Photobucket

Author Topic: Finding off-grid land in small acreage  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Geauxducks79

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Finding off-grid land in small acreage
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
     I'm looking at buying land for my BOL and am having a bit of a tough time finding something off grid that is for sale in a smaller acreage.  I'm hoping to find about 3 acres of undeveloped land in the south central/southwestern area of Arkansas for about 1-3k per acre and most everything I've found is in MUCH larger tracts.  I don't want water/electric service there and anything I've found small enough to suit my needs already has access.  Is there perhaps a website I might have missed or perhaps a method some of you might know that could help me out?  Any legitimate suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance,

Dustin

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
Re: Finding off-grid land in small acreage
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
http://www.trulia.com/

http://www.landwatch.com/Arkansas_land_for_sale

http://www.landandfarm.com/search/Arkansas-land-for-sale/

http://outdoorproperties.com/

http://www.timberlandsouth.com/

Hope those help. The land watch one helped me, but alot of times you have to just find out who the local realtors are in the area you want to buy in and go to their website. Good Luck!
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline Geauxducks79

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Thanks for the info!  A few of those I had already visited but a couple were very helpful and I had somehow missed while doing my search.  I'm still shopping, looking for the perfect plot but I appreciate your efforts in helping me out.  Keep me posted if you find any more websites!  Thanks again,

Dustin

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
I've got a 10 acre lot next to me, just outside of Hot Springs. I think it was running 3K an acre but you've got to buy the whole lot. It's deed restricted but not a HOA. Lots of hard woods and a stream and me for a neighbor  ;D
Standing Order #19. Let the enemy come 'til he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him with you hatchet. - Maj Robert Rogers, 1759

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Thanks for the info!  A few of those I had already visited but a couple were very helpful and I had somehow missed while doing my search.  I'm still shopping, looking for the perfect plot but I appreciate your efforts in helping me out.  Keep me posted if you find any more websites!  Thanks again,

Dustin

No problem. You are doing the same thing I am....looking...lol. Good Luck!
US Army 87'-90'
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
You used this one?
www.landsofarkansas.com
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »
I have found that for land under $10K it's almost not worth it for the seller to list it normally and are sold by Word Of Mouth. Look in local paper and even place ad with exact description of what you want and can pay in CASH! Also place Wanted ad's at local dive bars,AG/Fleet&Farm stores,Etc. I bought 5 acres from a local guy for $4500, cost me $150 to do the deed transfer and pay the taxes directly through the county office, was really easy... Of course you can also try Craigslist as well.
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
Definitely keep an eye on Craigslist and the local paper! I like mxitman's idea of placing an ad in the paper or Craigslist with what you want.
Lifetime MSB member before it was cool...

"I don't believe in organizing, I don't believe in the supposed revolution, I don't believe in politics, I don't believe in protesting, I don't believe in educating the masses, etc.
All fruitless meaningless exercises in this age of apathy and control. I realized that what I do believe in is taking proactive steps to make my world a better place for everyone by making choices in my own personal life."
- Comrade Tweek

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Add to search sites to try:

www.zillow.com

Ran a search for Arkansas, land only, & the site says 6,835 listings.
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
I've got a 10 acre lot next to me, just outside of Hot Springs. I think it was running 3K an acre but you've got to buy the whole lot. It's deed restricted but not a HOA. Lots of hard woods and a stream and me for a neighbor  ;D

$30,000...

I bought my 80 acres for $65,000....

I was looking for 10-20, but with the PPA (Price per acre)... really consider the larger tracts. (It's interesting how many friends will want to buy 1-6 acres off you once you see it!)

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:25 AM »
Definitely keep an eye on Craigslist and the local paper! I like mxitman's idea of placing an ad in the paper or Craigslist with what you want.

I have not seen any land like this on Craigslist, maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.
US Army 87'-90'
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline Geauxducks79

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »
Well, I have found 5 acres now, although it's not off grid.  It has a septic system, water meter, a well, a cistern and a pond, as well as some pecan trees and about 2 acres worth of small pasture.  My boss actually  had it and since he wasn't using it, he decided to sell it to me.  He's asking $25,000 for the whole thing which is quite a steal down here where I live in Texas.  Initially I wanted to build a bug out location, but after giving it some more thought, building a house here where I live first that I can have paid off in 5 years just made more sense.  Once my home is paid for, then I can in good conscience build my bug out location.  As it stands, this plot of land is still an hour and a half from Dallas and 15 minutes from any major city so it should be sufficient for the time being :D

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
I have not seen any land like this on Craigslist, maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.

Maybe try posting a "Want to buy" ad on Craigslist.

"I don't believe in organizing, I don't believe in the supposed revolution, I don't believe in politics, I don't believe in protesting, I don't believe in educating the masses, etc.
All fruitless meaningless exercises in this age of apathy and control. I realized that what I do believe in is taking proactive steps to make my world a better place for everyone by making choices in my own personal life."
- Comrade Tweek

Offline TexasGirl

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »
Hi Dustin,

One strategy that can work in small rural areas, is to go spend time in the area you want to find a place in and "beat the bushes."  Network with the locals.  Make friends.  Gain trust of those that live there.  Have them put the word out that you are looking.  Also buddy up to a couple of realtors and have them call you before property lists.  (Many will do this in hopes they can sell it before spending time and money to list it.)  While the latter might not save you money, it will give you a jump on the buying competition.  In talking to many realtors over the last year, there has been a flood of buyers in NE Texas who are bailing out of the big cities.  Some agents say that's about the only land sales happening right now.  Should be similar in AR.

Another option is to find a likeminded person you trust and begin looking at larger tracts to split. They are typically LE$$ per acre, and may be more available. 

~TG

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
Another way to find land... look through the county records. Here in Ohio they are online. You are looking for properties in the acreage you want or maybe bigger if they could possibly split it off... and look for owners with mailing addresses out of the area or even out of the state. Maybe even prioritize by  those who are a little late on paying their property taxes, maybe they just want to sell. But, once you have a list of these properties (it might be a big list depending on how much searching you do and what areas), send them a postcard or letter saying you're looking for a few (or however many) acres in the area and are wondering if they would be interested in selling all or a portion of their land.

- Comrade Tweek