Author Topic: Steel Case Ammo: what shoots the best?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Steel Case Ammo: what shoots the best?
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
does anyone have any conclusions about accuracy after shooting the various brands of steel case ammo?

What kind of groups does your rifle shoot with steel case ammo at 100 yds? What brand of ammo, bullet weight? How does this compare to other brands (including brass cased)?

Offline 3:16

• Prepper
  • I love God, my Wife, my Son and my country.
Re: Steel Case Ammo: what shoots the best?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
Golden tiger in 7.62x39 is in my opinion better than the brass cased . In every sense it is well sealed coated nicely to slide in and out of the chamber and it is boat tailed accuracy is only sub to some hand loads at 100 yards 

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
What group size are you getting at100 with golden tiger?

Offline 3:16

• Prepper
  • I love God, my Wife, my Son and my country.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »
Average 2.5 off a shoulder pack and if i have a good stance and grip i can get 8 inch groups standing its nothing to gawk about but that's the kill zone and that's a rate of fire one Mississippi

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »

I have shot many thousands of rounds of Wolf 5.56 steel cased ammo.  Its about half inch less accurate at 100 yards and noticeably under powered compared to Lake City M855 or other brass cased mil surp ammo.  With that said I am still able to score 300 yards hits with it, and I even use it for practical/tactical competitions as its cheaper.  For practice and for those types of competitions its certainly good enough.  It's much dirtier too and the rifle needs lots of cleaning afterwards.  It's not been dirty enough to induce failure though. 

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
My favorite is the silver bear. The reliability is much greater and only costs a little more. I shoot the silver bear 7.62x39 and the silver bear. 308 almost exclusively.
In Liberty

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
I have shot many thousands of rounds of Wolf 5.56 steel cased ammo.  Its about half inch less accurate at 100 yards and noticeably under powered compared to Lake City M855 or other brass cased mil surp ammo.  With that said I am still able to score 300 yards hits with it, and I even use it for practical/tactical competitions as its cheaper.  For practice and for those types of competitions its certainly good enough.  It's much dirtier too and the rifle needs lots of cleaning afterwards.  It's not been dirty enough to induce failure though.

Were both samples 5.56 NATO or was one labeled .223 Rem.?
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
Hornady makes a Steel Match ammo that may be good. I have not shot any of what I have yet to see and only have a couple of reports about it specifically, but those reports are favorable of it.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Were both samples 5.56 NATO or was one labeled .223 Rem.?

I don't remember how the Wolf was labeled.  All the milsurp was (of course) 5.56.  I have also shot Federal American Eagle labeled as .223 but I stay away from it as I have had big reliability issues with American Eagle handgun ammo. 

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
I don't remember how the Wolf was labeled.  All the milsurp was (of course) 5.56.  I have also shot Federal American Eagle labeled as .223 but I stay away from it as I have had big reliability issues with American Eagle handgun ammo.

I'm sure you can find all kinds of information online, but there are worlds of difference between ammunition within given calibers.  Even within one caliber, where and by whom can be different as well.  "Europe" sometimes uses lower pressure ammunition with 5.56 than the U.S. does.  Tolerances and pressures vary enough that I would recommend finding the manufacturer and lot that works best for you.  You're on the right track with that already.  Many people just buy a box of ammo and roll with that.  It isn't "wrong", but with some sampling you can do better for your needs.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)