Photobucket

Author Topic: pilotless appliances  (Read 488 times)

Offline jljbtm

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
pilotless appliances
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Hey all I'm new here and want to say HI and come with a question that I have had for some time.
I have a house with newer appliances also called "Pilotless ignitions" used in my Furnace and oven and a hot water tank that uses a vent motor.
Well when the power is out of course these thing do not work and that's why I bought a generator many years ago. Well in the event of a major catastophy eventually the generator will run out of fuel.
All of these appliances are natural gas heating units that won't run with out fuel AND electricity. Kinda like guns without bullets?

Online RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: pilotless appliances
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
I'm not sure about the water heater, etc., but I would think you would be able to at least override the burners on the stovetop by just holding a flame to where the gas comes out of the burner.  Ther manuals don't say anything about overriding the ignition?

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
Of course it goes without sayin that if your generator runs out of gas, it won't matter that you can't light your furnace - the fan won't run.
Psalm 109:8

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
The gas control valve is also electric, so if you have no power but the gas is still on you will have no heat or hot water.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
Buddy of mine was a nat gas serviceman. IIRC he said the old systems are much more reliable with a thermocouple and pilot light.
Igniters don't last forever and the amount of gas you burn in a pilot light doesn't come close to the cost of a new one.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"