Author Topic: Need feedback/Suggestions for a AR 10  (Read 1194 times)

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
Need feedback/Suggestions for a AR 10
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
I have a AR 15 and now I would like to add a AR 10 to my collection. Any suggestions on brands? Thanks!
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Need feedback/Suggestions for a AR 10
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
Bang for your buck, I'd go DPMS.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

20 years ago I came *this close* to buying an ArmaLite AR10 with a 16inch barrel and an standard A2 profile (non detachable carry handle).  I instead chose the ArmaLite M15 20inch HBAR.  Fit and finish was excellent on both rifles.  Many years later I had a chance to put a few rounds through an ArmaLite AR10 20inch standard profile rifle.  Again, fit, finish, and performance were excellent. 

I have had exactly one Jam with my ArmaLite M15 in 20 years.  It was durring a competition and I was on the clock when it happened.  I performed good old army SPORTS and got it running an about 3 - 4 seconds.  I was feeling slightly dejected knowing that jam cost me at least a few places in the finish but when I walked back up range I was congratulated by nearby (squad) competitors on a clearing the jam quickly. 

So in a round about way i guess this is a recommendation for the ArmaLite AR10. 

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
I'm not real impressed with my Bushmaster.  I'm not sure if its still "breaking in" or if its shotty machine work but it has had some failure to feed and other issues.  And the trigger is really hard to pull smoothly and has a lot of jerk in it.  So unless mine was an exception I'd go with a different brand. I've not read very many bad things about Armalite and I actually had to buy an Armalite ar10 buffer spring for my bushy because bushmaster puts very weak buffer springs in their .308 guns for some reason. 
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
PS - this website helped me out a lot www.308ar.com
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
I know someone who picked up a Colt LE901 this afternoon, but he hasn't had a chance to shoot it yet.   8)

Offline fingerstylefunk

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
I've got a dpms lr 308 classic, and it shoots well. Pic's are in a Sling thread in this forum. She's a heavy war pig, about 13 lbs with the scope and a mag or so.

You can buy replacement parts for it rather easily, and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've put about 500 rounds of gutter cheap ammo through it as well as some decent hunting ammo once I got a scope on her. 

I would love to have something like a POF, LARUE, LWRC REPR, Fullton ARmory Titan, and so on, but DPMS is what I've got.

I'm on a moratorium from further purchases until we've bought a house, however, and I need an H&K USP 9 Compact and a new hunting rifle before anything else.
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! --Psalm 98:4
Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, "I am a warrior." Joel 3:10

Offline idbound

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
After converting over from the M1A platform (because I figured out I was not man enough to hump a SOCOMII with a National Match in my pack), I wanted the ability to swap out uppers to adjust to conditions. I started out with a used 16" Noveske N6. Very accurate and very light. I could not deal with the proprietary mag issue (at that time) so I sold it and got a used 16" LMT MWS. Very accurate and feature-rich but was quite heavy and felt unbalanced compared to the N6. I later found a good deal on a used 16" LaRue OBR 762 so I sold the MWS.  Very accurate and a little better balanced than the MWS. I am very happy (so happy I traded my wife's KAC SR15 for a OBR 556) with it but will be trading it for a 14.5" PredatOBR 762 when they are produced. I realize these are all spendy but I think I get what I pay for. Buy used in excellent condition and save a bit. Good luck in your search.
The "System" sucks your soul...

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »
Idbound -- Glad to hear good things about the OBR.  I heard at one point there was something different about the manual of arms for that gun, particularly around bolt release or the charging handle, if I recall correctly.  Are you familiar with that?  Di they change it?  Can you run it basically the same as any generic M4?

Offline idbound

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
Pretty much the same as any other AR10 platform. Controls in the same place. No forward assist.

When you mentioned "Manual of Arms" I had a flashback to the parade deck at Parris Island and, with tempo, my Sr Drill Instructor chanting "go-to-the-b-c-g"  ;)

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
Just a suggestion but I have been looking at M1A's for something in a .308 but then I started reading about another .308 that is modern, made by a qualtiy company and almost a third of the weight as the m1. The only downside I have found is the price.  Im talking about a SCAR-17S. I teallllly want one now.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Just a suggestion but I have been looking at M1A's for something in a .308 but then I started reading about another .308 that is modern, made by a qualtiy company and almost a third of the weight as the m1. The only downside I have found is the price.  Im talking about a SCAR-17S. I teallllly want one now.

I had to go with the M1A anyway even though it's "heavy". 
  • Son of my M1 Garand
  • Nice firepower and accuracy
  • Doubles as a club with the walnut furniture
  • The look is an awesome kinda cool and has nostalgia

Offline idbound

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

According to the FN website the FN SCAR 17S Weight: 8.0 lbs. empty.
The M1A Scout is 8.8 lb.

They are sharp looking weapons though..a little too proprietary for my taste though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:06:03 PM by idbound »

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

I sold an M1A to help fund a SCAR17s and I'm glad I did.  I like my M1A and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it but the SCAR17 is another ball game.  The only fault I have on the SCAR17 is the trigger.  Don't get me wrong, the stock trigger IMHO is better than most rack grade military triggers but it is not a match trigger.  I upgraded the trigger to Geissele Super SCAR and the rifle now approaches as close to perfect as I think is possible for a GP rifle that can do just about everything and do those things pretty well.

All that being said, a buddy of mine has a LaRue OBR variant.  WOW, another nice rifle at distance.  I also kept my bare bones M1A and glad I did that too.  Gotta have what I call a "heritage" piece.

TNV
"Twice as much isn't twice as good and can't sustain like one half could"

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
I have a AR 15 and now I would like to add a AR 10 to my collection. Any suggestions on brands? Thanks!

For serious social use go for quality and dependability.

LaRue Tactical OBR or a Noveske Leonidas (if you can find one).

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
I have an RRA LAR-8 Standard Operator (20" barrel) with a 5-20 SWFA HD SS on it. I just recently got it and shot it a few times, accuracy and dependability are good. For the money I think it is a great buy. Trigger is good, the upper and lower receivers lockup exceptionally well and tight, but it's not a light weight gun. If I had the extra coin I'd get a OBR predator cause my LAR8  is damn heavy especially with the monster glass I have on it.

However I'm not a fan of any .308 in a barrel under 18", I just feel a .308 out of a short barrel is just alot of extra recoil and muzzle blast for very little performance return. I just finished a 300blackout build and I think it's light years ahead of any shortish barrel .308 performance wise. Much lighter still effective at range with the proper hold (the skill of the shooter plays a huge part in this,  "http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=tgKjbySsAik" Travis Haley making hits on a man size target at 750m with a 8ish" barreled 300blackout).
Bottom line in my opinion useless there is a specific reason for a .308 in a shorter barrel such as ammo compatibility with other weapons you already own ect get an AR10 with the barrel length that the cartridge was designed (18" or more) for and take advance of it's long range potential. If you want a carbine size weapon get a carbine sized and designed cartridge.

My 2 cents.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
If I had the money to put into a higher end LaRue or PWS, I would buy two mid-shelf rifles and ammo.  But that is my frugal mindset.

@SheepdogSurvival, I'm purchasing a 16" DPMS LR308 for the purpose of adding a suppressor.  As you know, suppressors are near perfect muzzle brakes.  So the recoil and sound are not as bad if you go that route.  For closer engagements and maneuvering I'd prefer not using my long barrel .308.  By the way, I also use the SWFA SS scopes.  What a great optic for the price!  Just my thoughts.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline idbound

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
I am looking forward to my baddass little 14.5" 762 (If it is good enough for the Texas Rangers, I might just be ok with it). I'm thinking a combo of 110gr TAP and some mk319mod0 130gr will provide a little bit of variety... ;) If needed, I can always buy an 18" barrel to get me out to the 1k range. 762Nato or Bust!

As an option for your first ar10, you could also build your own to your own specs with a matched Mega MATEN set. Lots of options there. Good luck and good shooting!