Author Topic: Herew's 13 skills  (Read 739 times)

Offline Herew

• Survivor
Herew's 13 skills
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
The first skill i took on was a simple one. Making Butter!

Heavy whipping cream and a stand mixer is all you need!

After about ten minutes whipping on high speed, the cream starts to separate.

Butter!

Just needs a little ice water bath.

Finished product.

The tasty byproduct: Buttermilk!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:35:32 PM by Herew »
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” -Tolkien

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
Re: Herew's 13 skills
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
Good job! Some other things you can do are to try making it by hand, non-electric style. Or try making some of the flavored butters.

Every year I bake homemade rolls for our extended family Christmas dinner. I also make honey butter and strawberry butter to go with them. It is very easy. There are various recipes out there, but I just add honey to taste for the honey butter and strawberries from my garden and just a bit of powdered sugar to the other.

For us here at home, I also occasionally make a garlic butter for use on garlic bread with Italian dishes or chili.

If you scoured the thrift stores for those cool little crocks with the wire bails, you could give "artesan made" flavored butters as a Christmas gift. Add a loaf of homemade bread or some nice rolls and they'll love you forever!

Now that you have mastered making butter, what next? Perhaps stay in the dairy line and try your hand at cheesemaking? ;)
Seeking the best and most practical, whether primitive or modern

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
I don't think I'm brave enough to try cheese! I think the next thing I'll take on is some mead. I hear it's like golden nectar!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” -Tolkien

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
Oh, come on! Man does not live by wine alone, he needs some cheese to go with the crackers!!! ;D
Seeking the best and most practical, whether primitive or modern

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
so alyssa was making whipped cream for the homemade pies last night and we had it go to long. we didn't know what we were looking at so we tossed it and tried again. i feel like a dumb ass considering i went to culinary school. in my defense we never did anything entirely from scratch. lol. i feel cheated though because it would have been sugar butter!
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
Mead is brewing! Is that the right word? Anyway, it's in the closet, doing what it's supposed to do. I'll let you know how it turns out in two months, pictures to follow.