Author Topic: My Two Cents About This Forum Title  (Read 2550 times)

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
My Two Cents About This Forum Title
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
Personally, I think "weapons" should be removed from the forum title here. "Edged Blades" or whatever should attracted much less attention from govt. And since govt would be wasting their time looking at people here we shouldn't draw them to the forum. Let them go look where they need to be looking.

JMO

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: My Two Cents About This Forum Title
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
Well, we also have "Black Powder and Primitive Weapons".  Not to mention a bunch of other boards containing the words "firearms", "guns", "pistols", "rifles", "shotguns", "ammo", "self defense", "hand to hand combat", etc.  So the government can probably find us anyway.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »
I'm sure the words "prepping" and "Alex Jones" light up more than "weapon".

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Yes you are right! I've never posted about this because harping about something like this seems to be "liberal" to me (and liberal is always bad right?). But edged anything to me isn't a weapon, it is a tool. Firearms are the same way to me, they are just a tool. I just don't see things as "weapons" even though something might be used as defense. "Weapon" to me is in the eye's of the criminal. However, I am posting while drunk so cut me some slack.  ;D

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:29 PM »
I'm sure the govt stopped lighting up for AJ when they started listening to him. I listen every now and then but he's just too damn melodramatic for me.
   Tex makes a good point though. Not from the gov't is watching you perspective but definitely from the a knife is a tool, and only a weapon when used in violence. Its kinda newspeaky if you go further than that, but the point is a good one. I'm not saying we should replace weapon with tool, but "& tools" might be a good addition. Maybe not too important since most probably think that way already. Have a good night tex.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
I believe in calling a spade a spade, unless it might needlessly hurt someone's feelings. I don't think sharp pointy things that are designed to kill mind too much being called weapons.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:11:20 AM »
Also a great point. (Pun? Yeah, I did that on purpose) weapons are tools too. Its all semantics at this point.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
Yes you are right! I've never posted about this because harping about something like this seems to be "liberal" to me (and liberal is always bad right?). But edged anything to me isn't a weapon, it is a tool. Firearms are the same way to me, they are just a tool. I just don't see things as "weapons" even though something might be used as defense. "Weapon" to me is in the eye's of the criminal. However, I am posting while drunk so cut me some slack.  ;D

+1

I use my knife all the time, but have never intentionally cut anyone.  I have a blunt weapons all over the place in my garage, but I have never intentionally used my hammer to hit anyone.  I agree it is all about intent.  I also agree the forum name is one of the last thing to get this website or any of its' users flagged.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
There.  Is that better?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
There.  Is that better?

Mr. Bill!  We do NOT negotiate with terrorists!  I demand it be returned to the previous name of which I have already forgotten.  Maybe he's right.  It's not that big of a deal.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
Hmmmm. That's all.
Fear is the mind killer.

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Edged Weapons and Tools and Pointy Things and Spades Which Are Spades But Only If They Have Sharpened Edges

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
I believe in calling a spade a spade, unless it might needlessly hurt someone's feelings. I don't think sharp pointy things that are designed to kill mind too much being called weapons.

+1 this

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

Guns are tools which are designed for killing, but killing is pretty far down the list as far as designed uses for knives goes. Yes, they can be used to kill, but I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of all people above the age of 10 have used a knife. Maybe 0.01% of those people have used a knife to kill anything. I would even guess that less than 10% have used a knife post-kill for gutting/skinning purposes. 

My primary uses for my knives are as follows:
1. Food prep
2. Envelopes
3. Whittling
4. Gardening
5. Opening plastic packaging
6. Cutting loose strings on my clothes off
7. Pretending it is a machete and chopping branches off of trees while making new trails

It is true that knives can be effective weapons. So can rocks.  So can a 2x4. So can a pickup truck. A knife is first and foremost a tool.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
Well said. Well said. Tools they are. Wether it be carving a block or wood, a turkey or a two legged rat, knives are there to get the job done.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
Edged Weapons and Tools and Pointy Things and Spades Which Are Spades But Only If They Have Sharpened Edges
:rofl:
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Are we not responsible citizens, why should we feel any obligation to soften our terminology just to stay off the government radar? 
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
Now people are going to thing that this is the forum to talk about hammers and wrenches and other non-edged tools.  Way to sow confusion.  Maybe it should be "edged tools that are not always but can be used as weapons."
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Edged × (Weapons + Tools)

Any Things With Sharp Edges Unless They Got That Way Accidentally Like Broken Glass Unless You're Using The Sharp Edge Intentionally And Not Just Bleeding Because You Put Your Head Through A Window

We can have a child board for using papercuts in self-defense, if you'd like.

Offline Absit

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
I've heard Jack rant quite a bit about people stigmatizing words to the point where we no longer use them.

Let's not do that.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
Well said absit,
    +1.
  Bill, stop. Please. The pain. Must. Stop. Laughing. Please make the side cramps stop.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
Guns are tools which are designed for killing, but killing is pretty far down the list as far as designed uses for knives goes. Yes, they can be used to kill, but I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of all people above the age of 10 have used a knife. Maybe 0.01% of those people have used a knife to kill anything. I would even guess that less than 10% have used a knife post-kill for gutting/skinning purposes. 

My primary uses for my knives are as follows:
1. Food prep
2. Envelopes
3. Whittling
4. Gardening
5. Opening plastic packaging
6. Cutting loose strings on my clothes off
7. Pretending it is a machete and chopping branches off of trees while making new trails

It is true that knives can be effective weapons. So can rocks.  So can a 2x4. So can a pickup truck. A knife is first and foremost a tool.

You forgot one:

8. Brain surgery

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »
Edged × (Weapons + Tools)

Any Things With Sharp Edges Unless They Got That Way Accidentally Like Broken Glass Unless You're Using The Sharp Edge Intentionally And Not Just Bleeding Because You Put Your Head Through A Window

We can have a child board for using papercuts in self-defense, if you'd like.

+1 Mr. Bill

Incidentally, I've used my knives to injure myself more often than "bad guys".  In fact, our medic kept a journal about knives in our company.  Prior to deploying to Iraq in 2004-2005 it seemed that every infantryman in our company needed a Rambo 9-12 inch fighting knife.  Our medical sergeant showed us his journal at the end of the deployment.  It simply stated: 143 self inflicted knife wounds / 0 Iraqis killed with a knife.  Pretty definitive....
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »
I asked a Navy SEAL about knife fighting, he said he didn't learn a lot of knife fighting in the teams. He did learn some knife killing but when it came to knife fighting, this was his opinion, if your are down to fighting with a knife, you did something wrong somewhere and all the knife fighting skill in the world probably isn't going to save you. I asked a Recon Marine about knife fighting, his opinion: "don't do it. Just don't." He told me that even today if someone pulled a knife on him, his plan was to exit stage left as quickly as possible. If that was impossible, then he said get a weapon and kill that guy fast. So I can totally see the 143 self inflicted injuries vs 0 dead enemies with a knife. Thanks for sharing that bit of reality Flippy.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
There.  Is that better?

Yes, now I can post here about killing snakes with my shovel.  ;D

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:11 AM »

Unless, of course, you hammer your spade into an AK47!   :excited:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
Yes, now I can post here about killing snakes with my shovel.  ;D

Dang!  The last snake I killed was in the garage and I did it with a wooden baseball bat.  I guess I can't post that in this thread.  Of course.....the observant person would notice how I subtly did......

8)
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
 :popcorn:
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
Oh i feel a custom title coming on....

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Online Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
Oh i feel a custom title coming on....

:admin:

:rofl: