Author Topic: Use for trapping in SHTF  (Read 11643 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Use for trapping in SHTF
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
I have been slowly learning the art of trapping over the past year, and have developed the feeling that be able to run a trap line after the poop/blade collision would be a very good thing. Most people don't really eat off the trap line on a regular basis but I recently had a dish made with muskrat which was amazing. Also squirrels can be trapped, they are just not desirable for fur, as well as rabbits. The ability to pull fur out of the woods would obviously be beneficial, both financially either by selling or bartering, and as clothing option. Also the ability to control predators around your location.

But as I look around this site and others, I don't see very much mention of trapping. I have seen a little bit of talk about keeping a couple rat traps or some snare wire with your BOB, but not as a primary skill. So I just wanted to feel out everyone else and see where trapping lies in your preps, in your hobbies, or however it sits with you. Also, if they are some other trappers out there, maybe we could get a sub-board for it since hunting and fishing have their own. Also if you are prepping or trapping, what gear do you store, what kind of traps do you have etc.?

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Use for trapping in SHTF
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
It is something that I am learning.

I think of it as a great way to get game without having to fire a shot. Quiet is good.

Offline Marshman

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
Seeing as how you're in Kentucky have you looked up the Fur Taker's Association chapter in your area? They are a fantastic resource and are an excellent way for beginners to get started.
Trapping and prepping seem to go hand in hand but very few people seem to consider it, at least using modern equipment.
That being said, I've been trapping since I was a kid and that was longer ago than I care to think of.
A trapping subforum would be an interesting idea, at least it would pull together some of the random postings that have popped up occasionally.
If anyone is interested I could try and post some links to a few resources that would probably be useful for beginners.

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »
Trapping sucks, nobody should even do it, even if SHTF. 

Just move to the city and let the govt take care of you. Furs are overrated anyway. 8)

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
 About a year ago, I started messing with rat traps for squirrels. So far, they have worked GREAT. I just drill holes in them, attach to a tree with paracord, and bait with peanut butter.

I recently saw a Dave Canterbury video on using connibear traps. I haven't touched any since probably Jr High school when my dad stopped trapping, but I'm going to give them a try when I get the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXatSgXXxWA

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
Probably can't use them in the city. It's good they can't garden there either, I mean, it is the city.

Offline The Meat Trapper

• Prepper
  • A Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
    • The Meat Trapper
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
I'm a licensed trapper and do beaver removal work. Between hunting and trapping, I haven't bought red meat in over two years. Most people have no idea how much food is walking, swimming or flying by them daily.

Beaver, nutria, muskrat, squirrel, turtle and bobcat are all excellent to eat.

I like trapping because I can run dozens of sets at a time, whereas when I'm hunting I can only be in one place at a time. Here's a video of one check recently where I caught a couple beavers and a nice snapper in one morning: http://youtu.be/muwzKH0ute8

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
Nice vid. Love to see some good trapline pics.

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
    • The Emergent Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
The sub-forum is a great idea.  As you point out, there has not been a lot of discussion of trapping on this forum.  But I think that there are a handful of trappers out there, and it would be good to give us a venue.

I have run a trapline for 2 seasons so far, and have no intentions of giving it up.  I have been trapping for fur, but am interested in the meat too.  However, my schedule has yet to work out so that I could harvest both (I tend to check my traps in the morning and skin in the evening-- the meat always turned by then).  But meat harvest remains an important goal of mine (figuring out how to pressure can raccoon is in my 13 Skills list!).  For me, it's a hobby really; though, I would like to maybe expand and make a part time gig out of it.  That won't be happening anytime soon since most of my time is occupied wrangling a couple of toddlers.

As for trapping as a SHTF prep, that is an interesting question.  You might consider learning trap tuning and repair, and keeping some spare traps and trap parts around.  On my line, the stuff which gets used up from year to year are baits and lures.  So I would think that learning how to make your own would be a valuable skill if you want to trap long term without systems of support.  And that is a whole nother skill set.  Very cool indeed, but complex.  Some ingredients for lures or baits you might need to keep a stock of, like essential oils or preservative.  Other ingredients, like glands, can be harvested as needed.

You might check out a podcast by Clint Locklear (professional trapper and prepper, aka Wolfer Nation on this forum) called Survivalist Prepper (http://survivalistprepper.com).  He has a few episodes specifically about how trapping is a valuable skill to know as a prepper.   They're a good listen.  He also has a regular trapping podcast too (http://trappingradio.com/). 

I have to echo Marshman's suggestion that you plug in with a local trapping organization.  The people I met at the local chapter of my state trapping organization really got me off to a great start.  You might try to find a local cell of the United Trappers of Kentucky (http://www.kentuckytrappers.com/)-- they'll steer you right.

Offline Adam s

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:28:30 AM »
I personally believe trapping should be in everyone's preps, reason being you could set several traps, freeing up your time to be carrying out other duties. I definitely believe everyone should know how to do it. I'm in Australia and do a bit of trapping and I could set rabbit traps and know I will always at least catch one, also kangaroos are very easy to snare but unfortunately we are not allowed snares or many other traps just a select few thanks to our strict laws...

Offline Tex4k

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Been a trapper for many moons now, I keep a good supply of snare cable on hand and traps will last one week short of forever if taken care of. Trapping is a very good skill to have, a person will have a good working knowledge of the land and animals around them. As for as food, I'm gonna have to be a whole lot skinnier than I am today to start eating most of what's available out here in the deserts of west Texas.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
Tex4K, since you are a trapper, ... once I was told by another trapper and from a book we had to study when I was doing my summer survival course for SAR, that it takes 100 traps to feed a man full time. That was like fall traps, figure 4's and the like, not leg holds, neck snares that I recall.. in your opinion do you agree with that? That 100 traps is what it is required to feed 1 person due to maintaining the trapline, the k/cal of the meat, the odds of catching something and so forth...

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
Tex4K, since you are a trapper, ... once I was told by another trapper and from a book we had to study when I was doing my summer survival course for SAR, that it takes 100 traps to feed a man full time. That was like fall traps, figure 4's and the like, not leg holds, neck snares that I recall.. in your opinion do you agree with that? That 100 traps is what it is required to feed 1 person due to maintaining the trapline, the k/cal of the meat, the odds of catching something and so forth...

I would think it hard to come up with an average like that, given that skill level, trap styles, and animal density in a given area are all so relative to success vs. failure.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
I would think it hard to come up with an average like that, given that skill level, trap styles, and animal density in a given area are all so relative to success vs. failure.

That is why I was asking a third opinion  ;)
But I think most people think you can set a trap or two and feed yourself. I think probably the best ratio for feeding yourself is rat traps, and a squirrel log for catching squirrels. Providing there are squirrels in the area.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »
But I think most people think you can set a trap or two and feed yourself. I think probably the best ratio for feeding yourself is rat traps, and a squirrel log for catching squirrels. Providing there are squirrels in the area.

And another good reason to not limit yourself to one food gathering skill.  ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
And another good reason to not limit yourself to one food gathering skill.  ;)

Exactly..

Cedar

Offline Adam s

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:08 AM »

Cedar
Not sure how you trap rabbits in the states, but here in Australia you could set 1 rabbit trap and catch a rabbit with very little effort at all. And it can be down with very little skill no need for bedding traps properly just dig a hole in front of the burrow put the trap in and cover it.

Offline Tex4k

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »
I  think someone was just randomly picking numbers and may not have known much about the great outdoors. People have inhabited the earth for at least 2015 years, some of which were done without the amenities we enjoy now. A person from the heart of the concrete jungle dropped in the Canadian wilderness would likely starve if they had 1000 traps. It's more a matter developing a knowledge of recognizing and enterpreting sign and wildlife habits. It could very well take 100 dead falls and natural cordage snares, I have no working knowledge with these materials. I don't think I would need that many traps working to feed myself here, where I am very familiar with the wildlife and native plants.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »
Not sure how you trap rabbits in the states, but here in Australia you could set 1 rabbit trap and catch a rabbit with very little effort at all.

Can't you just walk and step on a rabbit there?  ;)

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
There's another thread running here on TSP discussing trapping.  One of the posts talked about how many coons he trapped. 

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49459.msg624304#lastPost

we would run 60-100 traps per day.  We would catch about 1 out of 3 traps, so 20 to 30 coons for 2 days hard work.  One day to set and one day to run.

If you don't mind eating coon, a person could certainly live on that for protein.  If you canned what you didn't eat fresh, you could sustain yourself through the leaner times when you weren't getting as many animals in the traps.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
If you don't mind eating coon, a person could certainly live on that for protein.  If you canned what you didn't eat fresh, you could sustain yourself through the leaner times when you weren't getting as many animals in the traps.

I could have tried one out last night. On my way to a fire callout, one was running down the middle of the road and wouldn't get off the road until I finally honked at it.

They tend to be really fatty and you have to parboil them first, before cooking.

Cedar

Offline Adam s

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Can't you just walk and step on a rabbit there?  ;)

Cedar
It has been done, in some places they are in plague proportions. We have an abundance of rabbits in Aus.