Photobucket

Author Topic: Recomendations for pet chicken breed  (Read 934 times)

Offline cep89

• Survivor
Recomendations for pet chicken breed
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
We will be getting 3 to 4 chicks next spring.  We want hens that are good with kids.  The eggs will be a nice extra, but not the prime reason for having them.  We will let them live until they die and bury them in the yard like a pet dog.  A good looking bird would be good too.  We live in Michigan on a lake and I will be converting part of a garage into an insulated coop.  What breed do you think would be best for us?

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: Recomendations for pet chicken breed
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
I recommend the speckled Sussex as
Personality: Mellow, and easily tamable, they are a good starter breed for new chicken owners. They are also commonly quite smart for a chicken.
we love ours they are SO tame I can pick two up at a time (one under each arm) and they do hop onto my lap if i am sitting still watching them long enough.. http://www.pickinachicken.com/2010/08/speckled-sussex.html
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
Most of our chickens think they are dogs!  We have Barred and Partridge Rocks, Jersey Giants, a whole hoop of "mutts," and something people around here call, "A&M Hens."  My daughter keeps and raises Bantams of some flavor.  We've found the key to friendly chickens is the amount of interaction, especially starting as chicks.  It's important to keep it going, though.

Ours, through the kids hand feeding them, holding them, petting them, etc. are as docile and tame as it gets regardless of breed.  It's to the point where you have to scan the door, because they try to follow you in the house!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »
Ours are the same way and will follow us around like puppies.  The two free range roosters we have, "Frick" and "Frack" are also protective of the wife and kids.  The youngest was running toward some bushes after a ball, and the two roosters beat him to the bush line to monkey stomp a snake that was "lying in wait".  It was just a black snake, but we assume the roosters saw it as a threat.  Either that or their snake thrashing instincts kicked in.   ;D
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »
We got 3 Delawares, lost one to a predator, and another one was a mystery (I suspect egg-bound) but they were the coolest chickens I've seen. They follow us around, and crouch to be petted. The one we have left of those 3 crouches so you can rub her tail, and she pushes it up in the air when you do, like a cat!  When we open the door in the evening to go out and lock them back in the coop, the 2 Buff Orpingtons stay on the roost, but Little Mama comes running hell bent for leather to be picked up and carried back to bed. It's adorable, and has my wife quite smitten ;D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »
I recommend the speckled Sussex as  we love ours they are SO tame I can pick two up at a time (one under each arm) and they do hop onto my lap if i am sitting still watching them long enough..

I'm particularly fond of my Sussex (had two, but one turned out to be a Rooster).  Our Light Brahma would be my second choice. 
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
we have had black and gold sexlinked, plymouths, americaunas, RIR and buff orpingtons.
honestly, all of them have been family and kid friendly.  I think the main thing is to hold the chicks.  talk to them as you give them food and water, and hold hold hold them.  We had a 4-yo neighbor boy come over who freaked out when my 4&2 yo picked up one of our chickens.  But our chickens had been hand raised, and his had not.  the chickens at his house were mean.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »
I'm in Michigan as well. I have buff orpington's, bar rock's, americauna's, brahma's and a gold and silver wyandotte.....all are cold hardy and laid back. They do not like to walk in snow, so i have over head cover and have the entire chicken house is wrapped in a plastic sheet....if you have kids, get a couple Americaunas so you can get blue and green Easter eggs.....if your in SW Michigan, there is a great hatchery in Zeeland....
1st-30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

Offline trav

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:23 PM »
We just gave away a Silkie yesterday. She turned out to be a he. If we could have roosters, he would have been the perfect pet. He was very friendly, and would jump up in to our laps.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
We've got 14 hens.  Among the breeds are Speckled Sussex, Delaware, and RIR.  They are all very tame and like any pet you would have in your home (they sometimes walk right in).  Of the three, the Speckled Sussex are probably the friendliest, but at the same time are the most timid.

If you will be having a rooster, I've got some pretty horrific stories to tell about a RIR rooster that was my nemesis as a kid.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
Cochin bantams for kids. They are good egg layers, although smaller and make great childrens pets (and for adults too). They come in lots of colours and feather types, including Frizzles.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
Cochin bantams for kids. They are good egg layers, although smaller and make great childrens pets (and for adults too). They come in lots of colours and feather types, including Frizzles.

I've got a story about killer bantams too . . . .  Those damn roosters.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
I've got a story about killer bantams too . . . .  Those damn roosters.

Well yeah.... not all bantams are the same though. Like the OLD English Game ones... yikes..

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
Thanks for all you replies,  I will add the speckled sussex to my list of possible breeds.  I also like the americanua and the australope.