Author Topic: Episode 1040 Steve Harris Batteries part 2  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Shorty

• Prepper
Episode 1040 Steve Harris Batteries part 2
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »
Mr. Harris will be on Zello discussing his Batteries videos.
Time: 8E-9(10)E

Shorty
Backwoods Trooper
Zello Moderator
Water as life will only flow under the bridge once.
                                                                  Shorty

Member Support Brigade - Texas Battalion

Offline paprepper

• Prepper
  • Modern Surthrivalist, Moderator on TSPN Zello
Re: Episode 1040 Steve Harris Batteries part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »
Mr. Harris will be on Zello discussing his Batteries videos.
Time: 8E-9(10)E

Shorty
Backwoods Trooper
Zello Moderator

It was another good session!

Offline desertmarine

• Prepper
  • Certified Master Herbalist
    • My Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
Man I just finished watching the 3 videos.  Awesome information.  Loved the technical stuff and important points.  I am definitely adding one of this Mobile Battery Banks to my Pick-up.  I can think of over a dozen uses for it on our homestead, BIL, hunting and Camping and more.  The video were well worth the prices and then some.
USMC Desert Shield/Storm Veteran.  Currently homesteading in West Texas and Egypt. 
My personal blog:http://ainmusafarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
These two shows hit at the right time for me. Depending on finances, I'm trying to set up an expandable battery bank backup for one of my 13 in 13 challenges and the shows really cleared up a ton of questions for me about what I'd need and how things work.

The only thing that was really disappointing was the suggestion that I should buy all of the batteries at once for the best results. I was hoping to build in twos.

Thanks for the video review. I was thinking about getting those. I'm a very visual learner.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
The only thing that was really disappointing was the suggestion that I should buy all of the batteries at once for the best results. I was hoping to build in twos.

Don't feel bad, I just sprang for sixteen L16 (6 V, 500 AH) batteries for the solar system.

~TG

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
Don't feel bad, I just sprang for sixteen L16 (6 V, 500 AH) batteries for the solar system.

~TG

Ugh. What did that set you back?

When you wire those up, would you please take a picture?

I understand 2 six volts in a series to get 12 volts, and multiple 12 volts in parallel,  but it's a little hazy to me how to wire something like 4, 6 and 8 six volt batteries together for 12 volts.

Any help on that would be appreciated.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
About $6k delivered.  My system is 48 volts so these will be two parallel strings of 8 batteries each. 

These are wet cells.  Right now they are still sitting on a pallet and weigh 127 lbs each.

~TG

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
I also posted this on the blog for Steven but if someone can answer here - great.  :)

I’m sure that many of us have older chargers that don’t say “computer/microprocessor controlled”, rather just “fully automatic”, ref. mine is an Exide/NASCAR Select Mod 7067512. with 6v 12A manual,12v 2A & 12v 12A automatic selections & a little “% of discharge “meter. I’m sure the best thing would be get the newer ones ( 2 is 1, …) and the voltmeter but in the meantime – are those types safe to keep on the battery all the time?
Got to keep on keepin on

Offline Alex Shrugged

• Prepper
    • Alex Shrugged
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
I really appreciated Steven Harris sharing about what he is doing for his mother. My mother-in-law lives with us and I worry about what to do with her various medical devices running on electricity during an outage. Using an inverter on our car makes sense for the nebulizer (used to vaporize and deliver medicine to the lungs) since that doesn't run very long but now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering how many amps it draws. I'll have to check.

I'm also worried about the oxygen machine she uses at night. That's the bigger problem. It runs all night and draws oxygen from the air. That's good because I don't have to worry about stocking enough oxygen canisters (because how many is "enough" in a disaster?) but I'd like to be able to fill my own canisters using the same machine and run the machine during a disaster.

I'm going to look at the amps of these machines right now... OK... here are the numbers...

Inspiration Elite Nebulizer Model HS456 draws 2.0 amps.

Respironics Millennium 600 Oxygen Concentrator draws 4.8 amps.

It's difficult to tell how much the Oxygen concentrator produces because there are two numbers... 92 +/- 4% @ 5 LPM and 92 +/- 2% @ 2 LPM. I assume LPM is Liters Per Minute.

I have the meter than tracks watts and amps that Steven Harris recommended. I think I'll hook that up and take a reading.

Here is a link to the Oxygen Concentrator with the criticism that it draws too much power compared to more modern devices...

http://www.phc-online.com/Oxygen_Concentrator_p/respironics_m600.htm

Alex

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
I got the videos and they are great!!!   I can only stream them though, anyone able to get them to actually download?  I want them on a drive if power goes down and i need to review them via my bank. 

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
They are great. I've watched them twice already. I just hit the download button then 4 options came up. Mobile, SD,HD,and original file. I got the original ones and burned them to dvd to watch on the big screen.

I'm thinking of putting a board on big dolly that I have then installing everything on that. That way I can move it around where I need it. Then build a few blocks in the back of my truck to lock in down in the bed. Still in the very dangerous "planning" stage. My wallet hates that stage.  ;D

Offline shaunw8lftr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
I was able to save them to my computer.  dont ask me to explain t...but I have them and they are good.  Cant wait to put together a system for my self.  I priced gear today 200 bucks should set me up with a good start up system.

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
I was able to save them to my computer.  dont ask me to explain t...but I have them and they are good.  Cant wait to put together a system for my self.  I priced gear today 200 bucks should set me up with a good start up system.

Odd, maybe the download option hates my mac.  I'll have to try it on a pc at a friends house and see if that works.

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
They are great. I've watched them twice already. I just hit the download button then 4 options came up. Mobile, SD,HD,and original file. I got the original ones and burned them to dvd to watch on the big screen.

I'm thinking of putting a board on big dolly that I have then installing everything on that. That way I can move it around where I need it. Then build a few blocks in the back of my truck to lock in down in the bed. Still in the very dangerous "planning" stage. My wallet hates that stage.  ;D

All you did was click them?  Everytime i click them, it goes straight to the video playing.  I tried all formats.  Perhaps im ignorant, usually you click a download.....and it just "downloads".  Im not sure if i need some software to download this or not, my first time on vimeo. 

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Might try a different browser. Some handle clicking of files as opening instead of downloading different. Can't seem to find the setting in Chrome on what files are handled in what way. Say it's a mp3 file it will say save to this folder or open in browser.

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »
Figured it out, I had to right click the link in order to download it. 

Offline myridge

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
I found this to be one of the most interesting episodes and I put it to the test with 2 deep cycle batteries a 45w harbor freight set of panels and a use 2000W invertor I got on craigslist for $75 bucks,   Works great and now I am using it occasionally to run my 10" miter saw and my small compressor in the basement.   That 2000w Coleman inverter is awesome   

Offline SergeantP

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Texas Proud
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
OK I'm working on putting a battery bank in the back of my M109 Military truck.  The question I have is that the electrical system of the truck is 24v and I want a 12v battery bank so I can easily run 12v items in the back.  Is there a way to use the alternator off the truck, like in the video, to charge this system?  I was thinking about a 24v solar panel charge controller for charging a 12v system or I found a kit for placing a separate alternator on the engine.  Any ideas on what would work best and be the most dependable or economical?
Living the good life in Texas

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »
SergeantP, when you have a moment, please drop by The Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the other forum members.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
   You can build a 10 to 25 amp voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 14 v or so to charge the batteries from 24 v. It will require the voltage regulator, pass transistors,  heat sinks, and some 0.1 ohm resistors for each pass transistor. You can find the circuit in many ham books under power supplies. You just pick up after the rectifiers in the circuit. 73