Photobucket

Author Topic: For all those Remain In Placers/Anti-Bug Out/Evacuation/Relocation holdouts:  (Read 1842 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Here is why I recommend a personal emergency resource kit for everyone as their FIRST level of preps.

Unless you live in the deep woods with no rail, no highways and no hardball road, this is a prime example of why you may be forced to leave your home at a moment's notice.

Have a BOB handy.  You never know when it may be needed.

http://news.msn.com/us/derailment-sends-chemical-tank-cars-into-creek

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
Of interest… Vinyl chloride evacuation distances: http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/1692

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Our very first prep was building a "personal emergency resource kit for everyone" for exactly this kind of thing since we live very close to an interstate highway designated a "Hazardous Cargo" route and close enough to a major rail artery. Add to that the dangers of wildfire and we knew, that no matter how badly we wanted to stay, we might have to go in order to survive.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
+1 Professor for the great thread and advice.

Our very first prep was building a "personal emergency resource kit for everyone" for exactly this kind of thing since we live very close to an interstate highway designated a "Hazardous Cargo" route and close enough to a major rail artery. Add to that the dangers of wildfire and we knew, that no matter how badly we wanted to stay, we might have to go in order to survive.

Where exactly would I find out if the highway I live is designated as a "Hazardous Cargo" route.  I expect I-75 to be one, but finding concrete data would be influential in convincing my lovely and beautiful grasshopper of a wife that this is something we need to do. 
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
But, but, if I bug out Professor, I won't be able to use my full encapsulation suit prep.   :rofl:
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
arent we supposed to be preparing to bug in OR bug out depending on the nature of the disaster? I dont see why one would be "preferred" over the other.

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
...Where exactly would I find out if the highway I live is designated as a "Hazardous Cargo" route...
This sign is posted along all hazardous cargo routes. Even though this is an ad for a mousepad, it does show what the sign looks like.  ;) http://www.zazzle.com/hazardous_cargo_route_highway_sign_mousepad-144046376298048780

arent we supposed to be preparing to bug in OR bug out depending on the nature of the disaster? I dont see why one would be "preferred" over the other.
Yes, we should be. I agree it is not a matter of preference, but of situational need.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
This sign is posted along all hazardous cargo routes. Even though this is an ad for a mousepad, it does show what the sign looks like.  ;) http://www.zazzle.com/hazardous_cargo_route_highway_sign_mousepad-144046376298048780

Seen them on and around military bases. But here in Illinois I've never seen one on a interstate highway or lower-level road.

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
Seen them on and around military bases. But here in Illinois I've never seen one on a interstate highway or lower-level road.
Here, I see them on the routes that lead through heavily populated areas. I don't think they are required in rural areas, but I may be wrong. I haven't been able to stumble onto a reliable source.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safety-security/Routes-for-the-website-9-28-09-508-2.pdf

Finally had some time to practice my google-fu to find the hazardous material routes.  Unfortunately it is in PDF format and hasn't been updated since 2008. 
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
I have been thinking about getting an evac bag/box ready to go for our home.  This story is a kick in the ass for me to get on this.  I will share with my wife so we can work on it together.  We live one house off a major railroad line.  In case of derailment, we have another house to block the cars before they hit us!
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Here, I see them on the routes that lead through heavily populated areas. I don't think they are required in rural areas, but I may be wrong. I haven't been able to stumble onto a reliable source.
I've never seen one in Indiana.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
I've never seen one in Indiana.

Cheryl,

I was going to say you had something more dangerous just south of you but, apparently, they closed Newport.  At least you don't have to worry about that. 

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Cheryl,

I was going to say you had something more dangerous just south of you but, apparently, they closed Newport.  At least you don't have to worry about that. 

The Professor

We bugged out on 9/11 because we are only a few miles from Newport and the TV stations were reporting that some of the planes directed to Terre Haute had gone missing. You have no idea how glad I am Newport is gone.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
It's foolish to believe that you'll never have to leave your home. I would hate the idea of leaving and leaving behind all my preps, all my securities and comforts but I would leave them all behind in a second if I had no choice.

In my opinion, the idea of just thinking that you've covered every single scenario that would require one to leave their home behind is dangerously arrogant.  I would hold out as long as I could before I had to bug out but there are plenty of things I know I can not withstand and know when my SHTF time is and when to leave, and not look back

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
In 1979 a train derailment in Mississauga, Ontario (a suburb right next to Toronto) resulted in the evacuation of over 200 000 people in the middle of the night. Police drove around with loudspeakers telling everyone to get out of bed and into their cars almost immediately, and pictures from later that morning showed the evactuation of critically ill patients from the municipal hospital. It was the largest peacetime evacuation in North America before Hurricane Katrina and struck in the most unexpected of places. Everyone, especially those with children, should have a kit ready to go in the event of such an incident, which can happen anytime, anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Mississauga_train_derailment

Sometimes I think we tend to overthink the concept of the BOB as though we need to be able to survive in the wilderness with it for several days. I know that I'm guiltly of that and took alot longer to prep mine on account of it. Not that there's anything wrong with really getting into one's preps, but even a bag with a few waterbottles, sets of clothes, toiletries and snacks is far better than nothing and a good start.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Look at just happened in Japan with the tunnel collapse.  Emergencies happen, just because you are not home does not mean you won't end up in the middle of one

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Leaving my home, my primary survival location, and "bugging out" would be our last-ditch option. Of course, if an industrial accident, highway or rail disaster, flood or other weather incident of such a severity that staying put was life threatening were to happen, we would go to a place of greater potential safety. I would assume that once the event were over, we would return. We are well prepared for such a "bug out". We don't have an isolated bug out property (cabin, bunker, fortress), nor could we afford one. To keep two properties, one potentially in the middle of nowhere, stocked with plentiful supplies of all types, unattended and hopefully not looted on a regular basis, is unrealistic for us. We are in a rural location and barring the starvation crazed mobs of former city-dwellers who survived the battle for the last can of beans coming into our valley, I'll take my well-armed chances here. Once we leave our home we become instant refugees, without the benefit of the resources we have here. I prefer to prepare for the (IMHO) more plausible hazards, rather than obsessing about escaping a 'Mad Max" scenario. I have had friends who sold everything to escape the "Apocalypse", moved to nowhere with a tin trailer, spent the retirement fund on an M14, brought along all of their back issues of Mother Earth News, tried to grow their own clothes and make their own own water and wound up bankrupt or divorced. To me, true surviving is to get up every day and do what needs to be done in the real world; work hard, stay out of debt, pay off your mortgage, raise your children well, treat your spouse with love and respect and live by the Golden Rule when dealing with the rest of humanity. End of rant!   

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I'm like you, I don't have a place to bug out to, I don't have extra homes, cabins, land, bunkers or anything else to retreat to. I've been looking around my area for places to regroup and gather intelligence from the radio and move from there. It's not the greatest plan but for now it's something I can use to get myself out of a panic situation (unless it's, say, a tornado or some kind of massive natural storm) and plan my next step carefully but I'd much rather be in an under ground bunker with dirt, concrete and supplies