Photobucket

Author Topic: Homesteader from MountainMen show shutdown by NC-petition attached  (Read 1628 times)

Offline carbon

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • The Resilient Child Book Project
I just found an article about Eustace Conway's Turtle Island Preserve. I saw him once or twice on the show "Mountain Men". Apparently the local govt is looking to shut him down for code violations. I have attached a petition I signed from Change.org and I am hoping those of you who share in this concern could sign as well.

http://www.change.org/petitions/north-carolina-building-codes-council-alter-nc-building-codes-to-exempt-structures-at-turtle-island-preserve
I am working on a children's book on self-reliance  as part of my walk to freedom. Please check it out at:
www.theresilientchildbookproject.wordpress.com

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Homesteader from MountainMen show shutdown by NC-petition attached
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »
I just found an article about Eustace Conway's Turtle Island Preserve. I saw him once or twice on the show "Mountain Men". Apparently the local govt is looking to shut him down for code violations. I have attached a petition I signed from Change.org and I am hoping those of you who share in this concern could sign as well.

http://www.change.org/petitions/north-carolina-building-codes-council-alter-nc-building-codes-to-exempt-structures-at-turtle-island-preserve

damn gov... i signed the petition also

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Yea, more government ridiculousness!

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »
I signed the petition as soon as I heard about it. We need more people to stand up and sign it. By last count, there were 9,828 signatures.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
I signed and sent link to all I know.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Spirit Wolf

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
I signed and passed it on. Government should mind their own business.
"There are moments in your life that make you and set the course of who you're going to be. Sometimes they're little, subtle moments. Sometimes, they're big moments you never saw coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are."
~Unknown

"The worst lesson that can be taught to a man is to rely upon others & to whine over his sufferings."
~T. Roosevelt

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
I read a book about eustace a few years back.  Really good book I think it was call the last american man or something like that. 
applejak

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:53 AM »
I read a book about eustace a few years back.  Really good book I think it was call the last american man or something like that.

I just finished it. It was a pretty good read.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
signed... and when i finished it took me to a page saying thanks to Bob Costas for standing up to gun violence. Im unsubscribing from Change.org.

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
The article said they had a hearing on Dec 10th.  Anyone know how that went?
eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.

A friend and my blog: http://survivalwwyd.blogspot.com/

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »

The author of this article might know. His email is there.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/07/3713079/watauga-county-mountain-man-fighting.html

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »

here's a link:

http://www.hcpress.com/news/eustace-conway-of-turtle-island-speaks-before-nc-building-code-council-members-direct-staff-to-find-good-solution.html

BTW -- I smell a land grab here. Shut the guy down, and then force him to auction the land off. Beautiful, pristine utterly virgin land for pennies on the dollar.

Bastards.

I don't know that he has any REAL connections with Native Americans, but regardless of his linneage, I would think that from a purely legal standpoint, the real hotshot lawyers who currently represent US triibal interests (many of them tribal members themselves) might wanna get a look at this oine. This Turlte Island situation strikes me as being similar to the way tribes of the past were forced off their lands  --espeically the Shinecock Tribe in Long Island.

As background, I lived in Long Islasnd for a couple years, and I recall the Shinecock case as it was unfolding. Long Island is essentially two counties (three if you wanna count Queens, but no one in New York culture ever calls Queens part of Long Island even though it is geographically on the land mass called Long Island). The two counties are Nassau County (the Dutch settlement from 400 years ago) and Suffolk County (the British settlement from 400 years ago). The British at first thought they had a good thing by taking the eastern half of the island because it has a nice rocky point jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean which looks like it'd make an awesome sea port. WRONG!! Beneath the water's surface, there is a huge circular area radiating out from the eastern point of Long Island which is just riddled with a vast underwater plain of sharp pointy rocks jutting upward just beneath the water's surface.

In that era, it was a mariner's nightmare to try and naviagte anywhere around the eastern point of Long Island. A smart sailor who wanted to get to New Amsterdam (now called New York City) would either sail northward up along the coast of Connnecticut and hug the Connecticut shoreline, or go down to New Jersey and sail up the Hudson -- either way, staying as far away from the shores of Long Island as possible.

The British back inn the late 1500's found little military or nautical use for Long Island, and because Long island is so hilly and rocky, building roads was a real bitch. So they gave the undesireable eastern half of Suffolk County to the Shinecock tribe, promisinng them they could keep it. What few white setllements existed in Suffolk County consisted of potato farmers.

Then in the 1800's, the railroads were invented, and the first true American millionaires came on the scene in New York City, looking for marvelous lands on which to build their fantasy palaces of might and power where they could pretend they were actual members of royalty.   And so the eastern half of Long Island -- with beautiful views of the ocean, rolling hills, and an utter LACK of modern buildings (just tribal housing) became a very desireable place to take hold of 200 or 300 acres at a shot and build a dream mansion. So the Shincocks were told "Sorry, but we're taking it." And US troops arriived, rounded up whole villages, and they were kicked out for good. The likes of Rockefeller, Roosevelt, and Carnegie built their play houses there. And that's where the expression "Summering in the Hamptons" came from. If you were a member of New York's high society back in the late 1800's, you of course had a magnificent penthouse apartment on Park Avenue, or a brownstone in Washington Square Park, But you ALSO had a "summer home in the Hamptons" (eastern Long Island). All the "beautiful people" from New York's high society had a summer home in the Hamptons.

One of the greatest America novels ever written The Great Gatsby centers around life in Long Island in the Hamptons.

The Shinecock's have since launched a class action lawsuit demanding either a) give us back our land, or b) pay us 150 years worth of back-rent, or c) pay us an 1875 fair market price of the land PLUS 150 YEARS WORTH OF INTEREST.

Anyway ...

This Turle Island situation strikes me as a case of "Same gov't-backed thievery, different victim." So I truly think a tribal lawyer could take this one on.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:22:51 AM by Oil Lady »
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists