Author Topic: esurance  (Read 644 times)

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
esurance
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
Does anyone on the board have any negative or positive experiences to share concerning esurance?
We've been thinking about switching, and I'd like some feedback please.
Psalm 109:8

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: esurance
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »
It's essentially Allstate.  More than likely you can find less expensive coverage by calling a local independent agent and asking him/her to compare rates and coverage for you.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »
Well their quote came in at half what we pay the lizard, so I was concerned about reliability.

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
Well their quote came in at half what we pay the lizard, so I was concerned about reliability.

Keeping an eye on this cause I feed that same lizard.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure almost everyone comes in at half of what the lizard charges.  You get to fund those horrible commercials.   :impatient:

We use USAA and are very pleased.  It's about half what Allstate wanted.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
Funny thing that. A quote I got from Allstate was twice that of esurance.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:53:09 AM »
We were in a horrible car accident, and I had State Farm, and my wife (GF at the time) has USAA. State farm had us a check to help with our life/bills on Monday morning after the accident. Statefarm also paid everyone out to maximum 100,000/300,00 within 30 days. 

It took 2 years and a lawyers to see the same amount from USAA(minus the  60 grand that went to the lawyer). USAA did not pay for my wife's ambulance, hospital and other bills up front (in violation of state law) and it totally screwed our credit.

All cars were totaled, and 1 person died.

The other 2 cars had "broker insurance" with 30,000/100,00 both paid out after about 6 months.

I was paying $7 more per month than my wife for car insurance monthly($4 was for towing).  We were both driving 10  year old Hyundai that were $500 beaters. The selling point was the $30 check she got a year for reimbursement for good driving (what a scam).

Previous to this accident, we were very happy with what USAA had paid out for car claims. Once medical was involved, they did not even follow the law. We had to get lawyers and the state atty general involved just to get paid from USAA!

15 years later, I am still injured from this accident. I qualify for for full disability, but have never claimed it. My wife qualifies for partial. I am self employed, and my wife is stay at home with the kids. We have to pay about 50% extra for health insurance due to re minaces from the accident. On top of my health insurance (that is the best available in Minnesota) I still pay about 2k a month till we hit our maximums. We have no heart\diabetes\disease  all is just left over expense from the car accident.

Be very careful with insurance. In the end game, it is to cover your body, not your car.

Lucky, we were smart and put the cash away for retirement at 23 (we each blew 10k as recommended by the lawyer and investment advisers).

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
DISCLAIMER: I am in my early 20s so pretty much every insurance agency can and will screw me. I'm not sure if my experience is typical or not.

I had esurance for about a year and then switched to Geico. A neighbor with Geico hit my car while I had esurance... after that I switched to Geico from esurance because Geico was MUCH more helpful than esurance during the process. Esurance never returned my calls and Geico always did. When I first signed up for esurance they did the whole "bait and switch" thing. The quote I got online ended up being almost $20 cheaper per month than the one they actually gave me when I called to activate it. They also charged me an addtional $6 a month for making monthly payments instead of paying six months in advance. So nearly $30 per month more expensive than what they had quoted me for online! When I switched to Geico, my monthly payments came down nearly $50.