Author Topic: Skills to Add  (Read 1268 times)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
Skills to Add
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
I was looking for a category that included felling timber, cutting trees into logs, splitting logs, stacking, cordage, etc.  The only thing close is woodworking, but that has a totally different connotation.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Skills to Add
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:25:46 AM »
Once you are logged in, you can request that a skill be added.  There's a button for it.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
Once you are logged in, you can request that a skill be added.  There's a button for it.

Thanks!  That button wasn't there yet when I added mine.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
You have to set up your account completely.  Then after you go back in, you can look at the skills.  It's on that page.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
To be as inclusive as possible on this Dorothy and I decided to add "Lumberjacking"

I have been sharping that skill lately myself dropping some dead trees in heavy timber,  dropping dead wood is often a lot more risky then live.  Good skill set if anyone has a better idea for the the term then Lumberjacking, let me know. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline GeddyFlea

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • GeddyFlea Living The Dream
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
are you including milling with that skill?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »
To be as inclusive as possible on this Dorothy and I decided to add "Lumberjacking"

I have been sharping that skill lately myself dropping some dead trees in heavy timber,  dropping dead wood is often a lot more risky then live.  Good skill set if anyone has a better idea for the the term then Lumberjacking, let me know.

@ModernSurvival, you might consider the name "Forestry" instead of "Lumberjacking".  That's the word we use in the logging industry.  Also, to keep yourself safe when bringing down trees you should use ropes (if you aren't already).  By "ropes" that can be actual rope, winch cable, chain whatever.  The idea is to get a "rope" on the tree (or more than one), which is used to guide it the direction you want it to fall.  For safety I recommend running the "rope" through a snatchblock, and then to the tree.  That allows you to keep it from falling on important objects like your truck, the poor sap holding the rope, etc.  The "rope" doesn't have to be very high up either.  You can get it to eye level, or you can drag a ladder over to it to get a little higher.

Chainsaws can be very dangerous, but a "wild" tree can make a chainsaw look like a toothbrush in the safety area.  A tree going "wild" is more akin to a semi-truck with a drunk driver at the wheel.  They can twist, get hung up on something, or just plain take a path you didn't expect.  Anything you can do to put it where you want it is much more important than many people think about.  That's why my first recommendation to anyone is to take 15-20 minutes to assess the tree before ANY cutting is done.  Clear your escape routes, observe any possible entanglements with the tree, etc.  Hope this helps!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

Cool... Thanks!

Offline GeddyFlea

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • GeddyFlea Living The Dream
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
Am I missing the skill on farming? or is it under homesteading. I'm hoping to see a skill for bio-dynamic farming, which is really soil farming...which follows the phases of the moon...

Offline Cybersonic97

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I sent a request for kayaking, I'm still hoping that shows up.  Even something broader like boating would be cool.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
I sent a request for kayaking, I'm still hoping that shows up.  Even something broader like boating would be cool.

they should list it nautical navigation LOL. then sailing, boating, kayaking, canoeing, swimming walking on water, drowning could all be included :)
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
I didn't see "Community" or something similar. Before I suggested addding a new skill I kinda wanted to see if this is a skill, or just in my own skill.

It could fit in "People Skills", or "Education" or "Preparedness skills". But not really.

I want to establish a local community of preppers and like minded people. I have the benefit of a prepper store and I give regular classes and meetings and discussions. Some have asked and followed how we are putting the community together. So this may be a skill.

Specific milestones of goals. We started with a Meet-up group and 20ish people in September as members. Today we are 225 members registered. Our first meeting had 7 people. Today I host 60+ at each meeting/class (only due to space limitations). We have a regular schedule of events, courses, guest speakers. We have spread to 3 different local online forums and are growing the community almost daily and now two satellite groups.

I want to build more. I want to share more knowledge and spread further. That is my goal. I want to educate the community to a point they can spread more info and learning. Today we have people travel 2+ hours to our shop because either there is nothing like that in their area or not that many like minded people. I would like to have regular meetings with some of the church groups. They already have the basis for a community.

So is this a skill? or just my own goal? Building a community is a big part of prepping in my opinion.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf