Author Topic: Want to Learn to Hunt  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Erik the Red

• Prepper
  • When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES
Want to Learn to Hunt
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »
Hello Fellow TSPers.

I have never been hunting in my life, but would like to learn. Is there anyone here in Western WA state (or near-by)that would be willing to take me under their wing?

I am not an avid outdoorsman, but want to learn to provide for my family's food needs should the supermarket fail to provide. I don't really have any buddies here that hunt. I have no preconceptions -- no idea where I should start game-wise, rifle-wise. I don't really have a hunting rifle at this point. I have a 22, 5.56 and a personal defense shotgun.

I hope this is not too odd of a request, seeing as I probably don't know you from Adam. I thank you in advance for your consideration.

erik

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Re: Want to Learn to Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »
Need same in Minnesota.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:41 AM »
Well I am no where near either one of you, so a physical mentor-ship is not possible. But I would be glad to answer any questions I can to the extent of my knowledge. If you want to PM me and start a dialogue I would be willing to help guide you.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
I would first recommend taking a Hunters Safety Course.  Even if you think you know a lot about firearms and are safe when using them, things are a bit different out in woods that are crawling with other hunters, versus the range.  They also teach you a lot about local hunting laws and being an ethical hunter. 

These courses are also good resource to find a local community to build relationships in hunting.  And even though it is called a "Hunters Safety Course" doesn't mean they will only teach you safety.  Given that it is hosted by the right instructor, they will teach you tips on how to track, how to identify tracks and scat, how to field dress an animal, how to use your firearm or bow, how to use optics, and so on.

Other resources in finding a hunting community could include attending annual association banquets such as Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and many others.  These banquets are a lot of fun (I have won rifles on several occasions with a $20 raffle ticket) and anyone can go by simply paying a 1 year subscription to the association and buying a place at a table.  Don't wait though, tables fill up fast.  Your local gunshops that support hunting will often sponsor these events and will be able to get you places and dates.  You can also become a volunteer within these organizations which will offer a valuable resource to the organization while providing you an opportunity to meet people and actually go out in to the field and learn where the animals are.  The average citizen has no idea how much time and money these organizations put in to a local area to help preserve wildlife, the environment, youth support, etc.

You can use your local State Fish & Wildlife to learn about good areas to hunt.  For me, these guys have proven very helpful in lending information on where the high numbers of animals have been seen or not seen on any given year (which does change from time to time).  Your local LEO (Game Warden) can also be helpful.