Author Topic: Tired of Ubuntu -- What Linux do I want?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Tired of Ubuntu -- What Linux do I want?
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Okay, I know we're overloaded with computer geeks here, so I'm inviting you to argue about the best Linux. 8)

I'm not happy with some of the recent changes in Ubuntu, so I've been delaying upgrades on our home PCs, but it's really time to do it now.  I don't mind doing a little hacking to get things running, but mostly I want a system that works without a lot of fussing about.  Currently considering Linux Mint Debian Edition with the XFCE user interface.

Opinions?

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
Re: Tired of Ubuntu -- What Linux do I want?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »
I dabbled in Linux about 6 or 7 years ago.  At that point in time, Linux was hard to install wireless network drivers on. Has this been improved? I don't want to pay for Windows or Apple products on my next computer, so I will follow this thread.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:47:15 AM »
I like my Linux to just install without much fuss.  That is unless the goal is to learn about it.  I'm using Linux Mint 13 MATE on my netbook.  I was going to go with LMDE with XFCE, but I had issues getting it to immediately set up my wifi, so I dumped it.  Personally, I'd stick to the Debian spin offs, the package manager just seems to work seamlessly.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
I dabbled in Linux about 6 or 7 years ago.  At that point in time, Linux was hard to install wireless network drivers on. Has this been improved?...

I only have two data points on that.  I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a new Acer laptop in Feb 2010, and it set up the internal wi-fi on its own with no problem.

On the other hand...

... I was going to go with LMDE with XFCE, but I had issues getting it to immediately set up my wifi, so I dumped it. ...

Exact same problem here yesterday, but I was using a very ancient Toshiba laptop for that attempt.

So I think the answer is, if you have fairly common and recent hardware, installation will probably go smoothly and automatically -- oterwise, you may have to become a hacker.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
At work we are in bed w/ RH.    So for me, I use CentOS.

http://www.centos.org/
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
So I think the answer is, if you have fairly common and recent hardware, installation will probably go smoothly and automatically -- oterwise, you may have to become a hacker.

becoming a hacker is why I quit trying with Linux... I wasn't interested in the hacking part. My options at the time were to buy the Dell laptops that came with Ubuntu pre-installed or to become a hacker to force the computer to accept my wireless card. The Dells were actually more expensive than their Windows counterparts, so I said screw it.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
There's really very little hacking involved in installing Linux anymore.  The vast majority of time, you boot off the CD or thumb drive and tell it to install.  That's it. 

Where I ran into issues is that XFCE (Not Linux Mint) does not default to having the wifi running at startup.  Mate does.  The stumbling point for me was that I don't know enough about desktop Linux to fix that.  I use Linux every day at work, but it's headless servers.

I'll be switching to a Red Hat based distro in the near future.  I use RH at work, and in January I should be taking a RH course.   Might as well run it at home also.
F_M

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
I'm kinda more of a "command line" guy instead of GIU, so I run Ubuntu Server (defaults to command line).  Sorry, no help there.  I did put Linux Mint on another machine, and liked it OK.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »

I'll be switching to a Red Hat based distro in the near future.  I use RH at work, and in January I should be taking a RH course.   Might as well run it at home also.

See above, I linked CentOS.

I am an Oracle DBA, we use RH over Oracle Enterprise Linux because it is what our UNIX team will support.   Even OEL is a RH distro, but they put thier spin on it.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

See above, I linked CentOS.

I am an Oracle DBA, we use RH over Oracle Enterprise Linux because it is what our UNIX team will support.   Even OEL is a RH distro, but they put thier spin on it.
We use RHEL and MySQL at work.

What's the default desktop environment for CentOS?  Also, I assume that the RPM package manager has improved in checking for dependencies?
F_M

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »
What's the default desktop environment for CentOS?  Also, I assume that the RPM package manager has improved in checking for dependencies?

The default desktop for CentOS is Gnome 2.  That's why I bailed on Fedora and switched to CentOS when Fedora 15 came out and switched to the not-ready-for-prime-time Gnome 3.

The Yum package manager is very good at managing dependencies, as long as you're a little bit careful about which package repositories you use.  You can get into trouble with some third-party repositories, but stick with the ones recommended by CentOS, and it works very well.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline DesertDog

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
I tried the XFCE manager and it was ok, but didn't have all the functionality I desire.  I hate the latest Gnome 3 and KDE.  I currently use full blown version of Mint with both the Cinnamon interface or sometimes I use Mate (read Gnome 2ish).  It is rock solid and even fully installed properly on my laptop, which is about the only distro that will install without major tweaking.

Online archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
my main work provided workstation is ubuntu. it's ok, it has been 'modified' by work for security reasons.
when i build my own, i preferred centos, it's not as flashy as ubuntu and the other bleeding edge desktop distros, but it's stable and works. i also used centos on the servers i supported.

I don't want to pay for Windows or Apple products on my next computer, so I will follow this thread.

you can build your own 'osx' system these days, i am tempted to do this next year. here are some links:
http://www.saveourskills.com/building-mac-compuer-cheap-hackintosh-guide
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac
http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
you can build your own 'osx' system these days, i am tempted to do this next year. here are some links:
http://www.saveourskills.com/building-mac-compuer-cheap-hackintosh-guide
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac
http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/

I've seen those, and they are impressive but the OS is included in my bunching of "Apple Products" that I don't want.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
i preferred centos, it's not as flashy as ubuntu and the other bleeding edge desktop distros, but it's stable and works.

One other nice feature is the extremely long support life of CentOS releases.  You can install CentOS 6 on a machine today, and there are really good odds the OS will outlive the hardware by a long while. 

I'm a sysadmin for a living, and while I used to really enjoy tinkering and hacking in my spare time, I just don't really want to spend my personal time playing with operating systems anymore.  I like being able to install the OS, and just have it work with minimal maintenance and upkeep (basically just security updates) for years at a time.  CentOS fills that bill nicely, at the expense of not running the latest and greatest versions of everything.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »
Fedora 17 - and if you want a bit of fun - get the autoten s/w from Danger Mouse - it will set up and let you use VLC and other software.

If you just want to kick the tires - I would recommend getting Vbox (virtual box) s/w from Oracle for your windows / apple / linux box so you can virtualize other O/S like Red hat or maybe Sun Solaris 10 / 11. 
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Online archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
I'm a sysadmin for a living, and while I used to really enjoy tinkering and hacking in my spare time, I just don't really want to spend my personal time playing with operating systems anymore.  I like being able to install the OS, and just have it work with minimal maintenance and upkeep (basically just security updates) for years at a time.  CentOS fills that bill nicely, at the expense of not running the latest and greatest versions of everything.

same as me.... when i stop work for the moment, i dont want to tinker with computers anymore.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
I just went through this same process a couple months ago. I've settled out with LMDE. Runs lighter than most of the others.
I loved debian kde. But my machine didn't have enough memory to really make it work well. So far LMDE does everything I need.

Offline kokojoe99

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
My primary workstation runs openSUSE 12.2.  It has great support and works with most hardware.  The OS is packed with features.  As much as I like it Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint are the easiest distros to work with in my opinion.  When I'm looking for something to fit my needs I usually go to www.distrowatch.com and just start trying different distros till I find what suits me.