Author Topic: American Knight ML questions  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
American Knight ML questions
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
I had an older style American Knight Muzzle loader given to me a few years ago that uses #11 caps. I need a nipple wrench for it, but am confused as to what one to order.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: American Knight ML questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
I just use a needle-nose Gerber for my traditional cap rifles and shotgun.  I do have a nipple wrench for my revolvers due to the recesses in the cylinder, though.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
I just use a needle-nose Gerber for my traditional cap rifles and shotgun.  I do have a nipple wrench for my revolvers due to the recesses in the cylinder, though.

Like a bent 90 degree angle needle nose ? I have a small pair of needle nose that I was going to try to slide down the rear tube. Sorry I'm really struggling with the termanology. I really can't get a grip on the part that hold the rear hammer in. I could get a better grip on it if I took the scope off but, I really don't want to do that, the few times I shot it years ago it was dead on.
That's when I was thinking you might of been talking about some angled needle nose.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
Just straight pliers.  The small nose of the pliers fits well in the flash cup, making a specific wrench unnecessary for me.  But, I don't have a scope or anything to get in the way.

Here's the Gerber:

Here's a rifle with a good view of the nipple (not my pic, but I have a Renegade like this one):

-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »
I can't get a gerber into the breach of mine. I'll have to take a photo of it.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:16:27 AM »
Here's a rifle with a good view of the nipple (not my pic, but I have a Renegade like this one):

I also have a picture of a rifle with a good view of the nipple, although it is probably not considered appropriate.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
I also have a picture of a rifle with a good view of the nipple, although it is probably not considered appropriate.

;D
-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline iam4liberty

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
You will probably want a combo breech plug and nipple wrench set.  Looks like there are two versions that cover all knights; one for slotted heads: http://www.knightrifles.com/combo-tool-slot-M900131/ and one for hex heads: http://www.knightrifles.com/combo-tool-hex-M900134/  You might want to give Knight a call just to to make sure that these are applicable to the pre-2010 models which were made before the company was resurrected.

But $30 bucks for a combo tool is a bit pricey.  The two I use (a TC and a Traditions) were like $10 each.  So it might be worthwhile to try a universal one from another manufacturer and see if it will work.  For example, you could order one like this from amazon to see if it fits the plug head and if not return it: http://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Performance-Firearms-Muzzleloader-Universal/dp/B000GU8TI4

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. I got swapped with work and projects and pretty much missed all of mz season anyway.  Maybe next season.