Author Topic: Ham radio and CB combo  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
Ham radio and CB combo
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
Is there any Ham Radio handheld that also does CB?

Been searching, but can't find anything.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
Re: Ham radio and CB combo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
http://www.wearecb.com/store/galaxy-dx33hp2-band-10-meter-mobile-radio-p-3124.html

That is a link to a Galaxy radio that has 10m capability as well as CB capability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-meter_band

That link will tell you a bit about the 10 meter band, but you are not going to find the majority of HAM traffic there. You will want to be on 20m, 40m, or 80m......and all those require a license (different license for different portions of the band). From what I have seen, almost all CB/HAM combos are only going to have the 10m band. Now, if you have a HAM radio and are a valid operator, you can transmit with your HAM radio in the CB area of the band (10m). Hope that helps.
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
From what I have seen, almost all CB/HAM combos are only going to have the 10m band.

what is what i have noticed. Maybe it is not possible in a handheld, but looking for 2M, 220, & 440 MHz,  and also CB
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
It is extremely difficult to get the FCC to sign off on CB/ham combos, which is why there aren't many.  Amateur Radio is governed by Part 97 of the FCC rules, and CB is governed by Part 95, and they have different requirements.

HOWEVER...

Buying a multimode HF ham radio with a general coverage receiver CAN do both in an emergency. 

My years-old Kenwood TS-50 has the "transmit unlock" modification done to it, so it can transmit out of band.  I have all 40 CB channels programmed into the memory.  I have tested it, and it works perfectly as a CB radio.  Now, it would be contrary to FCC rules to run this as a CB radio.  But during emergencies, anything goes as far as communications.  So I am ready.  In the meantime, I can legally LISTEN to CB channels on my ham radio, even if I can't legally TRANSMIT on them.

I hope you understand me here...

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
what is what i have noticed. Maybe it is not possible in a handheld, but looking for 2M, 220, & 440 MHz,  and also CB

Not going to happen in a handheld.  The Yaesu FT-857 is the closest you'll come to that.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
Not going to happen in a handheld.  The Yaesu FT-857 is the closest you'll come to that.
I need to dig mine out anyway..  but I'm pretty sure that the FT-817 will also operate in the CB range..  but it's seriously limited on power... 
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
I need to dig mine out anyway..  but I'm pretty sure that the FT-817 will also operate in the CB range..  but it's seriously limited on power...

That's discontinued.  I could name half a dozen discontinued radios that fit the bill, but that's not likely to help someone who is just getting into this.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
That's discontinued.  I could name half a dozen discontinued radios that fit the bill, but that's not likely to help someone who is just getting into this.
ACK! - Then I am for sure not giving mine up..  I had no idea... Will also have to find a replacement.. 817 is a great radio..

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
ACK! - Then I am for sure not giving mine up..  I had no idea... Will also have to find a replacement.. 817 is a great radio..

Yeah, that's why I'm not getting rid of my Kenwood TS-50S.  Great radio.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
i got a Yaesu vx-6.
I can listen, but can't transmit.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
Yeah, that's why I'm not getting rid of my Kenwood TS-50S.  Great radio.
I wouldn't get rid of it either..

However - it does look like the FT-817 is still available and Universal Radio

It's still pretty expensive,.. but for what it can do - some would say it's worth it.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
I wouldn't get rid of it either..

However - it does look like the FT-817 is still available and Universal Radio

It's still pretty expensive,.. but for what it can do - some would say it's worth it.

Universal has a lot of radios available that are discontinued.  Trust me, I have a contract with Yaesu, so I know people on the inside: The 817 is really discontinued.

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:40 AM »
It is extremely difficult to get the FCC to sign off on CB/ham combos, which is why there aren't many.  Amateur Radio is governed by Part 97 of the FCC rules, and CB is governed by Part 95, and they have different requirements.

HOWEVER...

Buying a multimode HF ham radio with a general coverage receiver CAN do both in an emergency. 

My years-old Kenwood TS-50 has the "transmit unlock" modification done to it, so it can transmit out of band.  I have all 40 CB channels programmed into the memory.  I have tested it, and it works perfectly as a CB radio.  Now, it would be contrary to FCC rules to run this as a CB radio.  But during emergencies, anything goes as far as communications.  So I am ready.  In the meantime, I can legally LISTEN to CB channels on my ham radio, even if I can't legally TRANSMIT on them.

I hope you understand me here...

Exactly. I am a General class HAM, and believe me, if it hits the fan I will be transmitting out of band if need be.
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
looks like it would be a lot less expensive to get them separate..
I was looking for both in one so I could carry just one back and forth to work with me.. My truck has no cb and I want to get my HAM license, so I was thinking Id get both in 1.. but the prices of these through the HAM Radio Outlet are way out of my price range

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
  • The Other Ham Radio Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:38 AM »
Cherokee Brand made one YEARS ago....nowadays the closest in a Hand Held you will find with be a Kenwood HT that TX's on 2m/440/220 and has a Broad RX...you could hear CB but not TX on it.

CB is regulated to 4w TX so it's hard to find a market (outside QRP) for someone who wants to buy a 4w rig that has privileges at 1000 watts and above....

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
Cherokee Brand made one YEARS ago....nowadays the closest in a Hand Held you will find with be a Kenwood HT that TX's on 2m/440/220 and has a Broad RX...you could hear CB but not TX on it.

CB is regulated to 4w TX so it's hard to find a market (outside QRP) for someone who wants to buy a 4w rig that has privileges at 1000 watts and above....

well that, and most Hams avoid CB like the Black Death  8)

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
this is ending soon.. but what about this? It says its compatible with cb channels?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-VHF-UHF-FM-8W-Li-ion-radio-for-136-174Mhz-400-520Mhz-Dual-Band-Walkie-Talkie/331095910103?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3894092064952323676%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D331095910103%26

It looks like a re-badged Baofeng UV-5R, the ones you can buy anytime for $30 at Amazon.  Even if it did do CB channels (in the sense of 11 meter CB, not "reprogrammable to GMRS"), it wouldn't do much with that rubber ducky antenna.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
well that, and most Hams avoid CB like the Black Death  8)

Why do Hams dislike CB so much?

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
who knows....I'm both, and I understand everything has it's place....some others.....well.....

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
Why do Hams dislike CB so much?
Look around here for a while: http://www.cbretards.com/  (language caution, but sorta mostly safe for work)
*shudder*

I still have, use, and like CB, but it's a pretty tame band around here.  I can only imagine what it's like in, say, the densely populated northeast.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
of course we've already established there are No current market units avail that (legally) do CB/Ham (VHF/UHF).....

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:05:26 AM »
Ive decided to hold off on the HAM radio.. I don't have a license and my primary interest in it is to communicate with my brother (in Maine) via radio.. since neither of us have our licenses yet.. I can put my money into our debt for now.. I did purchase a HH cb, as it is more pertinent to my life currently - being a truck driver I encounter accidents and backed up traffic daily.. tho only once has the cb given me any real clue to why the traffic was back up..

apparently the HH units are limited to 4 watts output.. giving me a 4 mile range supposedly. Im not sure if that is sufficient or annoying.

Anyway, thanks for the great posts! I will keep these links for when I am purchasing the HAM unit and accessories as well. Thanks Wolverine!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:53 AM »
Ive decided to hold off on the HAM radio..  I can put my money into our debt for now..

Great choice. It is always recommended to have less debt over having more stuff.

Check out http://www.radios1234.com/
There is some good info there.

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 06:29:03 AM »
regarding CB's (handheld and mobile/base):

The antenna will make or break you!  If your HH CB has an external antenna jack consider buying one to enhance it's service capability.  The difference it will make will be worth the cost (and it will really surprise you!)

SCW

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »
apparently the HH units are limited to 4 watts output.. giving me a 4 mile range supposedly. Im not sure if that is sufficient or annoying.
Yeah, they're all limited to the same 4 watts – from the biggest base station to the smallest handheld.  It's limited legally to this by the FCC, but it's enough to get a lot of serious comms done.  (I know, I know, there are amps to go higher, but we're trying to stay legal here.)  After that, as SCWolverine pointed out, it's all about the antenna.

Thanks for the link Hootie.  When the heck did Steven Harris add a radio store?!?  Good stuff, he'll get some Amazon link pass-through business off me.

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »
this is ending soon.. but what about this? It says its compatible with cb channels?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-VHF-UHF-FM-8W-Li-ion-radio-for-136-174Mhz-400-520Mhz-Dual-Band-Walkie-Talkie/331095910103?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3894092064952323676%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D331095910103%26

That looks just like a rebranded Baofeng UV-5r.  I have a couple of these and love them (get a new antenna).  99 channel dual-band that works across GMRS, FRS, HAM, and MURS frequencies, picks up FM radio, and dual channel monitoring in a $30 price range is incredible.  At that price get 5 of them and odds are two or more will last as long as any of the name brand HTs.  The best thing is they are VERY small.  I carry mine in my jacket pocket (with antenna disconnected and stored in same pocket) with no problems.  The worst thing that happens is sometimes it powers on by rattling around in my pocket and I have a dead battery when I go to use it.  Sounds bad but I keep a spare battery which is also very small and only cost about $10 so I always have at least one battery charged.

I think I'm going to get a couple more of the even cheaper Baofeng HT's and McGyver up a repeater.

-Brian in Oregon

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Ive decided to hold off on the HAM radio.. I don't have a license and my primary interest in it is to communicate with my brother (in Maine) via radio.. since neither of us have our licenses yet.. I can put my money into our debt for now.. I did purchase a HH cb, as it is more pertinent to my life currently - being a truck driver I encounter accidents and backed up traffic daily.. tho only once has the cb given me any real clue to why the traffic was back up..

Anyway, thanks for the great posts! I will keep these links for when I am purchasing the HAM unit and accessories as well. Thanks Wolverine!

If you could use FRS/GRMS-type radios for hunting, hiking, or whatever I'd still look at the Baofeng UV-5r.  Yes, it's a ham radio, but it also does FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies.  Just program the FRS channels in now for use as a walkie-talkie (complete with headset and VOX) and you'll have at least some HAM capabilities when you do get licensed without having to buy more radios.

I wish I had known about these before I picked up my Midland FRS/GMRS radios because the UV-5r does more than they do (and even has a built in flashlight).  Oh well, I have a couple of extra radios if I need them for local work.

If you're really on a budget the Baofeng BF-888s is even cheaper.  A little lighter on features but still has the same RX/TX frequency range and you can get 5 of them for under a hundred bucks on Amazon with free shipping via Prime.  I haven't tried those, but they're supposed to be okay.

I guess I should mention a word of warning is using these radios on FRS isn't strictly legal as they put out too much power even on low (FRS limited to .5watts and these do 1 watt on low).  You could keep you signal strength down by keeping the included antenna, but use at your own risk.  Of course in an emergency the rules get tossed.

-Brian in Oregon

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
the 888's are UHF only....(GMRS/FRS but no MURS)

.....Oh how I long for an $18 VHF 16ch radio!  ::)