Author Topic: Preplanning for my 13  (Read 2843 times)

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
Preplanning for my 13
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
I don't have time to do a blog, but wanted to start a once a month thread about my progress. This first installment will not be about any progress, just a status report on where I am now and what I need to do to be ready to take off with intensity in January 2013.

1Bushcrafting - this is a great time for me to be able to cover a lot of ground without all the undergrowth slowing me down. I need to check my hiking boots and socks, plus all other winter gear so I can be comfortable while I'm out there. I'd like to start taking the camera to catalog what I identify. Also need to prep a good reading list regarding bushcrafting in my region.

2Family Fun - dd is 14yo and won't be willing to do much with the family many more years. I want to include everyone. Perhaps some shooting events or camping. Shooting and kayaking will work well for events with spouse.
Need to plan at least one event per month.

3Firemaking - gather up the stuff for a big sit-down trial and error event in Jan.

4Cordage and Twining - need to review info and find out what I can access in this season, go get some and be ready to process and work in Jan.

5Fitness - I need a plan!!!

6Foraging - need a good reference book for my region and this season

7Marksmanship - go get more ammo!

8Archery - determine what exercises to increase arm strength to pull and throw (for bow and atlatl)

9Martial Arts - get sparring gear, get plan for practicing at home, test for green in May and blue in November

10Wildlife identification - get books to study tracks, find out how to learn about cries and calls, CD?

11Herbal remedies - get notebook, check resource books for what to harvest in December

12Making salves and balms - may combine this with #11, check with neighbor re: beeswax

13Writing - do one article per day - 10 for Dec.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
Re: Preplanning for my 13
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Now that I've had a day to think about it, I have come up with my list of things to buy to accomplish these goals:

ammo
more arrows
beeswax

So the honest truth is that cost is not an excuse for not getting these goals accomplished. I need to get these supplies in by the end of December.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
  • Infrequent TSP Forum member
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »
5Fitness - I need a plan!!!
Hi there, I was never a fitness oriented person (and definitely not a runner!) until last year I came across the "Couch to 5k" program.  It is focused on the complete novice, and very achievable.  If you need a little inspiration, check out this video (linked from that site)

Once I started running, I felt inspired to eat better, and started paleo.  From there, I felt so energised that I started weight training, and its amazing how much easier everyday tasks are (picking up boxes, chopping wood, etc) when you have a little more muscle mass!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:45 AM »
Couch to 5k certainly works. I did it a couple of years ago.  I stopped running for the Summer and never got back into it. 

If you go that route, do the version that cues you by time, not distance.  If you run and have to hit a certain pace, you can end up injuring yourself.  Run your own speed for the amount of time they say and you will get to a 5k.  It could take longer, but it should be injury free.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
  • Infrequent TSP Forum member
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:23:32 AM »
I agree about the audio - I found the Robert Ullrey podcasts (also linked on c25k.com) to be excellent - as well as having a calm and soothing voice, and good beats to run to, he also occasionally coaches some basic techniques (keep your arms low and loose) which was really helpful for me.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
That's the one that I did as well.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
My daughter and I started walking/running a month or so ago, but got out of the habit when it got terribly cold and rainy. Two quick questions about CP25K - how well does it work with hilly terrain and can you do it on a treadmill when the weather gets bad? I will go check out the site later today when I get time.

We have access to lots of great wooded trails, but we are in the foothills of the Appalachians, so even our "flat" ground has some slope to it, and the trails have a lot of hills. And when the weather is really wet, like it has been, I don't think it would be safe to be out there slipping and sliding around in that slimy clay mud. (Not to mention how much my laundry bill would go up!) We do have a junky old hand-me-down treadmill that a relative gave us, so we can run inside, but it just isn't the same.

Thanks!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
Yes, you can use it on a treadmill.  I did that for the first couple of weeks.  It can be used for any kind of terrain.  The main idea is you run for 30 seconds, then take a walk break for 30 seconds.  Repeat as directed.  The intervals change as the program progresses.

Funny, you stopped because it got cold and rainy.  I like running when it is cold and I don't really mind the rain.  I stopped running in June when it got hot and humid.

Also look into running on the forefoot.  It doesn't feel natural at first, but has less of an impact on the knees, at least that's what I experienced.  Key words would be barefoot running.  You don't have to run barefoot for this, but that's the "style"  You run mainly on the ball of your foot instead of having your heal strike.

And don't try to go too fast.  That will lead to injury.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:49:02 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
So I went off the deep end today and ordered a nice reference book for foraging in my region. My excuse is that I was very close to the $25 amount for the free shipping on Amazon (do they know how to work people like me, or what?). I knew that foraging was one of my 13, so I decided to splurge - a whole $14 bucks.

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
Did a little recon regarding my firemaking skill today. Dh and I were out cutting some old trees and downed limbs off a fenceline and I saw several dead black locust trees with very nice cracked cap polypore fungus (aka shelf molds in my region). The next time I go out there, I will start harvesting the shelf molds and store them for when I start working on my actual firemaking skills in January.

That stuff can hold a spark like nothing I've ever seen. I once almost caught my kitchen trashcan on fire with one that was cool to the touch and that I had doused in cold water! I will go into more detail (in case any others are working on the firestarting skill) in January.