Author Topic: Check this out...  (Read 1861 times)

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
Check this out...
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »
http://www.wimp.com/forgottenarchery/

Lars Anderson rediscovers the ancient art of rapidly and accurately firing arrows.

Edited by Nicodemus so that it could be left up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:35:00 PM by Nicodemus »
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Check this out...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
*Never underestimate a little Danish guy with a bow* <note to self>
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
Amazing, reminds me of when I was a kid in 4-H.   At camp we got to see Rev. Stacy Groscup put on an exhibition.   He shot an aspirin out of the air!  This guy is insanely good!
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
That's pretty cool.

Please folks, start putting descriptions with your video links or I'll have to take them down according to the forum rules.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
Please folks, start putting descriptions with your video links or I'll have to take them down according to the forum rules.

Wilco...  :-[ Sorry, Nico!!!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
No worries, but it probably helped in my decision that archery is one of my 13 in 13.  ;)

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
just amazing archery...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Ohio Homesteading

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Cunningham Homestead
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »
Nice Video! I'm thinking of archery for one of my 13 in 13 as well specifically I'm thinking of the crossbow. (probably all the zombie killing in the walking dead. love that show!)
A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Charles Darwin

http://www.ohiohomesteading.com

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Three cheers for the proper and methodical study/rediscovering of ancient knowledge of the sort which we never should have allowed ourselves to have lost in the first place. 8)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
with his rediscovered technique, he proves that proper technique isn't necessarily the best technique.

This is true for just about everything.

I just found this video last night and came over here to see if someone else had already posted it.

Offline TKO

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
That's insane! How many hours of practice do you suppose that takes?

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »
I shoot Japanese archery (Kyudo) and in the time it takes me to make one shot, he gets off seven. Pretty cool.
In all fairness to Kyudo though, it's a martial art and is meant to be slow.

For all you archers, notice the asymmetry of the grip, the length of the arrow, NO wrist protection (don't need it) and the string is drawn past the ear.

Psalm 109:8

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
For all you archers, notice the asymmetry of the grip, the length of the arrow, NO wrist protection (don't need it) and the string is drawn past the ear.

wow, that looks to be a gorgeous and quite large bow. what size arrow is that?

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
The bow is about 7' long, and is sized to the archer. So a shorter person would have a shorter bow.
My arrow is between 36 and 37 inches in length. Traditionally the bow (Yumi) is made from bamboo with a hardwood inner core, however they can be made from more modern materials. Here in Nevada a bamboo bow would be very hard to take care of because of the dry climate so we use composites of wood and fiberglass.
The arrows (Ya) are also traditionally made from bamboo, however aluminum or carbon fiber are quite popular.
The Fletching is usually from a turkey though in Japan they use sea eagle feathers.

Earlier I mentioned a wrist guard isn't needed. That's because of the dynamics of the shot. The arrow rests on the outside of the bow for starters, also the bow is gripped in a way that permits the bow to spin around in the hand. When one gets good at it, the string will bounce off the back of the wrist, having traveled almost 360 degrees.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
The bow is about 7' long, and is sized to the archer. So a shorter person would have a shorter bow.
My arrow is between 36 and 37 inches in length. Traditionally the bow (Yumi) is made from bamboo with a hardwood inner core, however they can be made from more modern materials. Here in Nevada a bamboo bow would be very hard to take care of because of the dry climate so we use composites of wood and fiberglass.
The arrows (Ya) are also traditionally made from bamboo, however aluminum or carbon fiber are quite popular.
The Fletching is usually from a turkey though in Japan they use sea eagle feathers.

Earlier I mentioned a wrist guard isn't needed. That's because of the dynamics of the shot. The arrow rests on the outside of the bow for starters, also the bow is gripped in a way that permits the bow to spin around in the hand. When one gets good at it, the string will bounce off the back of the wrist, having traveled almost 360 degrees.

very cool. thanks.

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Your welcome, as I said it's a martial art and has almost no practical application. There are hunting tips available, and some day I may give it a go with smaller game.

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
http://www.wimp.com/forgottenarchery/

Lars Anderson rediscovers the ancient art of rapidly and accurately firing arrows.

Amazing!  Wish I could do that with my crossbow.
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people
by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
--  James Madison
“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from his government.”

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
Your welcome, as I said it's a martial art and has almost no practical application. There are hunting tips available, and some day I may give it a go with smaller game.

hope there aren't any low hanging trees to get snagged on... ;)

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup