Author Topic: Freezing to kill pantry moths and other food storage pests  (Read 889 times)

Offline StephenInSC

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Freezing to kill pantry moths and other food storage pests
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Hey everyone, I been wondering how long you should freeze flour, rice, beans, etc. to kill pantry moths and other bugs. To be safe I have been freezing my preps for three weeks before storage due to my first food prep efforts becoming infested with pantry moths. Do any of you freeze for shorter or longer periods?

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Freezing to kill pantry moths and other food storage pests
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
I was told no less than 2 weeks.

I just retrieved my rice and sugar stores from a friend's house where he graciously stored them in his chest freezer for 2 months for me. Only reason they were frozen for so long is because my friend and I were unable to connect for that long. We met at a Mexian restraurant on Monday night and I treated him. ;) After dinner, we transferred the goods into my car's trunk. 8)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
If you're using standard Ziploc-type freezer bags, you may want to double-bag to protect against rips.

You can probably guess how I learned this. 8)

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
I brought home flour bugs (pantry moths?) from a 25 pound sack of flour from CostCo.  No more CostCo flour, just 5 pound bags from my local store and freeze for about a month.
z

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
I was told 2-3 days was good enough, but reading some of the posts that may not be long enough.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.