Author Topic: Gunowner's house burglarized -- thieves carted off his 500-lb gun safe  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
This happened on Thanksgiving Day, a few mles from me in the neighborhood called Sixteen Acres, a pretty modern suburb.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/thieves_break_into_springfield.html

Thieves break into Springfield home, steal 500-pound gun safe containing 15 weapons

By Patrick Johnson, The Republican  -- November 27, 2012

... The guns were locked securely inside the safe, Delaney said, but the safe itself was not anchored in place. When the robbers could not open the safe inside the house, they picked it up and carried it out of the house, he said....

... The safe was later found, broken open and stripped of any weapons or ammunition, he said...

The news item doesn't say WHERE the cracked-open gun safe turned up. 

And just for clarification's sake, the local newspaper here in Springfield used to be called the Springfield Daily Republican. It later got shortened to just The Republican. So the reporter named Partick Johnson who wrote this article is being identified up above as a staff member at that newspaper. (In other words, he may or may not be a member of the GOP, which is entirely irrelevent here.)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
Re: Gunowner's house burglarized -- thieves carted off his 500-lb gun safe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
A lesson for all of us.  There are four holes in the bottom of these safes to anchor them down!

It is rather easy to throw a bucket of golf balls on the floor, tip the safe over and roll it out the door.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
A lesson for all of us.  There are four holes in the bottom of these safes to anchor them down!

It is rather easy to throw a bucket of golf balls on the floor, tip the safe over and roll it out the door.
Yep. Purchase a quality safe also.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »
What is the proper way to anchor a safe to the floor? If the floor is accessible underneath via a basement, couldn't the thieves just break off the bolts or unscrew the nuts? Maybe some Loctite or weld the nuts on?
Lifetime MSB member before it was cool...

"I don't believe in organizing, I don't believe in the supposed revolution, I don't believe in politics, I don't believe in protesting, I don't believe in educating the masses, etc.
All fruitless meaningless exercises in this age of apathy and control. I realized that what I do believe in is taking proactive steps to make my world a better place for everyone by making choices in my own personal life."
- Comrade Tweek

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
What is the proper way to anchor a safe to the floor? If the floor is accessible underneath via a basement, couldn't the thieves just break off the bolts or unscrew the nuts? Maybe some Loctite or weld the nuts on?

Well, once again, most people opt for convenience rather than security, like many other things.

A safe in the basement isn't convenient.  After all, you might have to walk down all those stairs, open your safe, get  your guns out, walk back upstairs and then do it all over when you're done working (playing) with your favorite weapon.

Secondly, if you DO mount the safe on a floor that is accessible from underneath, you would put the bolthead underneath and the nuts inside the safe.  It's much harder to access from beneath, that way.  And no, you wouldn't weld them into place.

The Professor

On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
Well, once again, most people opt for convenience rather than security, like many other things.

A safe in the basement isn't convenient.  After all, you might have to walk down all those stairs, open your safe, get  your guns out, walk back upstairs and then do it all over when you're done working (playing) with your favorite weapon.

Secondly, if you DO mount the safe on a floor that is accessible from underneath, you would put the bolthead underneath and the nuts inside the safe.  It's much harder to access from beneath, that way.  And no, you wouldn't weld them into place.

The Professor

the reason you mentioned is the primary reason I'm NOT putting it in the basement! Uh, hypothetically speaking. What safe? ;) I meant that the floor I'm putting it on could be accessed underneath in the basement. I will put the nuts on the inside, why didn't I think of that? I must have failed that engineering class in college. Just had a DUH moment, thanks The Professor!
Lifetime MSB member before it was cool...

"I don't believe in organizing, I don't believe in the supposed revolution, I don't believe in politics, I don't believe in protesting, I don't believe in educating the masses, etc.
All fruitless meaningless exercises in this age of apathy and control. I realized that what I do believe in is taking proactive steps to make my world a better place for everyone by making choices in my own personal life."
- Comrade Tweek

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
That's why we call him The Professor.  He's puurrdy smart, so we keep him around.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »

The Professor

Some people wouldn't.   ;)

I find that a small tack weld is sufficient to secure the nut to the bolt.  If I need to remove it, I have a grinder or Dremel that will quickly separate them.  Additionally, I keep all my reloading powder in my gun safe as well.  I have insurance.  If they want to use a torch to get into my safe, then I've done my job to keep that scumbag from breaking into someone else's safe.  Then I get to go buy new guns with the insurance!  It's a win/win proposition.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:36 AM »
That's why we call him The Professor.  He's puurrdy smart, so we keep him around.

But he STILL never got anyone off The Island. ;) 

(Just kidding, Professor. We luvs ya'. 8) )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:19:47 AM by Oil Lady »
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:17:04 AM »
Two observations I've made over the years about safes that get bolted down ...

1) Think long and hard about WHERE you bolt it to the floor because you wanna make darn sure you will have no future need to rearrange the furniture in whatever room it's now bolted into.

2) Be wary -- be VERY wary-- of your own proclivity for laziness when it comes to a very small safe which needs to be stooped down to with backbreaking inconvenience. I nannied for a (very strange) lady who was totally into her clothes and shoes. She had a magnificent walk-in closet in the master bedroom JUST FOR HER (her husband's clothes were kept in another room in the house because she edged him out of the closet completely with her endless shopping for clothes). In that closet, she had a 2-foot-high safe bolted to the floor, and in that safe she kept her REAL jewelry. She was very lazy about closing the safe. I frequently walked into that closet with the clean laundry to put away, and the safe door was always hanging wide open (I don't ever recall seeing it shut).  It was just way too low to the floor for her to be bothered with getting down on her knees and spinning the dial. So she left it open all the time.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
I think safes are one area where you should not skimp on quality.  Really good safes weigh in at over 1000 pounds for a small safe.  but they cost 2 to 3 times as much at a cheap one.  Mine weighs over 1500 pounds.  This has to be in the basement, but you also do not need to bolt it down.  It took 5 hours of careful rigging to get the safe in place, its going nowhere.  If you bolt your safe to a wooden floor, all you need is a chainsaw, and bolt down is defeated very quickly...
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
Mine's bolted into a concrete slab floor.  Which is great until someone invents Star Trek teleporters....   :'(
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Online thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
my safe isn't the heaviest, but it wasn't in budget to get a really big/heavy safe. i did bolt it down though. got the impact drill and put four holes in the slab of the house and dropped some of the expanding bolts down there... i can't think of their technical name. i also put the same into a corner so it is very hard to leverage it out.

my safe is mostly to keep curious people out and keep the guns safely away from my kids. if a pro came in i would be toast, but i knew that when i bought the safe so i'm OK with that. in fact any safe can be broken into, it's just a matter of time and tools. i'm playing the odds that the common criminal won't want to waste the time messing with my safe and just take what they can get.. .which isn't much anyways. i do like the black powder idea... i may have to get some...

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »

Then I get to go buy new guns with the insurance!

Not to hijack, but tell me more bout this insurance.  Is it gun or home owners?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
But he STILL never got anyone off The Island. ;) 

(Just kidding, Professor. We luvs ya'. 8) )

Well, everyone ASSUMES that the Professor wanted to get any of them off the island.

For all anyone knows, it's a clever, yet extremely subtle, sociological experiment.

Besides, where else is a geek going to have his choice between a Movie Star and Miss Idaho?

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
Well, everyone ASSUMES that the Professor wanted to get any of them off the island.

For all anyone knows, it's a clever, yet extremely subtle, sociological experiment.

Besides, where else is a geek going to have his choice between a Movie Star and Miss Idaho?

The Professor

Don't forget Mrs. Howell, she looked naughty....lol jk

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
Not to hijack, but tell me more bout this insurance.  Is it gun or home owners?

There's an insurance sponsored by the NRA.  They don't ask for serial numbers or pictures.  Or at least they have never asked for mine.  It's one of the few things that I have liked the NRA doing.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/ArmsCarePlus.htm
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook