Author Topic: new pocket knife help  (Read 646 times)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
new pocket knife help
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
I'm looking for a new edc pocket knife. I am stuck between a few models and brands.

Here's a few of the knives I am thinking about: (in no particular order)
Microtech Socom Elite
Cold Steel Ti-lite
CRKT M-16
Smith and Wesson original SWAT medium or full size

Also, I have seen boker's magnum and boker plus lines and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on those knives. They are a cheaper knife and I'm wondering if they are good for the money or if they are pretty typical for that price range.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
Re: new pocket knife help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »
Also, I just saw the new Smith and Wesson line up of otf and side opening assisted openers. They loof pretty neat. Has anyone here any personal experience with them?
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
You have some rather divergent styles and price points there...

I have a Gerber Mini Covert that is a nice slim knife.
The Kabar Dozier folding hunters are nice and under $25.
I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 as my EDC.

I am sure you will get good reviews on the M16.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »
Here's a few of the knives I am thinking about: (in no particular order)

Based on the choices I'm guessing you want a tactical knife?  IMO I like a fixed blade for tactical uses and I probably like different features for different reasons, but I'll give you my .02

Microtech Socom Elite:  There's not a folding knife on this earth that is worth what they want for this one, but looks like a fine knife
Cold Steel Ti-lite:  Again, too pricey and don't like the blade or handle shape 
CRKT M-16:  The overall best of the choices given but am not a fan of a serrated blade
Smith and Wesson original SWAT medium or full size:  Like the pricing better but am not a fan of a serrated blade
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »
Joe and nelson,
  Thanks for the feedback. I don't necessarily WANT a tactical knife, but that tends to be what feels best in my hand and lends itself to ergonomic use in my experiance.
  I had a gerber mini covert and the next size up too, I loved it and hated it for being so damn small. I may go that route, thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't thought about that in a while. Doesn't that one have the slide bar safety to keep it closed?
   And as far as the SOCOM goes, its not the MSRP , its not as rediculous as the resale price on those things. I've owned two original models, and I can't find the original model now even used for under 300 or 400. A new elite model msrp for just over 200 and for that knife, its worth it. It really is. Best folder I have ever owned. Twice. But alas, I don't think I am going to be able to afford it for awhile.  People get real proud of their MT's for good reason, but I'm looking for a work horse and not a shelf piece I shave hair off my arm with to scare my duaghter's boy friend (I don't have a daughter, but if I did, she wouldn't have a boyfriend, and if she did, I would shave hair off my arm to scare him) with, so I don't want to pay for someone's pride.
   The original swats fortunately come in a full plain edge, this may be the routue I end up going, for economy and utility. I can get papa, mama, and baby bear sizes for less than a socom. That's not bad. The ti lites are a bit high, and they seem kinda like a BSK (big scary knife) and the stiletto profile make people and cops raise eyebrows and think they need to watch that guy.
    I will check the Ka-Bar folders out, I like Ka-Bars so their folders should be a good deal for that price. Thanks good info.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »
My EDC pocket knife is a Kershaw Ken Onion designed knife.  It opens very easy one-handed and has a slide blade-lock.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late