a difference, but I am a software engineer and that's mostly all I know as far as career stuff goes. I like it pretty good and it can have some good days, other times it can be stressful a bit. That seems typical of what many people go through though maybe not everyone.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:05:51 AM by surfivor »

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
Re: looking for books or remedies for stress headaches ..
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago, but I just found it.  Sorry!

I have had migraines for 20 years, mostly due to food preservative intolerances (sulfites, sodium nitrite), drops in barometric pressure (incoming storms), and sudden rises in blood pressure (customer randomly start screaming at me because I work for the most despised company in the state.

I was getting them about every other week (on the right side of my head) and they lasted 3 days, so life pretty much sucked, especially since I work outdoors and stare at shiny objects in the sun all day.  I cut out grains (especially gluten) and the frequency was cut in half.  Great, but I wanted more.

I did some research and started taking magnesium, and now I very rarely get them at all.  I take kind of a high dose, so you may want to start at a lower one, but I take 400mg in the morning and 400mg at night.  If you take too much, it just makes you poop, which is also a good thing if that's an issue (sorry for the TMI - just trying to be helpful).  Also, taking it before bedtime helps most people sleep better.

I know you said tension headache, not migraine, but they're very closely related, and most people are deficient in magnesium anyway.  Just something to try that doesn't do any harm.
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Believe it or not I've found a bit of lavender essential oil on the temples and then some on the wrist that you can occasionally sniff really does help.  It's pretty cheap and it can't hurt to try.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
Peppermint candy and Dramamine may help.

Mind games
We as part of survival instincts have what psychologists call negativity bias. In the cave man days those that always looked for doom and gloom (like the saber tooth tiger) tended to survive longer. Over the generations we have continued to hone this mechanism. Simply put negativity bias means we tend to look for worst case scenarios to prevent imaginary or real harm.

A tool to keep negativity bias at bay:
The next time you are having feelings of doom and gloom, write them down. Continue to write down every negative thing you feel can harm you, whether imaginary or real. After you write all the possible doom and bloom scenarios that you actually feel can happen (and not shit that you just make up), stop and take a break.

Do some deep breathing from the diaphragm for at least 1 minute. Focus on a single point in the room and stare at it. Begin counting backwards from 1000 in 3's. Once your breathing relaxes, and you feel like your in a rhythm go back to the sheet of paper.

On the far right hand side of the paper jot down every extreme good outcome that could happen from the problem. Do this until you run out of feeling that these good outcomes are exhausted.

In the middle of the sheet split the difference and write down what the most probable outcome is based on the worst case and best case for each bullet point. After you come up with a list of most probable, go to another sheet or leave some room on the bottom for planning.

The Plan covers every single bullet point you put down for most probable. Address feelings, relationships to other people, the event your worried about, and how you will plan for most likely.

Another technique is do simple math. Another good technique is write down all the good things that have happened today and write your reflection on why they are good.

Hope it helps more to follow on building mental toughness.
"you can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:48:34 AM »
Peppermint candy and Dramamine may help.

Mind games
We as part of survival instincts have what psychologists call negativity bias. In the cave man days those that always looked for doom and gloom (like the saber tooth tiger) tended to survive longer. Over the generations we have continued to hone this mechanism. Simply put negativity bias means we tend to look for worst case scenarios to prevent imaginary or real harm.

A tool to keep negativity bias at bay:
The next time you are having feelings of doom and gloom, write them down. Continue to write down every negative thing you feel can harm you, whether imaginary or real. After you write all the possible doom and bloom scenarios that you actually feel can happen (and not shit that you just make up), stop and take a break.

Do some deep breathing from the diaphragm for at least 1 minute. Focus on a single point in the room and stare at it. Begin counting backwards from 1000 in 3's. Once your breathing relaxes, and you feel like your in a rhythm go back to the sheet of paper.

On the far right hand side of the paper jot down every extreme good outcome that could happen from the problem. Do this until you run out of feeling that these good outcomes are exhausted.

In the middle of the sheet split the difference and write down what the most probable outcome is based on the worst case and best case for each bullet point. After you come up with a list of most probable, go to another sheet or leave some room on the bottom for planning.

The Plan covers every single bullet point you put down for most probable. Address feelings, relationships to other people, the event your worried about, and how you will plan for most likely.

Another technique is do simple math. Another good technique is write down all the good things that have happened today and write your reflection on why they are good.

Hope it helps more to follow on building mental toughness.

That's like what Dale Carnegie says to love god, give thanks for what you have, count your blessings ..

or as one person said "my life has been a series of many disasters, most of which never happened"

or 'today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday'

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:34:41 AM »
Lavender essential oil but just use a little as essential oils are very strong and could irritate the skin. You can also make a tincture of lavender, add it to a spray bottle and spay it around you a bit or on some clothes. It smells great. I even spray it on the dog to make her smell better.  :) Also you can try a few different teas sipped through the day. lavender, peppermint, lemon balm, and chamomile teas. You can also try using hops in your pillow. It helps you relax at night.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »
Lots of good solutions to prevent them, but if you've got one and are trying to make it go away.... A doctor told me once that a tension headache is often muscle related (there are a lot of muscles on the head).  That said, most people don't use something like ibuprophen for a headache but that or a muscle relaxer can help for tension headaches.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
First, make sure it IS a tension headache, not the result of something else - disc problems, tumors, etc. I also suffer from tension headaches, or cluster headaches - getting two or three good ones a year that totally kick my ass. What I've found that works are PMS medications - Midol, Pamparin, etc. Sounds funny, but a cramp is a cramp, no matter which muscle group it occurs in.

If that doesn't work, and I'm contemplating jamming a sharp stick in my eye to make the pain go away, I'll draw the blinds, send the Mrs. out shopping, take a vicodin and lay down until its gone. I don't like pain meds, but there are times........ Needless to say, check with your doctor and use common sense.

soupbone
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »
First make sure you don't have something seriously wrong with you.  See your DR.  If all that checks out.  Massage.    THE TRIGGER POINT THERAPY WORKBOOK BY CLAIR DAVIES IS GOOD. That can be a good book for the DIY.  Good direction.  Easy to follow and understand. 

Depending the location of the pain there are areas to work that can decrease the duration pain & frequency.  Not all massage is created equal.  I had several clients that would come in with headaches and 15 min later they were gone.  Touch is very very healing.   

Of course you need to find the root cause of them.  otherwise you are just putting a band aid on and masking the problem.  If it is strictly stress related muscles get tight ligaments get tight and then everything can get out of whack.  Also if you have an energy blockage. 

Since you are infront of a computer it may be related to the way you sit or your eyes or your jaws.  Maybe eye strain.  Maybe you have a tooth that is higher and needs filed down a bit.  Really not enough info for me to help nail it down.  A good LMP LMT should be able to help you with that.  Not tell you what is wrong but guide you to be able to figure it out.

Even acupuncture or a chiropractor or OD may be able to help.  Personally I like to try the least invasive first.  Course some feel that would be massage  ;)    I had one client that it no matter what I did it just didn't help long term.  I kept telling her it was in her gut.  That didn't make sense to her.  Long story short she had crones disease. 

There are some ways to work on your self that can be very helpful.  If this is new to you and you want more detailed information I would be glad to help any way I can.  Just PM me. 

I know this can make life just a real bummer.  Hubby and son both had full blown migraines and I have had a few with tons of tension headaches.  Sons headaches were food related  hubby's was natural gas related allergy.   He was allergic to the scent they put in natural gas and in propane.  That was a hard one to figure out.  Me I was just high strung and had some jaw problems mostly stressed induced. 

Some general rules of thought.  At first sign of headache or stress drink water.  I mean DRINK WATER.    Second rule after 20 minutes is DRINK WATER.  (works for back aches too)  Tiger balm on the temples can be helpful.  Or a frozen pack ice bag bag of frozen peas or a frozen hand towel that has been rolled up.  Place on the back of the neck.  Some times on the crown of the head helps too.  Unless you have renalds disease  (shoot can't remember how to spell it) then you would use heat. 

You can also feel around your jaw both externally and inside your mouth.  People would be quite surprised how tight those muscles can be.  Also feeling around your eye sockets you may find quite a few knots.  Or on the front of your neck around your collar bone.  That will be very true if you have pain behind your eyes or just above your eyes.  FROM TPT BOOK look up  the sternocleidomastoid that one can cause tons of issues.   Be gentle use clean hands and avoid getting the Tiger Balm into your eyes!!! 

I would also expect that there is a great possibility ( again if muscle stress related)  given your line of work under your shoulder blade would be a common issue place.  Again not enough info here.

Just remember if you are new to massage and body work there are hundreds of modalities.  After working for 20 + yrs 15 of which were licensed I personally was trained in 18 different styles (at last count)  that merged into my own style.  So you might have to hunt around a bit.  People are different styles are different.  I would say any one you go to that is good will give you some sort of money back guarantee.  I always offered that and only had to give money back once.  That was perfectly fine with me.  I even then helped them find someone they could work with.  Nobody has all the answers. 

Good luck hope you can nail this one down. 
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
I should mention it is my belief that massage should never ever ever be PAINFUL.  Any one that says no pain no gain does not know what the hell they are doing.  Even if they are calling it deep tissue.   So if those trigger points are to painful to work then easy does it or any area for that matter.   A "hurts so good feeling" is ok in small amounts but PAIN NO WAY!

For those that don't feel comfortable about disrobing there are types of body work where you leave your clothes on.  Just make sure you have your comfiest on without metal.  Sweats and a baggy shirt would do.

Dang I miss this line of work Sorry to ramble. 

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
I should mention it is my belief that massage should never ever ever be PAINFUL.  Any one that says no pain no gain does not know what the hell they are doing.  Even if they are calling it deep tissue.   So if those trigger points are to painful to work then easy does it or any area for that matter.   A "hurts so good feeling" is ok in small amounts but PAIN NO WAY!

For those that don't feel comfortable about disrobing there are types of body work where you leave your clothes on.  Just make sure you have your comfiest on without metal.  Sweats and a baggy shirt would do.

Dang I miss this line of work Sorry to ramble.

personally I love downright painful massages.... different strokes for different folks.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
personally I love downright painful massages.... different strokes for different folks.

Then for you that would be a hurts so good!  That is fine.  There is a difference. 

Offline Bolomark

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
migraine, tension, and sinus headaches here.
1.when you feel your muscles tighten start slow stretching.
2.take as pain killer as early as possible.
3. drink plenty of water with an electrolyte mix.muscles need the fluid balance to work correctly.
4.exercise everyday.walking for me helps loosen the back.
5.tried acupressure didn't work for me.
if its an optical trigger try polarizing glasses.
when a person has a headache i can see it in their eyes.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
when a person has a headache i can see it in their eyes.

My friend says the same thing when I have one.  She can always tell, even if I'm acting like I'm fine.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
Then for you that would be a hurts so good!  That is fine.  There is a difference.

im sure theres some sort of study out there about the fine line between pleasure/pain... hell I even look forward to the pain of getting tattoos.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
im sure theres some sort of study out there about the fine line between pleasure/pain... hell I even look forward to the pain of getting tattoos.

Yup  I love having my teeth worked on.  Don't like the chair it's self but the dental work is a good pain for me.  Mmmm hurts so good.  lol

Offline WakingUp

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
I have to second the suggestion for essential oils, either rubbed on the temples or simply by opening up the bottle and taking a few slow, deep breaths through your nose. When I was at my desk job I would keep rosemary oil close at hand. Anytime I would start to feel tension creeping up I would hit the bottle. It always amazed me how much it would relax my shoulder and neck muscles and just make me smile a bit.

Also, one of the best thing I ever did for my chronic headaches was to quit smoking cigarettes. Not sure if that's a habit you've picked up or not, but it's worth mentioning just in case. I used to get TERRIBLE migraines when I was a smoker; they I haven't had one in the 6 years since I quit. I hope you find a solution!

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »
You mentioned having a weird office politics that brought on headaches.

Catastrophizing
Is a term created by DOD to explain what some of us do in highly critical or prolonged chronic stressful situations. Some in the military do very well in stressful situations, but need help when our natural sleep patterns are interrupted, we get physically sick or injured, or when the very support network is part of the problem.

Catastrophizing happens when the flight or fight mechanism kicks in. This brain has a hiccup that can't tell when a threat is real or imaginary. The FF mechanism is perfectly fine when the threat is real. When the threat is imaginary, or in your head, this becomes a problem. The brain cannot tell sometimes the differences. It is helpful then to determine if the threat is real or in your head.

The brain slows down the frontal lobes and middle brain takes over. Cortisol and adreneline get dumped into the body. The eyes focus on the threat. Blood gets pumped to your arms or legs. You start sweating. You may start pacing and pumping your hands or slapping them.

This is a real problem if the threat is in your head. You can do deep diaphragmatic breathing to come back to center, talk to yourself in an effort to look for the positive and reenergize the frontal lobes, cool off by removing clothing and drinking cold water, etc.     

Forms of catastrophizing
Downward spinal
Each negative thought leads to an ever downward thought that becomes worse in your head. 
Example
Problem:  you just lost your job with no notice.
Downward spiral:  "I just lost my job, I'm a failure, we are going to loose the house, my wife is going to leave, the kids will hate me, I'm going to commit suicide, my wife will take the insurance money and find a new sugar daddy, my kids will spend the insurance money after I'm dead on drugs and alcohol".

Scattershot catastrophizing
Each thought reinforces negative thoughts and are a wide range of issues to varying degrees.
Example: I just lost my job with no notice
"I just lost my job, my oldest is going to freak out, the electric is going to get turned off, I can't get that surgery I needed, my wife will think I'm a loser, I can't get those new chrome 24" rims, I'm going to commit suicide". 

Circular
Problem drives thought and then back to the problem again.
"I just lost my job, I'm going to loose everything cause I just lost my job and I'm going to loose everything cause I lost my job I'm a loser, etc."

Read up on positive psychology and coping mechanisms. figure out the problem, figure out the most likely outcome, figure out what you can control and influence, and focus on what you can control. Work on what you can actually influence, and completely shelve the circle of concern. Leaders use fear to rile people up as a technique of influence (and control). A fearful person is very easy to infuence. Stop listening to office workers that you don't have repore with, and focus on what you can positively influence.

Hope it helps. Mental toughness is a skill that takes education, awareness, and actual practice to get better at. I've met some Soldiers that were hard core fighters that latter in life are completely broken psychologically. Don't fall victim of not being mentally tough. I feel it is the single defining tool, if highly developed, gives the best chance of survival.

"You can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
You mentioned having a weird office politics that brought on headaches.

Catastrophizing
Is a term created by DOD to explain what some of us do in highly critical or prolonged chronic stressful situations. Some in the military do very well in stressful situations, but need help when our natural sleep patterns are interrupted, we get physically sick or injured, or when the very support network is part of the problem.

Catastrophizing happens when the flight or fight mechanism kicks in. This brain has a hiccup that can't tell when a threat is real or imaginary. The FF mechanism is perfectly fine when the threat is real. When the threat is imaginary, or in your head, this becomes a problem. The brain cannot tell sometimes the differences. It is helpful then to determine if the threat is real or in your head.

The brain slows down the frontal lobes and middle brain takes over. Cortisol and adreneline get dumped into the body. The eyes focus on the threat. Blood gets pumped to your arms or legs. You start sweating. You may start pacing and pumping your hands or slapping them.

This is a real problem if the threat is in your head. You can do deep diaphragmatic breathing to come back to center, talk to yourself in an effort to look for the positive and reenergize the frontal lobes, cool off by removing clothing and drinking cold water, etc.     

Forms of catastrophizing
Downward spinal
Each negative thought leads to an ever downward thought that becomes worse in your head. 
Example
Problem:  you just lost your job with no notice.
Downward spiral:  "I just lost my job, I'm a failure, we are going to loose the house, my wife is going to leave, the kids will hate me, I'm going to commit suicide, my wife will take the insurance money and find a new sugar daddy, my kids will spend the insurance money after I'm dead on drugs and alcohol".

Scattershot catastrophizing
Each thought reinforces negative thoughts and are a wide range of issues to varying degrees.
"I just lost my job, my oldest is going to freak out, the electric is going to get turned off, I can't get that surgery I needed, my wife will think I'm a loser, I can't get those new chrome 24" rims, I'm going to commit suicide". 

Circular
Problem drives thought and then back to the problem again.
"I just lost my job, I'm going to loose everything cause I just lost my job and I'm going to loose everything cause I lost my job I'm a loser, etc."

Read up on positive psychology and coping mechanisms. figure out the problem, figure out the most likely outcome, figure out what you can control and influence, and focus on what you can control. Work on what you can actually influence, and completely shelve the circle of concern. Leaders use fear to rile people up as a technique of influence (and control). A fearful person is very easy to infuence. Stop listening to office workers that you don't have repore with, and focus on what you can positively influence.

Hope it helps. Mental toughness is a skill that takes education, awareness, and actual practice to get better at. I've met some Soldiers that were hard core fighters that latter in life are completely broken psychologically. Don't fall victim of not being mentally tough. I feel it is the single defining tool, if highly developed, gives the best chance of survival.

"You can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"

That was back around 2004-2005 or such that we had the office politics thing and I read all kinds of books and some of them mentioned stuff like you are saying here. These books where not necessarily headache books, they where books on anxiety, anger,
control issues, manipulation and so on. I actually used to carry around a little digital recorder. I had an idea if someone tried to use some kind of verbal abuse on me, I could pull out the tape recorder and say something like "would you care to repeat that ?". I realize there are legal implications and all that, but it made me feel good to have the recorder. I felt like it was a little weapon and I used to explain to friends why I had it and we had a good laugh. I also had it with me if I got called into a meeting I could have it in my shirt pocket as it was very small. I never did that, but a guy I worked with there was fired and they blamed him for something he didn't do just so they had an excuse for firing him. That ticked me off so much that I was in a meeting and I walked out I was so disgusted then they hauled me into someone's office and told me not to do that again.

The idea for using the recorder that way came from a book which I forget the exact title. It's not in the book but something kind of similar.

I also had "the art of war" on my IPod and I liked to listen to that as well as the biblical psalms. I also used my digital recorder for journaling and speaking out what was bothered me into the recorder. I made my own audio recording by narrating certain sections of "healing anger" by the dalai lama. That book is based on "the boddhisatvas way of life" an ancient text. I highlighted sections of the book and read them into a tape recorder. Later I moved it onto my IPod.

There was certain other perks that I had with that job that made it hard to leave at the time.

I think I had also seen a book recently on trigger point therapy on amazon that had some good reviews.

I just bought this one though based on favorable reviews, I am not sure what kind of a read it will be:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738210390/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

"All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache"

I have this from years back just came across it on my bookshelf:
"Natural Relief from Headaches, Insomnia & Stress: Safe, Effective Herbal Remedies"

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Relief-Headaches-Insomnia-Stress/dp/0879839821/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355973965&sr=1-20&keywords=stress+headache

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:53:27 PM by surfivor »

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/cg/Courses/cgt411/covey/48_laws_of_power.htm

Extreme Office politics blows and is similar to a war w/o bullets. People are savy, especially those that rise within a corporate structure. They know very well how to employ what the military coins "soft power".  In a nutshell it means getting others to do stuff while they take the credit, without pissing off others. The link is a taste of the idea of using soft power to influence. My take on the whole thing is nihilist will use soft power for selfish altruistic goals, while the collaborator will use soft power to progress the organization as a whole. If you find the 48 laws useful, then I would recommend getting the full audible version at audible.com. The author is Robert Greene.

I had a friend at work that used to right every conversation down. I thought that was crazy until I saw a neighbor that we worked with doing the same. I guess in the end it doesn't take much to poison an organization, one or two bad actors can screw it up for everybody. Look at NASAs downward managerial spin as a history lesson.

At this work setting I went the other way. Instead of writing things down, I took people for their word. I also participated in every extra activity such as hazmat team, review boards, root cause analysis, etc.  It didn't matter, the bad actors always brought me back down. Finding little growth for opportunity in such a flat organization, I got off the X, and took a buy out.

It sounds like you have moved on. Have you discussed the crap you went through with friends, family, or others?  I find it helps to just get it off my chest, usually with a co worker, wife, or neutral friend.
Old Afghan Proverb

Offline weekender

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
For me, ice cream can be a trigger.  But it doesn't usually hit until the next day, so it took some time to make the connection. 

Acupuncture or good chiropractic (working on the bones of the head especially, or even NET - neuro-emotional technique) can be very helpful.

Offline Stachys

• Prepper
  • Winter is coming.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
http://7song.com/files/Herbalists%20View-%20Headaches.pdf

'An Herbalist's View of Headaches'

Thanks,
 I just printed that out ..

I tried some Turmeric recently which seemed to help some. I am not sure what is the best way to use that.
cooking it in a stir fry or something seemed better than just taking it straight.

Offline BevHoward

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
At the first sign of a migraine (visual sparklers in my case) immediately take an alka-seltzer.

Someone turned me on to this almost two decades ago and where migraines would take me out for at least 24 hours, they are no longer a factor for more than a half hour.  A few minutes after drinking the solution, a burp signals the chemistry change in the gut.

Since the recommendation, I have found medical papers on this approach that document the reasons... not important for me... I just know it works... and it has worked for everyone I have given a packet to when they report they have them.  When I asked the last person I gave one to if it had helped, her response was "Changed my Life!"

Beverly Howard

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
I have had the best luck with Peppermint essential oil. I take a couple drops and rub it on my temples. If it is really bad I take another drop and rub it across my forehead. I've also read rubbing some behind the ears helps, but I have had mixed results with that. My father and sister fight migraines and both of them have tried this with marginal success. My dad says it alleviates some of the pain if not all and he is the worst in the family, so I would say that is good success.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
At the first sign of a migraine (visual sparklers in my case) immediately take an alka-seltzer.

Someone turned me on to this almost two decades ago and where migraines would take me out for at least 24 hours, they are no longer a factor for more than a half hour.  A few minutes after drinking the solution, a burp signals the chemistry change in the gut.

Since the recommendation, I have found medical papers on this approach that document the reasons... not important for me... I just know it works... and it has worked for everyone I have given a packet to when they report they have them.  When I asked the last person I gave one to if it had helped, her response was "Changed my Life!"

Beverly Howard

Unfortunately, aspirin thins my blood too much, so it's one of my triggers.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
I've been using Western Botanicals headache formula for my headaches, works pretty good:
https://www.westernbotanicals.com/product/Headache-Formula

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/