Author Topic: Flint and Steel Striker  (Read 2455 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Flint and Steel Striker
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
I've been into buckskinning for years (reliving the lifestyle of the American Fur Trade Era, 1800-1840). One of the skills from that time is using a flint and steel to make fire. As part of my survivalist interests I commissioned a blacksmith friend to forge me a steel belt buckle. I had him make it rectangular and had it tempered to act a "striker". I've worn it on a Carhart leather belt, so that I always have a way to start a fire (given that I would need a piece of flinty-like stone and some tinder). Once you've learned how to strike a fire with a flint and steel, it's really easy and another good survival skill to have. You can potentially find the flint and tinder, but a good high carbon, properly tempered steel strike can't really be fabricated in the field.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
Re: Flint and Steel Striker
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:53:56 AM »
Do you have a photo of this firemaking belt buckle?  You might have a product line here!
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Note quite the same thing..  But Dave Canterbury had a blacksmith forge a Cloak pin/Awl/Striker.

It's 'Period' for some of what he apparently does but will do more then the one thing.  He did a short video of it, using the awl to add a hole in his leather belt, strike a fire and then as a clasp for his 'blanket' cloak.

Pretty neat, as Nate said,.. do you have photo?
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
Here are some pics I attempted to post from Photobucket.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »
Looks rustic yet cool.  I like it.  Do you worry about rusting with this buckle?
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
For whatever reason, the buckle has never rusted, corroded or stained any clothing. I like the Carhart belt because I can unsnap the buckle, making it easier to use as a striker. When the blacksmiths I know complete a piece, they usually rub on some beeswax from a big block. The metal should be hot enough to create smoke. I think the wax penetrates into the pores of the metal. You get a nice dark finish that seems to resist corrosion, without a waxy surface. While we are on the subject of firestarting: I'm testing something out. I always carry a lighter (I don't smoke) and have carried a Ronson refillable butane from Walmart. I really like Zippo lighters, but they dry out as the fluid evaporates. I read somewhere that if you cut a section of the right size bicycle inner tube (about an inch long) and slide it up over the gap of the lighter case, it acts as a seal and the lighter will not go dry. I tried it and so far so good. It's inconvienient to get the inner tube to slide on (tight) so for a smoker this wouldn't work. But to have a "full" Zippo in an emergency woud be great. I figure lighter fluid, gasoline, or other flammable liquids would be easier to come by than a butane refill tank.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
I figure lighter fluid, gasoline, or other flammable liquids would be easier to come by than a butane refill tank.

Such as "purely medicinal" alcohol?   :o
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
might as well buy a flint rod, and find a place to stash some char cloth.
http://blog.larrydgray.net My Blog, survival, off-grid, self-sufficiency, energy-efficiency, homesteading, owner buidling
http://larrydgray.net  Off-Grid, Outdoors and other stuff.
http://arksoft.org Java Programming
http://off-grid.net  A good off grid living web site and forum.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
For whatever reason, the buckle has never rusted, corroded or stained any clothing. I like the Carhart belt because I can unsnap the buckle, making it easier to use as a striker. When the blacksmiths I know complete a piece, they usually rub on some beeswax from a big block. The metal should be hot enough to create smoke. I think the wax penetrates into the pores of the metal. You get a nice dark finish that seems to resist corrosion, without a waxy surface. While we are on the subject of firestarting: I'm testing something out. I always carry a lighter (I don't smoke) and have carried a Ronson refillable butane from Walmart. I really like Zippo lighters, but they dry out as the fluid evaporates. I read somewhere that if you cut a section of the right size bicycle inner tube (about an inch long) and slide it up over the gap of the lighter case, it acts as a seal and the lighter will not go dry. I tried it and so far so good. It's inconvienient to get the inner tube to slide on (tight) so for a smoker this wouldn't work. But to have a "full" Zippo in an emergency woud be great. I figure lighter fluid, gasoline, or other flammable liquids would be easier to come by than a butane refill tank.
can you post a picture of this?

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Here is a pic of the Zippo lighter setup. it's pretty self-explanatory. The trick is to find a bicycle innertube that is small enough to have to be somewhat stretched to fit over the lighter case. I bought one at Walmart (yes, I know I shall burn in hell eternally); it's a weird racing bike size, not a mountain bike tube. I don't have the packaging, but it was a 700...something. Cost $4.99. I plan on using the remainder for my other Zippos and make the rest into "Ranger Bands" and an elstic two point sling. Elsewhere on the Forum someone suggested that strips of innertube make a very good waterproof tinder. So with this setup I have not only sealed my Zippo, but I always have some tinder for emergency firestarting. Also, The rubber has alot of friction, the lighter won't slip out of your pocket or fingers.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
It would be cool to have a belt, buckle that could store some char cloth and the flint rod. Also known as ferocium rod. The belt could somehow store the char cloth on the back side maybe. The buckle could incorporate the flint rod maybe.
http://blog.larrydgray.net My Blog, survival, off-grid, self-sufficiency, energy-efficiency, homesteading, owner buidling
http://larrydgray.net  Off-Grid, Outdoors and other stuff.
http://arksoft.org Java Programming
http://off-grid.net  A good off grid living web site and forum.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
I have seen "money belts" that look quite normal, but have a zippered section on the back for safeguarding cash during travel. I would imagine you could store a flat packet of plastic sealed tinder in the compartment and a ferroceram rod striker. Then, depending on the buckle design you could JB Weld a ferroceram rod on the back of the buckle. I like the idea of using a pants belt for a survival stash, it's definitely EDC. I have also fitted out my keychain with a variety of survival items, because I am almost never out-and-about without it. I tuck a few things in my wallet besides, for the same reason. Too much is never enough!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
If I could find a good source for a real Batman utility belt my EDC needs would all be met.  Where does he get those wonderful toys?........
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
I have seen "money belts" that look quite normal, but have a zippered section on the back for safeguarding cash during travel.
http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Money-Belt_ep_59-1.html

Highly recommended.  Removable buckle, too.  Just be sure to read the sizing section carefully.  They are not sized in the same way as a lot of other belts.  Great belt for securing a holster, too.  I've had mine going on three years and while it has developed a worn look to it (not a bad thing in my opinion), it has held up very well and I'd definitely buy another one.  There are a lot of cheaper belts out there, but I've learned that you get what you pay for.  Some that I found that were two for $24 didn't last six months before the zipper blew out.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Zippo Update
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
I just thought I'd post a quick update on my Zippo lighter experiment. I filled it and put on the innertube band on Dec. 1st. Here it is, Chrismas Day and it still lights just fine. Plenty of "juice". I've never gone three weeks without having a Zippo dry out! This seems to be a good idea!

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »
I was searching for lighters on the internet and ran across oil/kerosene lighters. Amazon has some. I got an idea and filled a dry Zippo with kerosene. The flint was not enough to light it. I got it going with a fero rod pretty easy aiming the sparks down the chimney. Maybe a different brand flint would work, I had a Ronsen in mine.After being in my EDC bag a few weeks I went to use it to melt some paracord and it lit pretty easily. Of cause there's kero smell when you open it. One possible plus is it burns with a nice bright yellow flame, like a small kero lantern. I should refill it and see how long it stays wet. I know regular fluid would have dried out by now. Kero just doesn't evaporate as fast. I haven't tried it in wind yet, but it may be worth looking into.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »
My mom bought one of those forever matches. Same concept as a zippo, fills with zippo type fluid, same basic size as a zippo, yet the fluid cannot evaporate except while you are actually using it. Granted she rarely uses it as a cigarette lighter, keeping it instead as more of a backup, but it still has the same fluid in it that she put in it after buying it, and that was over a year ago.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
I saw forever matches while searching around but never actually looked into them. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to check them out.