Photobucket

Author Topic: Outline of your Document Packets  (Read 1489 times)

Offline rabbitdave

• Fledgling Prepper
Outline of your Document Packets
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
Would anyone be willing to outline everything that is in your document packet? I am in the process of building one and it seems when I search for Document Packet there is not a concise document that lists everything and everyone's good ideas. May also be a great 13 in 13 skill - "Document Packet" because this is a skill.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Outline of your Document Packets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »
Hi RabbitDave.  I'm sure mine's not perfect, but here's what I do.  All is kept in a pwd-protected excel file on an encrypted water-resistant/shock-resistant drive.  One at home, one in safe box, one in each BOB, and all updated quarterly.  In the file:

Contact tab: list of name, phone, full address, email for everyone I can think of I might need to contact
Identification tab:  images of drivers license, passport, entry visas for other countries, passport card, birth certificate, soc sec card
Financial images tab:  front and backs of all credit and debit cards
Financial accounts tab:  list of all institutions, account types, account numbers, contact phones, website addresses, etc
Passwords tab:  list of all passwords
Medical tab:  images of all insurance cards, vaccination cards, glasses and contact prescriptions
Vehicles tab:  images of all vehicle titles
Insurance tab:  Images of the main pages of all insurance policies
Other tab:  images of ham radio license, ccw, AAA card, hunters ed cards, etc
Firearms tab:  list of all firearms owned with serial numbers, model, where and when purchased, etc
Safe deposit box tab:  list of everything that's in the bank vault
Legal tab:  legal documents for businesses (articles of incorporation, certificates of organization, etc)

Hope that helps.

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
Is anyone dressing this up a bit or is it just a spreadsheet format and nothing fancy?

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »
You will want to scan these and put them on a thumb drive with encryption.  True crypt has a free program that you can place on a thumb drive itself and it can be opened at any computer you go to. 

With the thumb drive you always have a copy of your docs.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
Hi RabbitDave.  I'm sure mine's not perfect, but here's what I do.  All is kept in a pwd-protected excel file on an encrypted water-resistant/shock-resistant drive.  One at home, one in safe box, one in each BOB, and all updated quarterly.  In the file:

Contact tab: list of name, phone, full address, email for everyone I can think of I might need to contact
Identification tab:  images of drivers license, passport, entry visas for other countries, passport card, birth certificate, soc sec card
Financial accounts tab:  list of all institutions, account types, account numbers, contact phones, website addresses, etc
Medical tab:  images of all insurance cards, vaccination cards, glasses and contact prescriptions
Firearms tab:  list of all firearms owned with serial numbers, model, where and when purchased, etc
Legal tab:  legal documents for businesses (articles of incorporation, certificates of organization, etc)

Hope that helps.
Excel works to a degree,.. but not really 'nice' to include scanned images.  I thought of using Access.. since it's a step up from Excel and you can import images.. and then create reports to print out your binder.  However - Access is a paid software, and I don't do paid.

Something to consider and what I intend to include in mine is a Floor Plan of the home with pointers to various items: Water shut off, Gas shut off, Fire safety, etc.  It may be a image with overlays for each 'topic'.

Also, as we are in a evac zone, maps and rally points. 

Thumb Drives and security programs such as TrueCrypt are great, and I do plan to use them.  But sometimes it's better to have things on paper.

Once completed (which will be never) I plan to have the printed version in a leather document wallet - one for each person.  Thumb Drives included.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
For those divorced and/or divorced with kids also may need to include custody/divorce decree.

Because my current wife kept her family name we also have our marriage license. We actually have had to use it before because the "authority" didn't believe us at our word we were married. Was hospital staff but made us realize we needed to have it.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
Hope that helps.

Maybe not perfect, but you did a great job - and it seems to work for you.  Plus 1 for this idea and list; simple enough to implement without too much hassle, and effective enough provide what you need.  Plus it is expandable - you can add other tabs for your EDC inventory, your BOB/GHB inventory, your short-term and long-term inventories, your list of steps to complete for any given incident, and anything else that you wish to document.

One more thing - anyone who has one should scan in their DD-214 (Dept of Defense Discharge Form).  You can keep it in the Legal, or maybe the Other, tab.

Excel works to a degree,.. but not really 'nice' to include scanned images.  I thought of using Access.. since it's a step up from Excel and you can import images.. and then create reports to print out your binder.  However - Access is a paid software, and I don't do paid

Take a look at Kexi (http://www.kexi-project.org/).  I did a bit of research on open-source alternatives to Access a while back, unfortunately the project disappeared before I could get far enough along to install it and evaluate it for myself.  Lots of people seem to like it, though.  (I need to get back to that, it looks like it would help for some of my other projects.)

Another database project that I found, that may meet your needs, is Glom (http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Glom.)  I will look into this some more - another database program that looks like it will do.

Also, if you Google "open-source alternatives to Access" you will see a lot of other options.
ChEng
"Cap'n, she canna take much more of this...  My poor country 'tis startin ta fall apart!"

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot!  I had started on a list, but I kept thinking of things to add to it.  Thanks.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
For those divorced and/or divorced with kids also may need to include custody/divorce decree.

Because my current wife kept her family name we also have our marriage license. We actually have had to use it before because the "authority" didn't believe us at our word we were married. Was hospital staff but made us realize we needed to have it.

Also might need any Powers of Attorney you have, wills, etc. 
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »
Powers of Attorney you have, wills, etc. 

I'm not trying to be an ass, but can anyone offer a good argument as to why you would want the majority of this information in a BOB, especially if you already had it located in multiple locations and felt that if your house burned down you would still have a copy somewhere safe. . . .  I just don't believe that having the majority of this information on you, is safe.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
I'm not trying to be an ass, but can anyone offer a good argument as to why you would want the majority of this information in a BOB, especially if you already had it located in multiple locations and felt that if your house burned down you would still have a copy somewhere safe. . . .  I just don't believe that having the majority of this information on you, is safe.

Which is why they're talking about putting it on an encrypted hard drive.

In my case, I was raising my mother's house on Christmas Eve of last year because she needed the Power of Attorney regarding my grandmother ASAP.
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
Which is why they're talking about putting it on an encrypted hard drive.

In my case, I was raising my mother's house on Christmas Eve of last year because she needed the Power of Attorney regarding my grandmother ASAP.

I guess it's all about personal experiences, but I have never been turned down care or help where that information had to be obtained RIGHT NOW and couldn't wait a day or two or circumvented completely.  And much of the listed information I can not see ever needing it in a hurry.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

A guy who went through Katrina with his family, got moved to Houston, then realized that while he had skills, he had no documents to show that he had them.  No certificates.  Nothing.

Under Workbook, you can see the list of documents he wishes he had taken with him.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

A guy who went through Katrina with his family, got moved to Houston, then realized that while he had skills, he had no documents to show that he had them.  No certificates.  Nothing.

Under Workbook, you can see the list of documents he wishes he had taken with him.

Are there really people out there that think they can get a new job (anywhere) without providing credentials.  I woudn't pack that information everywhere I went, every day, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to show up somewhere and expect to get a job without them either.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
Are there really people out there that think they can get a new job (anywhere) without providing credentials.  I woudn't pack that information everywhere I went, every day, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to show up somewhere and expect to get a job without them either.

Y'know, I don't think that my college diploma would be high on my list of things I'd think to grab while I'm evacuating somewhere.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
Y'know, I don't think that my college diploma would be high on my list of things I'd think to grab while I'm evacuating somewhere.

If you weren't planning on coming back for a while and were going to look for work abroad while you were gone, you might.  Even if you couldn't predict how long you were to be gone or needing to find work while you were gone, I don't remember the last time that I was in a job interview that turned in to a job where they asked to see a copy of my diploma. 

If you can't create a resume from memory, at a Kinko's using your credit card to pay for it, and prove to your future employer that you are who you say you are with picture I.D., then you have bigger problems than having to evacuate and running out of money.

What I am saying is that certain information needs to be stored at multiple secured locations, but few of them ever need to actually be on your person.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »
I will add Blood Donor & Organ Donor card
(in countries were applicable) (though some people have their reservations of carrying the latter everyday)

Over here it gets you priority (i.e. blood trasfusions) and free treatment in State hospitals.
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page