Author Topic: swollen neck and tingling legs in 9 yo girl  (Read 2973 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
swollen neck and tingling legs in 9 yo girl
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
Question for parents and medical people out there: My 9 yo daughter has a slightly puffy neck in her thyroid area, no tenderness or nodules, hasn't changed in over 6 months. My husband and I decided to just keep an eye on it, but last yesterday she complained of tingling in both her thighs. It lasted a couple of hours. No problems since, and no other symptoms.  I know if we go to the dr, it will be lab tests, ultrasound of her neck, etc, etc up into the $1000s of dollars. So before I talk to the doc, I wanted to check around and see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I remember tingling in my legs as a kid, went through tons of tests, and then they diagnosed growing pains. But I also hate to sit on an issue if it could be something more serious. I would definitely take her in if we'd seen any other changes, but I haven't seen any s/s of hypo or hyperthyroidism, other than what I described. Thoughts?
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: swollen neck and tingling legs in 9 yo girl
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi Cheryl,  I can only answer as a parent.  I'm normally in favor of waiting issues out first to see if they improve.  In the case you described, however, I'd go see a medical professional if it were my child.  If you don't have insurance and a family physician at least a fee based clinic.  Yes, I hate all the testing and going round and round with doctors, but it seems to me you've given the swelling time to change and it hasn't.  I don't know if there is any connection between the neck and tingling legs, and since you don't either, I'd seek the advice of the professional at this point.  Good luck and I hope everything is ok!  Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
We've got insurance, just hate to have to meet that deductible if its a common puberty sign, etc.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
I never heard of a "puffy neck" as a symptom of puberty. My child would be seeing the doctor, especially something going on that long.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline prepgal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
I would take my child to the ER immediately.
prepgal

Offline Janet the Planet

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:22:19 AM »
Cheryl1- most kids this age still get twice yearly doctor well visits, which can objectively monitor growth, nutrition, vision/hearing, etc to detect potential problems early. These visits are usually a low co-pay, and are worth every penny.  Also, most public schools require a physical before participating in sports or gym, and the school system often has a wellness program or center that will give routine physicals.  Perhaps the neck symptom fell between well visits.  Even so, any health change that makes you uneasy is usually an indicator that it should be checked out.  Rgarding the tingling legs- this could be a neurologic issue, and it appeared suddenly, so it is acute.  If it does not worsen, I would be in the doctor's office on Monday, and in the ER sooner if it gets worse before then.  You can always decline further tests if you don't think they are necessary.  There are too many conditions that worsen quickly if not treated early.  Good luck, and let me know how you made out.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
Cheryl, you work in the med field.  It is you I would be asking if I had questions  :)
Mostly, I go with intuition.  I do not take my kids in for every cough and fever either, and they have not gone in for a "routine" visit for 5 years - since most of those are for vaccinations, which we do not do.
But, 8-yo girl has been having a small problem that has gone on for a while (we do not think it is serious - just falling into a dead sleep in the afternoons, but most afternoons).  We have tried some different things, but finally my intuition has said it might be good to go see a dr.  so we found one I think I can like and we are taking her in.
My point is - you know your kid.  And I believe you can receive guidance from the Lord for the good of your family.  so if you think it is worth taking her in, well think about the peace of mind for the doc to say "it is just growing pains," and you can go back on your merry.  And if it is not, it is good to know that too.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline tkrabec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My computer company
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
Has she been around a new cat/kitten?  It's possibly "cat scratch fever".

I'd definitely go to the DR immediately, since there is apparent interaction with the spinal chord
-- Tkrabec

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
you went hunting not to long ago right? Have you checked her for ticks.. I'm not joking, this happend to my sister when we were kids the only other symptom she had was throwing up after it went on for a while..Off to the ER she went found a tick, I don't recall what they called it but she was on meds for a few weeks and bed rest..get her to the DR hun..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »
you went hunting not to long ago right? Have you checked her for ticks.. I'm not joking, this happend to my sister when we were kids the only other symptom she had was throwing up after it went on for a while..Off to the ER she went found a tick, I don't recall what they called it but she was on meds for a few weeks and bed rest..get her to the DR hun..

Lyme disease comes from deer ticks and is  nasty and slow growing.  Many people don't have symptoms till it is very advanced.  Recovery is usually months of antibiotics.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
Lyme disease comes from deer ticks and is  nasty and slow growing.  Many people don't have symptoms till it is very advanced.  Recovery is usually months of antibiotics.
Lyme disease is not the only things ticks carry also they can cause neurological symptoms from simply being lodged in you... here take your pick and this is a short list.. as she has been hunting as of late a tick "bite" is not unrealistic.. http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/parasitology/ticks.htm

What is Tick Paralysis?

Unlike Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and babesiosis, which are caused by the systemic proliferation and expansion of parasites in their hosts long after the offending tick is gone, tick paralysis is chemically induced by the tick and can therefore continue only in its presence. Once the tick is removed, symptoms usually diminish rapidly.

Symptoms
Symptoms of tick paralysis generally begin from five to seven days after a tick becomes attached (usually on the scalp), beginning with fatigue, numbness of the legs and muscle pains.
http://www.aldf.com/TickParalysis.shtml
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

-Tom Waits

Ancona Ducks
And so much more!

This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
I'm not a parent or a medical person, but after so many years dealing with severe medical problems including various neurological symptoms, and having doctors and other patients as my main social life, I've picked up a few things so I hope you don't mind me interjecting my [very much lay] opinion...

As you well know, doctors can run all those tests and find absolutely nothing.

Does that mean it's nothing, or does it mean they have not identified a cause to the symptoms?

"Growing pains" have a cause, and a neuromusculoskeletal D.O. is likely able to identify the precise mechanism that's causing the symptoms and how that should be relieved. They specialize in diagnosing structural problems that infringe on nerve activity, which can be a lot more subtle than what standard tests pick up. I had quite acute "growing pains" as a child, and if what turned out to be widespread structural abnormalities had been taken care of when I was little it would have been much more easily managed and saved my family and I years of hardship and medical bills. But all the standard tests came back clean and doctors claimed I was healthy, so how was anyone to know?

There's certainly a place for all those medical tests and I'm glad we have them. But since a single visit to the right doctor who's an expert at using his hands for diagnosis can tell you more than thousands of dollars' worth of tests are able to figure out, if I were in your shoes I'd try that first.

For my personal anecdote, I began getting recurring episodes of transient, palsy-like paralysis lasting up to 12 hours at a time. Absolutely horrible experience. Of course I saw doctors about it, but because they couldn't find the cause they decided that there must be no cause. My D.O. immediately picked up on major problems affecting the nerves and with treatment I haven't had an episode in nearly a year, now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:28:23 PM by Dainty »
Death by a thousand cuts is survived one cut at a time. You never know - it may end up being only 999.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
I hope I didn't give anyone the impression I've let my child walk around with a giant goiter for months:) my mom-also a nurse-noticed it and pointed it out to me. You'd never notice unless you were looking for it. But, after we noticed it, we had decided to point it out at her next checkup in may-as long as nothing else changed. I guess since she's had one other weird symptom, I had better take her in. The doc is going to work her in tomorrow morning.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I hope I didn't give anyone the impression I've let my child walk around with a giant goiter for months:) my mom-also a nurse-noticed it and pointed it out to me. You'd never notice unless you were looking for it. But, after we noticed it, we had decided to point it out at her next checkup in may-as long as nothing else changed. I guess since she's had one other weird symptom, I had better take her in. The doc is going to work her in tomorrow morning.
hahaha no way from all i see of you on here you are a wonderful mom!

-Tom Waits

Ancona Ducks
And so much more!

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:53 AM »
But, 8-yo girl has been having a small problem that has gone on for a while (we do not think it is serious - just falling into a dead sleep in the afternoons, but most afternoons).  We have tried some different things, but finally my intuition has said it might be good to go see a Dr.  so we found one I think I can like and we are taking her in.

Both of the posts in here could be Lymes.

Napping was my first symptom the first time I contracted Lyme disease (2004).  It came on slow at first, a nap here and there, then 3 months later, I went from sleeping in afternoons(so bad I could not drive between 5 and 6 pm), to super bad head aches in less than a week. I never had the tell tail rings either time I contracted. The doctors believe I got bit the previous fall, we had a cabin in a heavily infested area, and the doctors up there saw Lymes patients every day.

The second time, I had been bit and had it removed by the ER due to the fact it was HUGE engorged and stuck to the darker area where I was snipped as a baby on my privates. The tick was positive. I had 2 other deer ticks I found that year, none with any signs (outside the sharpie I marked the spots with for 3 months). I actually had at least 1 dot on me for 10 months that year. I tested positive in December 2008. That time I had symptoms of headaches, and bad joint pain\swelling. Both times I lost 30 lbs due to the high dosage of anti biotics I had to take.

Once we break our family deductible for the year, everyone in my family gets checked out.

Go get her checked, and I hope we get some good news from Cheryl1

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »
I took her in today. It took forever because my doc wanted to consult an endocrinologist before making a final recommendation on testing (but I guess that's like getting a second opinion for free:). We decided to do the blood work but no ultrasound needed (other Dr said it wouldn't show anything useful). So, I'll call the office tomorrow to check the results. Since she hasn't had blood drawn since she was a baby, we got the whole gamut.

Funny story-she was not very happy about having her blood drawn, and was trembling a little when we got to the lab. So I put $20 in one front pocket and $5 in the other. I told her we would go pick out a toy when we were all done. If she did the blood draw with no problems, she could have the twenty, if she hollered and fussed she only gets the five, and if we have to hold her down she owes me a toy. She sat on my lap, got her $20, and then asked to go to the resale toy shop so she could get more for her money.  ;D

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »
Was hoping you would post update. Was hoping all was OK.

Good thinking on the the reward system. Will have to use that one.

And +1 to her for making money going further.  Good teacher is my bet...
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
Glad you took her in and I hope all is well.  I like the reward idea, nothing like combining different levels of positive reward with the potential for a consequence into a method for making the process a little easier on all of you.  Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
So I put $20 in one front pocket and $5 in the other.

I want you to take me to go get my blood drawn the next time  ;)

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
I'm guessing nothing was critical on the lab work since no one has called. I called the office and am waiting for them to call me back.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
I'm guessing nothing was critical on the lab work since no one has called. I called the office and am waiting for them to call me back.

It can take 12+ hours to get bloodwork back depending on what is being run. One of the tests they did on SweetPea took 12 weeks. I never expect bloodwork back before the next morning.

Cedar

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
True-but it was all basic stuff and its been a week:)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
Ooops. I read "today" and didn't manage to look at the date it was posted LOL..

Cedar

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
I figured:) I just talked to the doc. Her thyroid peroxidase level is 312 (should be <35) and her thyroglobulin level is 353( should be <115). All her other thyroid levels were normal.

Whatever the hell that means. Google here I come.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
The fact they didn't say "meet us at the hospital" is always a good sign!  You did the right thing in my opinion.  Charles

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
Autoimmune thyroid disease?  One of the symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is paresthesia (pins-and-needles tingling sensation).

I've got a related thyroid problem myself.  Should be easily treatable with thyroid hormone pills (which are cheap), but she'll have to get used to regular blood tests while the dosage is getting adjusted.

Best wishes, and I hope it's nothing more difficult than that.

Offline osubuckeye4

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
I know I'm way late to the thread here, but I want to jump in and agree that you did the right thing.

Any time you have tingling or numbness or any kind of prolonged condition that impacts routine activites it's always best to get them checked out ASAP.

I learned this the hard way.

I used to play basketball semi-professionally and ended up rolling an ankle that I had previously broken years back. I went to the doctor because everything was covered through the team I was playing for. Doctor told me to give it a few weeks and I'd be fine. I listened to the doctor, came back and finished the last week of the season with no problems.

A few days later I was playing in a church league with some co-workers and ended up re-rolling the ankle, a bit more severely this time. I just took the advice the doctor told me and re-applied it to this injury. Gave it a month, came back, within a month I had rolled it again. Did it again another month or so down the road.

After the 4th time doing this I noticed that it was hard for me to even drive my car because it hurt every time I extended my foot to press the accelerator down. I ended up going to a specialist who did an MRI and due to all the trauma I had put it though, I had developed a huge cyst in my ankle. Ended up costing me about $1,500 out of pocket for the surgery (with great insurance at the time). Without insurance I would have been looking at around $16,000-$22,000.

The specialist told me that had I just gone to the doctor I would have had a few $20 co-pays and maybe some physical thearpy (which my insurance would have covered), but avoided the surgery.

Also completely torpedoed my basketball "career" (though it was never really much of one to begin with)   ;D

But yea, while small tweaks and sprains can be ignored... things like tingling (often neurological) or shooting pains that impact daily/routine activites should always be checked.

9 out of 10 times you end up wakling out with a clean bill of health and told it will heal naturally, but that one time you're wrong could end up costing you thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Playing basketball I had a lot of buddies who tried to play through stress fractures (they didn't know they were stress fractures because they skipped on the x-rays), ended up breaking the bone and instead of missing a month, ended up missing an entire season. Some did lasting damage that they will probably feel for the rest of their life.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
...and then asked to go to the resale toy shop so she could get more for her money.  ;D

I love that!  I raised a bargain hunter too.

I still remember trying to get my kid to pee in a cup at the doctor's office when he was 5 (he's 21 now).  He was freaking out a bit and therefore just couldn't pee.  He started to cry, so I told him "I bet you can't make that cup overflow!"  Then it was a challenge, and he didn't overflow it, but he was pretty happy about showing how much he could do.

I hate it when we have to ask kids to do grownup things, but it does make them stronger adults.

Hope your Googling finds some good information.  If it is a thyroid issue, do a lot of your own research about whch tests are the most useful and what treatments really work.  There is a lot of new info that hasn't made its way to the average doctor yet.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Autoimmune thyroid disease?  One of the symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is paresthesia (pins-and-needles tingling sensation).

I've got a related thyroid problem myself.  Should be easily treatable with thyroid hormone pills (which are cheap), but she'll have to get used to regular blood tests while the dosage is getting adjusted.

Best wishes, and I hope it's nothing more difficult than that.

I don't know what the plan is going to be. The thyroid hormone levels are all normal, but the levels of precursors to the thyroid levels are elevated. So thyroid pills wouldn't actually help because the hormones they replace are normal.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but did she get tested for Lymes? Google peroxidase thyroglobulin and the word Lymes. You will find many links with the same side effects that turned out to be auto immune disorders from from Lymes. These were some of the blood tests they continued to run after I tested positive(year after I was testing clean).

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood