Author Topic: 13skills.com banned on workplace computer  (Read 2363 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
13skills.com banned on workplace computer
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »
The site is catagorized as a weapons site, so I can't view it at work. (Which means it is also blocks it from the wireless network-can't view it on Iphone either) I could view it before it went "live". Is there any way to change what catagory it comes up as? (I have absolutely no idea how any of this works, just wondering why I could view it before and not now)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
Re: 13skills.com banned on workplace computer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
If you are willing to use your iPhone to view it, why don't you just go ahead and use your 4G connection (cell tower access) versus using your company wireless to access it?  That's what I do.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:47:12 AM »
It is blocked where I work as well.  I can see the first page, but none of the formatting or images.  I put in a request to open it up, but they classified it as Business/economic and they won't open the firewall to additional business/economic sites.

I think you will need to contact your firewall folks to get it approved.  There's probably an online form to request the change.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
If you are willing to use your iPhone to view it, why don't you just go ahead and use your 4G connection (cell tower access) versus using your company wireless to access it?  That's what I do.

That's what I will end up doing. I'm just always soooo close to the data limit because the iphone is all the internet I have at home, and it's nice to use the wireless at work to catch up on things. I asked the question because I was curious how it works, blocking sites for this or that reason. Since I can't come up with a legitimate reason to be on the site for work purposes, I'll just use the phone.

Offline Mr -A-

• Prepper
  • TSP MSB, PermaEthos #1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Whomever runs your company's network will have that site in their list already.
So most likely at this point it won't matter what "header" or "meta-data" changes 13skills.com will make,
it's already on the "naughty" list as far as your work's proxy / caching server goes.

If you can't talk to the sysadmins or network team to convince them to "white-list" this site,
you could try and go around the block with something called an online proxy, or anonymous proxy.
Just Google either of those terms.

Though a word of warning; if your company is big enough to setup a black-list proxy for their network,
they will most likely have an Internet Usage Policy, and using a anonymous proxy will most likely violate that policy.

I'd ask first, perhaps offer them cookies or pizza, sysadmins love food! :)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
I work for Nazi's. I'm not asking. :o

Offline philbert

• Prepper
  • Infrequent TSP Forum member
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
One of my customers' firewalls will 'read' any page from a site it doesn't know, and if certain words appear (such as "forum") it will classify it as non-work related automatically, and you have to make the case for access (for example, access to a technical forum you need to get the job done).

I wouldn't access something like 13skills from work anyway - you never know how some people might choose to interpret it!