Author Topic: An idea regarding honey  (Read 516 times)

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
An idea regarding honey
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
Honey lasts forever, but most types will crystalize before much of that "forever" is up. Sure, the crystals with thaw with reheating, but that means fuel, time, and energy spent which doesn't need to be.

Creamed honey is my thought. If you cream it before storing it away, then it will always remain ready for use and you could still melt the crystals if desired.

I learned the hard way that consuming crystalized honey causes tiny cuts on my tongue that turn into painful sores. Creamed honey controls the formation of the crystals so that they're much smaller, giving the honey a velvety texture and about the consistency of soft butter.

Make more sense to me, particularly for deep rotation (obviously if you're eating it before it can crystalize then there's no advantage :P)
Death by a thousand cuts is survived one cut at a time. You never know - it may end up being only 999.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: An idea regarding honey
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
My understanding is that crystallized honey is more susceptible to bacteria than liquid honey.  I don't know if this is true, it's just something that I've heard in the past.  But since honey is going to crystallize eventually anyway, why not control the crystal size?
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
I used to keep anything from crystalizing, (including some veterinary drugs) on top of the water heater. Where I am I can't do that now, but I know it works.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
My mom used to cream our honey.  It was very enjoyable that way.  I'm more lazy, however, and just let it crystalize and reheat a jar when I'm ready for a new one.  I've never heard that crystalized honey is more susceptible to bacteria.  That would not seem to make sense because the honey is still honey (and probably had less water in it when it was harvested).  but does anyone know for sure?  Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi