Author Topic: Bolt Carrier Group  (Read 563 times)

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
Bolt Carrier Group
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
Is this essential to the function of the AR or is it an extra that helps it?  If you buy a complete upper minus the BCG does it not work? Please assist I'm fairly naive on the subject.  Thanks in advance
applejak

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Bolt Carrier Group
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »
Is this essential to the function of the AR or is it an extra that helps it?  If you buy a complete upper minus the BCG does it not work? Please assist I'm fairly naive on the subject.  Thanks in advance

The bolt carrier group is necessary to function the rifle.  It is what cycles the ammunition, locks into the barrel and fires the ammunition.  I assume you're asking because you are pricing them and found uppers that don't come with bolt carrier groups.  If you buy an upper, you will still need the BCG.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »
The bolt carrier group is necessary to function the rifle.  It is what cycles the ammunition, locks into the barrel and fires the ammunition.  I assume you're asking because you are pricing them and found uppers that don't come with bolt carrier groups.  If you buy an upper, you will still need the BCG.

Ya thats exactly why.  Thanks for the info its kinda funny when they refer to them as complete but then say stripped upper assembly even though in the picture it appears to have everything.  Im starting to think I just read it wrong.   Anyways thanks a bunch. 
applejak

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »
"Stripped" usually means the upper receiver is missing the ejection port cover (and parts), as well as the forward assist (and parts).  On the lower it refers to everything except the lower.

With the upper, the charging handle assembly and BCG are sometimes or sometimes not included (the price usually reflects that).
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)