Author Topic: ATF Visit  (Read 1590 times)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
ATF Visit
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
A good friend of mine is a gunsmith (he was a master Marine Corp gunsmith) and a small dealer - basically a custom shop with all the tools needed to make whatever you desire.  He called me today and said the ATF stopped bye and copied every dang page of his book.  I was under the understanding that this was a no no.  He said what was he going to do?  They also said to him that they want him on their side.  I asked him what the heck they meant by that, he said he didn't have a clue!  This kind of stuff make one wonder what is brewing...
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: ATF Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »
His book??

What is that??

His book of customers??
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
All FFL holders must keep records of every gun they sell, basically the BATFE form that you fill out when they do the background check, the FFL must keep this info on file for as long as they are in business.  When they retire, they must surrender the book to the ATF.    If there is a legit reason they may copy select information from the books, but the ATF is not allowed to take the book, or make copies of the whole book.
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
Yes Oil Lady, but its a little more than that. It's officially his ATF LOG Book ALL sales/transfers/purchases/inventory with serial numbers and corresponding form 4473s. Thats how they tell who bought what when and from where.

This sounds like a fishing expo or the quiet beginning of making a national database. especially if he has never had a problem with the ATF before. in any kind of outright ban scam of semiautos you have to find the custom/small builders first and see what they have sold /instock because most of those guys will torch the records for the protection of their friends and fellow citizens and especially for the fact they aren't on computers. The big manufactures are all on computer as well as the large gun stores those records are available any time legally or otherwise.

This administration talks all peace and love out the front but acts like the KGB/GRU with the rights of certain groups who didn't vote for it or their views

DrJohn tell your buddy watch himself and his back

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
There's a good chance ATF is doing a trace on a particular firearm(s) and at some point and time the firearm(s) came thru his transfer. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape over it.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
A good friend of mine is a gunsmith (he was a master Marine Corp gunsmith) and a small dealer - basically a custom shop with all the tools needed to make whatever you desire.  He called me today and said the ATF stopped bye and copied every dang page of his book.  I was under the understanding that this was a no no.  He said what was he going to do?  They also said to him that they want him on their side.  I asked him what the heck they meant by that, he said he didn't have a clue!  This kind of stuff make one wonder what is brewing...

IMO, your gunsmith friend should contact the best regarded "expert" firearms attorney in his state and find out about the jurisdiction of BATFE to copy his log. If they do not have that juridiction he should contact his Congressmen/women as well as Chairman Issa and Rep. Gowdy on the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, whom are currently shoulder deep investigating BATFE's practices. There is always room for more whistleblowers in the face of tyranny.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
Yes Oil Lady, but its a little more than that. It's officially his ATF LOG Book ALL sales/transfers/purchases/inventory with serial numbers and corresponding form 4473s. Thats how they tell who bought what when and from where.

This sounds like a fishing expo or the quiet beginning of making a national database. especially if he has never had a problem with the ATF before. ...
DrJohn tell your buddy watch himself and his back

And/or a gradual squeeze on the little guys. My favorite local shop back in RI was a one man show (retired cop) ATF did the same with him out of the blue; complete audit, records check, etc...

He actually said that maybe it was time to get out of the business as it was getting to be such a pain. I don't think .gov would shed many tears if he and thousands like him actually did so.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
"There's a good chance ATF is doing a trace on a particular firearm(s) and at some point and time the firearm(s) came thru his transfer. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape over it."

now now... no logical or probable explinations allowed here :)

C'MON! ITS A CUNSPUURASEE!!!!

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
If they are doing a trace on one or even a dozen books, why copy the whole darn thing, why not just find the pages you need and copy those?  Seems like a lot less effort to me.
- Edward Gibbon

inbox485

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
"There's a good chance ATF is doing a trace on a particular firearm(s) and at some point and time the firearm(s) came thru his transfer. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape over it."

now now... no logical or probable explinations allowed here :)

C'MON! ITS A CUNSPUURASEE!!!!

Perhaps spend some time looking into people murdered and lives destroyed by the ATF before mocking people for assuming they are up to no good even if there might be some explanation for it. At some point, an agency becomes evil enough that they don't deserve any benefit of doubt anymore.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was a Gun Talk radio / podcast I believed that what the ATF / BATF was against the law.   It was a big stink because they were going to all of the stores and collecting all of the material. 

Quick google found this info - I believe this was what Tom G' was talking about...

BATF in Alaska DEMANDING "Bound Book" from Gun Store to copy in its totality!!

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-national/breaking-confrontation-between-alaska-gun-store-and-atf

Anchorage, Alaska indicates that a local gun store has refused to comply with an order from the ATF to turn over to the agency the official 'Bound Book' that firearms retailers are required to keep on site on customers and their purchases, photo I.D.s, and background checks.

The store's refusal has provoked a confrontation with the ATF, which claims that the Bound Book is 'their property.'

An initial report was published here yesterday concerning this new illegal activity on the part of the ATF.

According to a memo from the Anchorage Second Amendment Task Force, the Great Northern Guns store in Anchorage was asked to give their Bound Book to the ATF so it could be copied in its totality. The store refused, citing their legal rights and the fact that to do so would be a violation of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:54:25 PM by Bradbn4 »
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Kinda make clear what they ment by "our side" if you ask me.
- Edward Gibbon

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
Perhaps spend some time looking into people murdered and lives destroyed by the ATF before mocking people for assuming they are up to no good even if there might be some explanation for it. At some point, an agency becomes evil enough that they don't deserve any benefit of doubt anymore.

I worked as a consultant setting up a gun store in southern Florida.  After getting all their T's crossed and I's dotted they received their first "meeting" with the ATF agent that showed up at their shop.  They were informed that they were to keep all copies of their 4473's and A/D log (Acquisition and Disposition).  That's all within the law.  When they asked what to do after the time passed for required holding of those documents, it was "put to them in no uncertain terms".  They were "encouraged" to turn the documents over to the ATF.  If they chose not to, things could get "difficult" when dealing with them.

It's ACTUAL cases like this that have ensured that I will never waste my time dealing with this type of organized crime.  I can do anything I want without an FFL and plan to keep it that way.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »
There's a good chance ATF is doing a trace on a particular firearm(s) and at some point and time the firearm(s) came thru his transfer. I wouldnt get too bent out of shape over it.

When conducting an investigation it's common practice to ask for the records of three or four people in addition to the one you're actually looking for, it keeps the anonymity of the person being investigated and of the case. I don't know how the ATF runs their investigations, nor do I want to, but the entire book seems excessive.
Standing Order #19. Let the enemy come 'til he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him with you hatchet. - Maj Robert Rogers, 1759

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

It was a joke...

and btw....you're simply subscribing to the other extreme of this issue.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

You can almost feel it in the air. Something just does not feel right. I can't explain it...
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
When conducting an investigation it's common practice to ask for the records of three or four people in addition to the one you're actually looking for, it keeps the anonymity of the person being investigated and of the case. I don't know how the ATF runs their investigations, nor do I want to, but the entire book seems excessive.
Yep.
The books are not that thick. About the size and thickness of a comic book. Once you fill one up you start with another.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

inbox485

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
It was a joke...

and btw....you're simply subscribing to the other extreme of this issue.

Yup there are two extremes. One is that the ATF is fine and dandy and the other is that they are a state sponsored mafia. Only one side of that equation has the support of every fact and anecdote I've ever come across though. So yeah, consider me subscribed. ;)

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
Yup there are two extremes. One is that the ATF is fine and dandy and the other is that they are a state sponsored mafia. Only one side of that equation has the support of every fact and anecdote I've ever come across though. So yeah, consider me subscribed. ;)

+1

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »

Please, to save the lives of the people the ATF might be going after, tell us what dealer it was.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
Please, to save the lives of the people the ATF might be going after, tell us what dealer it was.
I had the same thought. I hope the dealer notified his customers that tanks and incindiary rounds may be headed their way.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
You can almost feel it in the air. Something just does not feel right. I can't explain it...

I agree. With the gun and ammo rushes and the rumors of new gun laws... something is going to happen.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726