Author Topic: Arduino & Raspberry Pi projects  (Read 4487 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Arduino projects
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
Look at you breaking out the Moderator kung fu!   ;D
Yeah, we can do stuff like that on threads we are involved in.  But if something turns up on this thread and a mod needs to calm down the argument, I have to pass that off to another mod.

While I really would like to build my own custom multi zone security system..  there are a number of off the shelf systems that are better suited as they have done all the FCC type accepted legal / development work...  One I have been looking at to replace my current (incorrectly wired one) is SimpliSafe.
There's a couple of threads in the Homestead board about do it yourself security systems.  Might want to look in there.  That one you linked to is kind of confusing.  If you look on the features page, it says that the cell monitoring is $15 a month.  But if you look on the pricing page, it says free cell.  Which is it?
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Arduino & Raspberry Pi projects
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
Judging by the use of all the "testimonials" and links to marketing sites (some sites get paid to write good reviews), it looks like a sales heavy/product light business model.  That's just an assumption though.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline justanotherjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
While I really would like to build my own custom multi zone security system..  there are a number of off the shelf systems that are better suited as they have done all the FCC type accepted legal / development work...  One I have been looking at to replace my current (incorrectly wired one) is SimpliSafe.

Will work from a cell phone - no internet needed, all the door and window sensors are wireless. No contracts - you own it.

that is a good price if it actually works good. But the only problem with stuff like that from a no name company is if they go out of business tomorrow the monitoring portion of it is probably worthless.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
backwoods_engineer,

This is another area that I see designing projects for the TSP community and beyond.  I sent you PM about some ideas.  Let me know what you think.

Will do.

Did you hear Jack's show yesterday?  I was thinking about our conversation about coolers during the whole show.

Offline justanotherjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
Since I design with microcontrollers professionally, I write in C rather than the Processing language used by Arduinos.  But I am very interested in the prepping applications of microcontrollers, and particularly the Raspberry Pi.  Flippydiddit and I have been discussing a sequential-cycle solar cooling system, and I think that would be a good application for one as a controller.

backwoods_engineer what do you do for a living? If you dont mind me asking

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
Will do.

Did you hear Jack's show yesterday?  I was thinking about our conversation about coolers during the whole show.

You and me both.  I'm checking the PM now.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
backwoods_engineer what do you do for a living? If you dont mind me asking

I design wireless meter reading equipment for a major utility meter manufacturer.   I do both electronic and software design.

Offline jtcweb

• Prepper
    • My 10 Acres
Re: Arduino & Raspberry Pi projects
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I have a couple of Raspberry PI's and run XBMC on them for playing the video files I've stored on my network.

My next goal is home automation and HVAC control.

Jerry