Author Topic: WOOT! Snow is falling.  (Read 608 times)

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
WOOT! Snow is falling.
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
So now I can find the game trails around the house and start snaring rabbits!
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: WOOT! Snow is falling.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
I'm so jealous!

We're literally 70F outside right now.  They're forecasting a cold spell of (smirk) mid-50s this weekend.

I know it sounds like heaven, but it's just plain boring.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
Man if your waiting for the snow your cheating , LOL
Good luck .

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
Not a hunter myself (at this time ;) ). But I clicked on this thread to see why ANYONE would be excited about the Dreaded White Stuff.

And then it struck me: it is the goal of just about every prepper to be able to laugh in the face of anything that comes their way. And I am just so totally not there yet. As for the arrival of the Evil White Stuff from On High, that event is a near-univeral bane to the existence of most adults in the American northern regions, myself included. But my real hope (goal/hope/aspiration) is to one day secure a lifestyle --somewhere in the more hilly parts of Vermont-- where I can laugh at the falling of snow and not be bothered by it in the least.

One day.

I too want to say "WOOT!" at the falling of snow. (One day.)

Glad you're there, dude.
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
 :clap:  yay for you!  I so love the snow!  So much fun to be had.  Miss the kids being at home we always would all stay home for a good snow fall and play outside all day.  Enjoy!
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
I'd be happy with any kind of precip at this point.  It's freakin' December and we've had snow on the ground twice (once in October, once in early November) and it's all been melted for weeks.  A few days ago we had a red flag warning (extreme potential for rapid wildfire spread) and fire near Estes Park went from 1,500 acres to over 3,800 acres overnight (it took six weeks to grow to 1,500 acres).

If we don't get some serious snow soon we're going to be in very big trouble next summer for both water and wildfires.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
So sorry to hear that endurance would be more than happy to send you some of our rain.  I know snow would be good for spring melt.  We don't get that much snow.  Oh the rain.  It sure is getting mucky here.
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »
... Oh the rain.  It sure is getting mucky here.
Our soil is very sandy here, so mucky isn't a problem.  Bring it on! 

There's a chance of snow tonight.  Just a couple inches would be very welcome at this stage (and allow me to use the fireplace without fear of an ember getting out of the chimney causing a disaster).
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
I am pretty sure I remember it snowing here before. Surely it has, sometime in the last few years.  ;)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?