Author Topic: My Tiny House  (Read 13186 times)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: My Tiny House
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »
Erigorn, the insulation's purpose is to prevent thermal bridging, and therefore condensation on the basement walls. The Rob Roy book I read was pretty adamant about using it. The basement still hovers around the 40-53 degree range, so I don't believe it really is that drastic. Also, it is one more barrier to water movement.

Good call.  Mold in a basement could condemn the entire structure.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
When it's all done it should still be under $10,000 and that includes spray-in foam insulation and casement windows.
A Tumblr blog sounds like a good idea, although I think TSP forum will work for what I'm doing.

Warning, Self-Serving Commentary to Follow...

Yes, please keep it here in the forums!  ;D

End Warning

Seriously though, you're speeding through this. The work is impressive. I can't wait to see more.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
Thanks for the answer on the foam. Looks like I need to do some more reading to get up to speed. Condensation and mold are obviously bad. Maybe I'll get the book you mentioned.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
great work!

really great to see this being created step by step
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Good call.  Mold in a basement could condemn the entire structure.

What basement? If he plays his cards right, nobody will have to know that there is a basement for this tiny home.

Okie, +1 for your progress pics. My wife and I are interested in a slightly bigger tiny home, and it helps to appreciate the 320 S.F. that we currently live in.  One good thing about using CMUs for your basement construction is that you could potentially expand your basement or connect it to another underground structure with minimal destruction.  You know which 10 columns are reinforced.

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Putting the upper parts on. Really glad I finished the rafters-the wind was really blowing everything around that day.
Note the pvc pipe on the south side. That is where the solar/wind power lines will be coming into the house.

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
The Rob Roy book I read was pretty adamant about using it.
Which Rob Roy book are you talking about? Also is this a pre-designed building, meaning you can get the plans somewhere, or did you design it yourself (and can we see the plans :) )

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
Which Rob Roy book are you talking about? Also is this a pre-designed building, meaning you can get the plans somewhere, or did you design it yourself (and can we see the plans :) )

My square footage is 107-it's the "Weller" by Tumbleweed Tiny houses.

I haven't seen the Weller on their website lately either, but it is featured in Jay's Tiny House book.

He already answered one question...now I'm off to see what Rob Roy has out.
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
Thanks, so much info filling my head I missed it >_<

I looked up the books by Rob but he has so many to choose from. Might be required reading the in the future as my 5 year plan is to get land and enough money to build on it :)

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
In case anyone else is trying to hunt down Rob Roy: http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com/booksandmedia.html
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »
@Okieboy, Not sure if i missed this but what did you do for your drainage around the perimeter of the basement? I know i saw the hole for the basement, but i didnt see where you put in a drainage pipe to slope the water away from the basement foundation. Even with all those precautions you seem to be taking - hydrostatic pressure is definetly a force to be reckoned with.
Life is full of many choices,
if you don't like your life,
make better choices.

http://www.harvestinggracefarm.com

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
@Okieboy, Not sure if i missed this but what did you do for your drainage around the perimeter of the basement? I know i saw the hole for the basement, but i didnt see where you put in a drainage pipe to slope the water away from the basement foundation. Even with all those precautions you seem to be taking - hydrostatic pressure is definetly a force to be reckoned with.

JC2, I ran drain tile all the way around the base of the basement, sloping from the back to the front and draining into gravel filled holes. Also, the drain tile has a fabric around it which is supposed to keep silt from infiltrating. Hope it works! Additionally, the Drylok water sealant  claims to keep your concrete dry up to a hydraulic head of 26 feet. Given that I applied two heavy coats on the outside/inside and more in the floor, I think it will work. The Quikwall is also an impermeable barrier, so  that's one more thing. It's been bone-dry so, although it never seems to rain anymore.....

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
JC2, I ran drain tile all the way around the base of the basement, sloping from the back to the front and draining into gravel filled holes. Also, the drain tile has a fabric around it which is supposed to keep silt from infiltrating. Hope it works! Additionally, the Drylok water sealant  claims to keep your concrete dry up to a hydraulic head of 26 feet. Given that I applied two heavy coats on the outside/inside and more in the floor, I think it will work. The Quikwall is also an impermeable barrier, so  that's one more thing. It's been bone-dry so, although it never seems to rain anymore.....
This is, to me, one of the key parts of the Tiny House movement that gets so often over-looked... yes, you lose a lot of the "economy of scale" you would get by buying large quantities of supplies, but since you're buying so much less you can afford to really upgrade and over-engineer things where it's important to you. If there's any question at all about getting a premium material or putting in a few extra features you can do it with only a handful of extra dollars.

On most Tiny House sites you read they do touch briefly on this, but mostly when it comes to expensive finishes or luxury items. Very rarely do they touch on engineering or structural issues.

When you're building a McMansion for sale to the public, it's really easy to trade out $5000 worth of structural modification that will probably go unnoticed anyway, especially when you're going to be putting that $5000 into a stone facade or granite counter-tops... things that will add to the market value and get the attention of most buyers. When the builder is doing that for himself he's probably not scrimping on those things, but his house is also more expensive.

When you take all that material and labor and divide it by 10, suddenly it seems a lot more worthwhile. Yes, I can see the value in putting another $500 into the structure as well as paying a few hundred extra for some cosmetic stuff.... You're not forced to constantly compromise, you've probably got enough resources to do both.  :P

Anyway, this is looking great... and I really like the fact that you're not building it on wheels... that part of most Tiny House blogs has really gotten on my nerves. I know it's a building code thing in most places, but the idea of dragging my house down the highway really takes away from what I think makes a house a home. I like that this one has a structure that's a part of the land.  ;D
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America (1835)

"I worry about the effects on the long-run stability and efficiency of our financial system if the Fed attempts to substitute its judgments for those of the market. Such a regime would only increase the unhealthy tendency of investors to pay more attention to rumors about policymakers' attitudes than to the economic fundamentals that by rights should determine the allocation of capital." - Ben Bernanke, "Asset-Price 'Bubbles' and Monetary Policy" (October 15, 2002) i.e., Debacle + Irony = FED

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
This is, to me, one of the key parts of the Tiny House movement that gets so often over-looked... yes, you lose a lot of the "economy of scale" you would get by buying large quantities of supplies, but since you're buying so much less you can afford to really upgrade and over-engineer things where it's important to you. If there's any question at all about getting a premium material or putting in a few extra features you can do it with only a handful of extra dollars.

On most Tiny House sites you read they do touch briefly on this, but mostly when it comes to expensive finishes or luxury items. Very rarely do they touch on engineering or structural issues.

When you're building a McMansion for sale to the public, it's really easy to trade out $5000 worth of structural modification that will probably go unnoticed anyway, especially when you're going to be putting that $5000 into a stone facade or granite counter-tops... things that will add to the market value and get the attention of most buyers. When the builder is doing that for himself he's probably not scrimping on those things, but his house is also more expensive.

When you take all that material and labor and divide it by 10, suddenly it seems a lot more worthwhile. Yes, I can see the value in putting another $500 into the structure as well as paying a few hundred extra for some cosmetic stuff.... You're not forced to constantly compromise, you've probably got enough resources to do both.  :P

Anyway, this is looking great... and I really like the fact that you're not building it on wheels... that part of most Tiny House blogs has really gotten on my nerves. I know it's a building code thing in most places, but the idea of dragging my house down the highway really takes away from what I think makes a house a home. I like that this one has a structure that's a part of the land.  ;D

Bingo! You get to put so much more effort and money into the right places doing it this way. There are so many details that you don't think about until you actually build yourself, but man, it's great! And you're right, it seems 90% of tiny houses are on wheels, this one's got freaking ROOTS!!

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
How's the house coming along?

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »
It's coming along nicely. I'll get some pics up soon and get ya'll updated-I'm actually pretty shocked at how well it's coming together.

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
Wow, I've been slacking on the documentation of this project. But I've been super busy making things happen.

More framing pics.

And the siding.

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Such a sweety. - TheBinkieHunter!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
this is looking great. thanks for the update!

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »
Looking good, Okie!

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
Looks great so far.  Can't wait to see some more progress.   
Yes, yes, I know.  "Stop by the intro thread and introduce yourself.".  I'm working on that post in my head and as soon as I figure out what I want to say, i'll do it.   (I want to make a good impression)

*wonders what the inflatable goat thing is all about*

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
Here, I had just added the 1/4'' osb. I know 1/4" is a bit thin, but considering how small-scale the whole project is and the fact that I liquid nailed and screwed it together still makes for a very sturdy structure. It wasn't easy gluing and screwing the osb into place by myself.

Side view. Note the cut out for the purlin on the upper right.

And here we've got the windows cut out. It was nice to finally see what the view was like!

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Such a sweety. - TheBinkieHunter!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »
are you going to leave the basement exposed like that or are you planning on back filling up to the base of the house?

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
Warrior,
I backfilled up to about 1' below the sill.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
 Too Cool!

I cant wait to see how this turns out. :popcorn:
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"
"Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."
Virgil's Aeneid, Book VI

Offline onesojourner

• Prepper
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
What are you going to use for insulation?

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
What are you going to use for insulation?

I was gung ho on getting spray-in foam insulation, but after getting a $1250 quote I decided to use blue board cut to size instead. I figure it's still foam, and honestly I am afraid the small size may make the house too airtight.  I'll go into detail on the whole process as soon as I can get caught up!

Offline onesojourner

• Prepper
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
I was gung ho on getting spray-in foam insulation, but after getting a $1250 quote I decided to use blue board cut to size instead. I figure it's still foam, and honestly I am afraid the small size may make the house too airtight.  I'll go into detail on the whole process as soon as I can get caught up!

Wow that does sound pretty high. I had my whole roof done and it was under 3k. I think you would be ok on the tightness front. Just going in and out would probably provide enough air exchange on that small of a space. I do like blue board and I wish I had done 2 inches of that in combination with the spray foam on the roof.

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »
Could use an air tight house to your advantage and run a earth tube to the house with a vent in the ceiling to provide free cooling / warming :)

Online OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
Getting the rafters in place was a major headache, as it was a balancing act and I had to watch out for the wind. The hardest part was cutting the bird's mouth to the proper dimensions (which I still have not mastered  ;)).

Gluing and screwing the roof sheathing into place. It may be a tiny house, but you don't want to fall!