Author Topic: Bob Costa's gun control comments...  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
Bob Costa's gun control comments...
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »
I just heard this story this morning, I did not catch it last night during the football game in real time.   Bob Costas did a sidebar editorial during the Sunday Night Football halftime show.   In fact, he was quoting/paraphrasing sports writer Jason Whitlock's article from earlier in the weekend. Costas agrees that if Javon Belcher did not have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive today.

Of course, this being on live TV with a big audience, would point the spotlight on Costas this morning in the news....but he was reiterating Whitlock's opinions on gun control.   In fact, he did not go NEARLY as far as Whitlock, you can read the article here...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

He believes Americans have come to accept their "insanity" towards gun violence, considering those of us absurd who believe that the second amendment enhances our liberty.

I do agree with Whitlock's take on the game, and how the NFL should have called it off in light of these specific circumstances.   He also casts no favorable light on Belcher himself, although makes some offhand remark about brain damage (from football activity?) as a possible cause of his actions.

I also don't really care about the whole spin on whether we place the game of football at a God-like level....whatever, he is the sports writer after all! 

I disagree that the lack of a gun would have absolutely changed the outcome of his rage.

What are your thoughts on the media's portrayal of this event?

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
Re: Bob Costa's gun control comments...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
I don't mind any of it.  Doing it during halftime is the proper time, whether or not I agree with what he is saying.  Gun violence is an issue that should be addressed and this was as good a time as any for him to say something.  He wants to be seen as a journalist even though he is making money off the glorification of violence while trying to denounce it.

There are a lot of strawmen and red herrings surrounding this issue, so getting to the root cause will be difficult.  It can be argued that he would have done what he did whether or not he had a gun.

I think the NFL did the right thing by playing the game.  If he had been in a car accident, the victim of a crime, or died of natural causes, they still would have played the game.  This particular incident may be unique to the NFL so far, but life does go on. 
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
I don't mind any of it.  Doing it during halftime is the proper time, whether or not I agree with what he is saying.  Gun violence is an issue that should be addressed and this was as good a time as any for him to say something.  He wants to be seen as a journalist even though he is making money off the glorification of violence while trying to denounce it.

There are a lot of strawmen and red herrings surrounding this issue, so getting to the root cause will be difficult.  It can be argued that he would have done what he did whether or not he had a gun.

I think the NFL did the right thing by playing the game.  If he had been in a car accident, the victim of a crime, or died of natural causes, they still would have played the game.  This particular incident may be unique to the NFL so far, but life does go on.

Thank you Shaunypoo for filling me in.  If it isn't hockey I don't follow it.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
I don't have a problem with him doing it during halftime either.   And of course I think most anyone would agree that gun violence is bad.

The issue for me is a prominent journalist (Whitlock) and the more compelling Costas seem to have no problem calling Americans absurd and insane for believing in their second amendment rights.   They resolve to the notion that possessing such an item would entice us into violence. 

These are the same men, in their profession in particular, that would vehemently defend the amendment just preceding this one in our Bill of Rights.  Couldn't one argue the right to free speech can bait us into violence as well?   
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
I seem to remember this same organization dumping Bocephus because he didn't approve of Mr. Obama.  Seems to be a pattern developing....
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
If Javon Belcher  ...

-  did not have mental issues and brain damage due to football
-  sought counseling and help
-  had friends and family that intervened with the drugs
-  had a girlfriend with a CHL - and carrried

...he and/or his girlfriend may still be alive.

There's a lot of "if"s out there.  If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on a log every time he jumped. 

The guy obviously had a lot of issues due to lifestyle and occupational choices he made.  Accusing the tool completely dismisses the root cause - he was not mentally stable. 

The Asperger's kid the other day killed his Dad and girlfriend with a bow and arrow, then stabbed himself to death with an arrow.  It could have easily been a kitchen knife.  Again, the issue was that the kid had some mental issues.  Maybe we should look at the mental health issues instead of treating the symptoms of it- no that's too logical and not sensational enough.

The sad thing is that the line of thinking that blames the gun also dismisses the needs of those crying out with true mental problems.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
Bob Costa is a A+, prime time, grade A a$$ h0le.

He is 5ft nothing and never played a sport in his life, he was most likely the back up water boy in high school.  But now he sits and commits on those who do and do it well.  I remember when troops were leaving for war to the middle east after 911 & were being interviewed by the press; and his commits that why would anyone be excited to go to war and  kill people..
He speaks only for short, winy elitists.

www.epguns.com
"George Of Jungle only here to help..."

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
It is pretty dumb to go on a gun control rant on national TV with a football audience.  I imagine the majority of SNF viewers are gun owners and did not appreciate Costas' unfounded comments about gun control and its effects on violence (which in fact is none, or makes it worse).  He aired a personal opinion that is not factual and is offensive to a large portion of his audience.  I suspect he will get plenty of feedback as will the NFL and NBC.

By firing Hank Williams and trying to blame guns instead of the NFL player's lifestyle of drug abuse, the NFL and NBC state that polictical correctness and protecting the NFL is more important than their viewers' values and sensibility to the truth.  They probably hope that by making a firestorm about gun control they will deflect any blame for NFL and drug abuse.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
I really do not care when and what Costas says, he is preaching to the choir as far as I am concerned.  Now as to Javon Belcher, he was gonna murder that girl no matter what.  Be it by firearm or four iron.  The only good things here really is that because he had a gun, he saved the taxpayers a million plus on his murder trial and incarceration by offing himself.  That would have been pretty hard to do with a four iron...
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
I don't know, some people think if he wasn't a professional football player he wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.  Maybe we should ban football.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
I don't know, some people think if he wasn't a professional football player he wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.  Maybe we should ban football.

I second the motion to ban football commenters.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
I don't mind some commentators, just really dislike Cris Collinsworth.  As a Bengals fan, he trashes them a lot.  And Jon Gruden talks like every QB is the greatest.  I usually listen to the radio broadcast.  Hoard and Lapham are pretty entertaining and unabashed homers.

And Costas wouldn't have said that on national TV without his producers signing off on it.  He is just furthering the political agenda of his owners, so everything is fine.

And I don't mind media types like Costas and Whitlock saying what they say, I just choose to take it for what it is worth.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
If Javon Belcher  ...
-  had a girlfriend with a CHL - and carrried
Winner winner chicken dinner.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Bob Costa is a A+, prime time, grade A a$$ h0le.

He is 5ft nothing and never played a sport in his life, he was most likely the back up water boy in high school.  But now he sits and commits on those who do and do it well.  I remember when troops were leaving for war to the middle east after 911 & were being interviewed by the press; and his commits that why would anyone be excited to go to war and  kill people..
He speaks only for short, winy elitists.

Clearly Whitlock is a bigger azzhat than Costas. The jerk doubled down. I have to admit that the irony of black men arguing for a return to Jim Crow laws is ironic at best.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/12/03/columnist-who-inspired-bob-costas-drops-new-bomb-nra-new-kkk

And yet another sportscaster, Jim Gray, jumps on the anti-gun band wagon:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ryan-robertson/2012/12/03/jim-gray-sides-costas-whitlock-gun-control-then-backtracks-wapo-call

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »

Bonnieblue2A, thanks for these latest articles.   I have seen, and enjoyed,  Whitlock on sports shows like PTI in the past, but had no idea of his thoughts on guns until this incident.   I'll have to go back through some of his past articles to get a better perspective.

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »
I have no problem with Costas or anyone else speaking against guns.
My issue is they quote made up and false facts and when confronted they usually make more stuff up or quote "sources" that are not credible and have also made up facts i.e. The Brady Campaign and speak from emotion, what they feel is fact.
As long as they do their research and have an actual debate and not a "I'm right even if the facts dispute that" argument then I am all for it.

I have had discussions with anti gun people who were rational so they listened when I contradicted their points and gave them facts and told them where they came from. A couple of them have changed their minds about having to get rid of guns even though they personally are not comfortable with them. Which is fine.
Just have an open mind and "Don't tread on me."

Just my 2 cents of barely in coherent dribble.
Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
Just have an open mind and "Don't tread on me."
My sentiments exactly.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
Meanwhile, back on the fiscal cliff and over in Cairo and Gaza........

Anyone else thinks the WH contacts these media talking heads to use gun control banter to destract from the real issues at hand?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
Meanwhile, back on the fiscal cliff and over in Cairo and Gaza........

Anyone else thinks the WH contacts these media talking heads to use gun control banter to destract from the real issues at hand?

You have a point here, I certainly think the WH press folks will offer information, exclusives and what not to the reporters and organizations that "play ball" (sports pun intended here :)).   Get us focusing on something else.   

As far as Costas goes, he's known to give his opinions when he has the spotlight.  He did it recently in the Olympics opening ceremonies chiding the IOC for not officially recognizing the Munich terrorist attacks.  He has also remarked in past Olympics too, regarding China and doped athletes.   He is good at what he does, and valued to NBC, so he can get his two cents in without fearing his dismissal.   Maybe that is a good thing?   A little controversy to keep us awake.

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

You have a point here, I certainly think the WH press folks will offer information, exclusives and what not to the reporters and organizations that "play ball" (sports pun intended here :)).   Get us focusing on something else.   

As far as Costas goes, he's known to give his opinions when he has the spotlight.  He did it recently in the Olympics opening ceremonies chiding the IOC for not officially recognizing the Munich terrorist attacks.  He has also remarked in past Olympics too, regarding China and doped athletes.   He is good at what he does, and valued to NBC, so he can get his two cents in without fearing his dismissal.   Maybe that is a good thing?   A little controversy to keep us awake.

Costas has armed security whenever he goes out. He is a typical leftist-elitist hypocrit.   IMO, he and Jason Whitlock should have kept their comments contained to the subject at hand, domestic violence among members/players of the NFL. That is the real story here and the one being ignored. No, they cannot be held accountable for their actions; instead, blame the NRA.

Latest reports have Belcher drunk and spending the night at his other girlfriend's apt. within 1.5 hrs. of returning home to murder his baby's mama infront of his own mama. The sicko unloads 9 rounds into her, kisses her forhead and kisses his 3 month old baby before driving to the Chief's practice facility to off himself infront of an audience. He had a history of domestic violence to such a degree that the Chief's organization either was or had provided counciling to both.

So, what we have is an NFL player who may have lied on the BATFE form 4473 (in regard to his history of domestic violence, alcohol, and drug abuse) in order to purchase his firearms. That is a felony. Did Costas or Whitlock address those details? No, instead they tried to coddle sympathy for the murderer and blame the gun and the NRA for all the problems of the inner city.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
Drug and alcohol abuser. History of violence. Workplace knew of his issues and was offering counseling (reportedly).

Bob Costas has no reason to editorialize during a game broadcast on gun control. NBC has many outlets (including MSNBC) where he can discuss political views. Not only does he inject his opinion, he quotes another reporter's opinion.

Where is his commentary on the "culture of violence" in the NFL. The "culture of substance abuse" in the NFL. The "culture of misogyny" in the NFL. Where is the commentary on the "culture of not marrying the mother of your children" in the NFL.

Yep, clearly guns are the problem here.

I will be emailing NBC Sports on this - it's unwelcome commentary and inappropriate venue for the commentary.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:19:25 PM »
What?  Are you trying to tell me that the criminal background check that the anti-gunner's swore would protect us from the "bad people" doesn't actually stop them from getting guns?  That maybe all it does is infringe on the rights of lawful citizens?  Interesting theory indeed!

By the way, a long time ago I decided that any broadcasting company with a "C" in it's name was liberal.  I just imagine the "C" stands for Communist.  So those companies would include:  ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, etc.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
I was listening to local talk radio today and they played an audio clip from I think the Limbaugh show.  A guy called in saying that his kid grew up in the same school the NF:L player did and he was a thug back then.  He would hire out to beat up kids and every "normal" kid feared and hated him.  After futile fighting with the school over the safety of his kids at school, this father finally put his kids in private school for their protection from this asshat.  He said this character was a bad egg since he was a kid and football, drugs and head trauma has nothing to do with it (except to maybe give him a platform from which to act).

So, none of the typical social disease excuses explain this recent murder-suicide (why don;t the perps ever reverse that order?).  He was a bully from a young age and he was rewarded to do so and public schools looked the other way (why? youth athlete? who cares? no adults reined in his violent behavior including his parent(s) ).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:00:51 AM by TexDaddy »
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/04/nbcs_bob_costas_says_anti-gun_commentary_was_a_mistake.html

He admits that it may have been a mistake to talk about gun control, but then goes on to state that it "maybe I gave the audience too much credit".  What a Grade-A Douche.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/04/nbcs_bob_costas_says_anti-gun_commentary_was_a_mistake.html

He admits that it may have been a mistake to talk about gun control, but then goes on to state that it "maybe I gave the audience too much credit".  What a Grade-A Douche.

Great observation!  "Maybe people who watch my program are too stupid to understand my convoluted rationale."  Or, "I apologize that the NFL audience is not filled with liberal elites such as myself who hire out their own protection because metros don't handle weapons."

"I apologize that I only mentioned how evil guns are and did not include a comment about drugs, too.  Now let's not focus on the culture of hiring thugs and drug abusers to play this sport, and the fact that politicians and LEOs give this immature violent offenders a free pass so often. Let's get back to evil guns and this time I will say much more about how bad guns are."

At least Jim Zumbo recognized his mistake and racked it up to temporary insanity.  Bob The Snob Costas doesn't even recognize how out of touch his life is with his audience.  GET OUT OF THE STUDIO ONCE IN A WHILE, BOB!  ATTEND A ACTUAL GAME IN THE STANDS AND NOT YOUR PLUSH PRESS OR GUEST BOX.

I hope he elaborates so we can see the full extant of his contempt and ignorance.  ;D

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
Good commentary here on the double standard of Whitlock, Costas and their anti-gun media cohorts:

http://www.ccrkba.org/?p=3012

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
Good commentary here on the double standard of Whitlock, Costas and their anti-gun media cohorts:

http://www.ccrkba.org/?p=3012

Thanks, good read.   I had similar thought about this, the guy was charged with "intoxication manslaughter".  I never have heard of that before, but it it seems worse than a "dui resulting in death".
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »

Thanks, good read.   I had similar thought about this, the guy was charged with "intoxication manslaughter".  I never have heard of that before, but it it seems worse than a "dui resulting in death".

Two words: repeat offender