Author Topic: 13 in 13 Skill 1: Soap Making  (Read 15169 times)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: 13 in 13 Skill 1: Soap Making
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi Rosie,

I actually wondered the same thing. So hopefully someone with experience can shed light.

Here is just my opinion. Being a Chemist educated, lye is lye. The only difference I could tell would be purity. When I worked in pharmaceuticals we had different purity levels. 99.99% for most applications. I am assuming this is the same. regular lye (drain cleaner) may only be 90% lye. that 10% is something you may not want to put on your skin or it may have other chemical interactions with the fragrances etc.

When you get a change head over to the intro thread and introduce yourself and welcome.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
Hello!  Wondered if anyone had thoughts on using food grade lye versus regular lye.  I know that the lady who talked about soapmaking on Jack's show uses food grade lye, but it seems to be harder to get and a lot more expensive.

Thanks for any input!

I always use food grade lye. Poison is poison however. I am not sure what the difference is.

Offline dakotadog

• Prepper
  • Learning Every Day
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
Lye Tip - If you know anyone that works at a chem lab or any company that uses such things I was able to get 10 lbs of pharmaceutical grade Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) that had "expired" for free.  In Boston we have tons of pharma labs and all chemicals have an expiration date, which mostly means nothing.  Ask around you may get lucky.....

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
Lye Tip - If you know anyone that works at a chem lab or any company that uses such things I was able to get 10 lbs of pharmaceutical grade Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) that had "expired" for free.  In Boston we have tons of pharma labs and all chemicals have an expiration date, which mostly means nothing.  Ask around you may get lucky.....

Great tip!

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
I use soapcalc.com as a lye calculator. I get my lye from AAAchemicals in league city Texas.  They do ship in small batches. (1 lb.)  they also have deals on oils too. ( not affiliated but a regular customer). Soapmakingresources.com is another good site for recipes and supplies

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
I finally made my own soap mold! I need to get tape (yes I am out of duct tape  >:( >:(

Then I will line them with poly mailing bags and some freezer paper. This weekend I am making cedarwood and tea tree soap. I have gotten a lot of compliments about my soap from people I have given them too.

Here is the math:

2.4.2013-new wood mold
2.5 x 3.5 x 15.75 = 137.81 cu inches
137.81 x .39 = 53.75 total ounces of oil or 3.36 lb of soap

36.1 tallow
17.7 coconut oil
8.241 oz lye
17.8 oz water

or

17.8 tallow, palm oil and coconut oil
8.2 oz lye
17.5 oz water

This is with 0% superfats; From here you would add 5, 10 or at the most 15% superfats

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
Oh and this wood was scrap at the home depot; .51 each, one was a 1x4x4 and one was a 1x6x4 and they cut them for me. The hinges are what costs so much

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
Cool mold!  I might just make one of those myself this weekend. ;)  Then all that's left is to wait on my does to freshen, as I already have plenty of lye and fats on hand.  I just love plain old fashioned lye soap made with goat milk. 

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
Here is a photo of my soap mold lined with used poly mailer bags.

I just added my super fats to my batch of Cedarwood Tea Tree soap. Then I will cook it and add the essential oils and add it to the mold. I will add photos when I am done with that process.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline aman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 02:44:05 AM »
Hi All

I am looking for a method of making pure castile liquid soap like Dr Bronners

I have dreadlocks and I need a soap that washes out completely

Cheers

aman

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
I am not familiar with how to make liquid soap but I started on Youtube. There are a bunch of videos there. Castile is soap using only olive oil but the liquid part of it requires other stuff.

You would get the materials at the same places I do and the method is the same. Good luck. I really like using my own soaps.

Today I am making a loaf of Lemon/Lavendar/Calendula soap that has a 15% superfat so it is great for dry skin. I added ground Tumeric spice for the color and for the amazing skin healing qualities.

This soap is going to Kuwait in a couple of weeks with my son.

Offline lunchbox63h

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
13 in 13 Skill 1: Soap Making
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
Liquid Soap..... You would think a soap that doesn't have to cure solid would be easier. Holy crap was I wrong.  It wasn't impossible but it is way more involved, and if you do decide to undertake this project read up on it better than I did.  Turns out you dilute the normal soap mix in water, so I ended up with two gallons of soap not just one like I thought.  I dam near ran out of room in my stock pot. I would like to thank Summer bee meadow for their lye calculator and the dummies instructions I got off of about.com
Hi All

I am looking for a method of making pure castile liquid soap like Dr Bronners

I have dreadlocks and I need a soap that washes out completely

Cheers

aman

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Liquid Soap..... You would think a soap that doesn't have to cure solid would be easier. Holy crap was I wrong.  It wasn't impossible but it is way more involved, and if you do decide to undertake this project read up on it better than I did.  Turns out you dilute the normal soap mix in water, so I ended up with two gallons of soap not just one like I thought.  I dam near ran out of room in my stock pot. I would like to thank Summer bee meadow for their lye calculator and the dummies instructions I got off of about.com

Have you posted your pics anywhere?