Photobucket

Author Topic: camo BOB vs non camo BOB?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline lukeaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
camo BOB vs non camo BOB?
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
I've heard before somewhere that using a camouflage bob is not preferable, stating that your more of a target with it than having a regular backpacking bob.
But I feel in a SHTF scenario it wouldn't matter, every one is a posable target for their supplies. You would want to be more hidden from view and a camouflage bag would be better served. Any thoughts on this?
And if this has been discussed before sorry, couldn't find it.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: camo BOB vs non camo BOB?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »
I've heard before somewhere that using a camouflage bob is not preferable, stating that your more of a target with it than having a regular backpacking bob.
But I feel in a SHTF scenario it wouldn't matter, every one is a posable target for their supplies. You would want to be more hidden from view and a camouflage bag would be better served. Any thoughts on this?
And if this has been discussed before sorry, couldn't find it.

It has been argued back and forth, many times, on this forum in debates that get almost as heated as the 9mm vs. .45 discussions.

My perspective is mixed.  I don't think it matters.  If it's a big deal, then go down to your fabric store, buy a couple yards of your favorite non-descript, "grey-man" color, sew a tunnel around the perimeter, thread a bit of 550 cord through it and voila!  Instant, low-profile, non-camo pack cover.

If you really believe that someone is going to target you for looking "tactical,"  then go down to your favorite hippie store and buy a half dozen peace symbol patches, free-the-weed patches and maybe even an anti-gun patch and sew them to your cover. Walk around and give everyone the "peace" sign, make them feel all warm and fuzzy, post-apocalyptica.  That should protect you from anyone who's looking to steal stuff after a disaster strikes. . .after all, no one would attack a peace-loving, pot-smoking hippie who hates guns, right?  (yeah, that's supposed to be sarcastic).

Most will tell you to try and find something inbetween.

Our personal kits are all neutral-color, military-style packs.  These are usually either OD/ranger green or tan/coyote in colors.  This is the same way we dress. . .in neutral colors that blend into most environments.

I think it's more your clothing that will draw attention to you.  If you show up wearing a $400 expedition pack fresh from REI, looking brand-spanking-new, wearing your Tilley Hat, Oakley carbon-fiber sunglasses,  Patagonia shirt and Columbia "convertible" pants with a nice pair of Vasques. . .just as if you stepped out of your 2013 Range Rover, then I think you're going to draw a crap-ton of unwanted attention.

However, if your gear looks used, maybe even a bit dirty and is relatively low-profile, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.  A simple pack-cover can cover up a lot of camo for a few bucks.  Make it from sil-nylon, and you have a waterproof rain-cover, as well.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
I actually discussed it briefly in another thread, but this is a good topic to be on it's own. I thought camo was the way to go until the professor explained the same theory to me. But like he said, there will be arguments for having them and arguments for why you shouldn't. It's ultimately up to you and what you feel is best.

Now professor, what are you thoughts on a black bag?

-CHris
Members Brigade Supporter

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
I think we are ovelooking the solid colors dual functionality

granded Olive Drab and Tan have now been wasted (used by the military wanabbes) but Jerry Uniform Grey is still an open option
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I don't think if you have two people carrying the same exact pack, stuffed the exact same way that one person will be targeted because his or her pack is camo and the other one is not.  I think depending on the situation that people aren't really going to care what your pack looks like.

I think that if someone is going to target you, it's because you've done something to call attention to yourself, you used something that someone might need or said something about something you have, I agree with the professor, if you come out with a ton of highly priced items you are probably going to have a more dangerous time but I think it's how you go about yourself, how you carry yourself.

I think the size of the B.O.B matters more. I think you are more likely to become a target if you walk out with a 90lb pack with all sorts of add ons hanging off the sides, pink,blue,orange,black or camo I don't think the color matters, but, I could be completely wrong

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
As others have referenced, give me one good argument for using something other than camo and I'll give you one that is just as good an argument for camo.  I think most of these arguments depend on where you live and how you intend to use your bag and/or pack it around with you before SHTF.  After SHTF, the argument gets even easier IMO.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
My choice was based on cost not color.   I got a surplus ALICE pack from ebay.   I really don't think it is gonna matter all that much.  If your pack looks stuffed full of good stuff some bad guy wants, he isn't going to consider the color IMO.   For my girlfriend and her daughter, I have some smaller packs I've re-purposed from gear we weren't using.....one's red, the other pink camo :)

Sure, we can debate the psychology of it.  In a SHTF situation, what you have strapped to your hip is going to be more important than what you have strapped to your back in keeping a hold of what is yours.

That's my .02 take on it :)
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
I just got done travelling this past week and noticed a large number of people carrying "tactical" looking backpacks around the airport. I noticed because I was paying attention but I don't feel like they drew any special attention. It seems like that style is becoming more common place. And with that, of course, draw much less attention.  I think the guy in the nice pressed suit with luggage that matched his outfit drew more attention than any camo bags. To that end, I'm in agreement with The Professor.

On the flip side, I have a maxpedition bag I carry every day and have gotten comments about it. Almost always positive .. "Cool bag, where did you get it?" and the likes. So, people do notice.

Change the food supply chain with this mobile app that connects local growers and consumers efficiently and sustainably.

http://foodstand.gizmodirt.com

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
It's style, not color.

If you have an Osprey, I know there's good stuff in there. You blew $300 just on the pack. In the same way, if you have a Maxpedition or Kirafu - odds are there's likely some nice gear in that bag.

The more MOLLE and pouches you have strapped together, the more likely I am to think you have a bag full of weapons, tools and comms that are useful. You put a cuben fiber rain cover on it and that bag might be worth more than some cars I've owned.

An ALICE pack is a decent choice - they look old and outdated. Nothing "operator" about an ALICE pack.

Offline ib71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I really think camo pattern would not make a difference. When I pick up the kid at school a good number of kids have camo backpacks and some of the dads are wearing camo shorts hear in so Cal.

Offline lukeaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
thanks for all the feedback, Im probably going the way of camo and i like the professors idea of a cover.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »

Now professor, what are you thoughts on a black bag?

-CHris

Black bags are great, as long as they're not black.

Black offers absolutely no benefits unless it's absolutely dark outside.  Black does not blend into most environments very well, unless you're a ninja (and even ninjas  used more environmentally-appropriate camouflage during the daytime).

HOWEVER, if the type of pack you want is only offered in camo (for example, I had a Dana Designs (original) Terraplane OK which was made in 1000-Denier Cordura which, at the time, was only available in black), then you can still use the pack-cover concept to blend in.  Grey works extremely well.

The Professo
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.