Author Topic: Why I carry  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
Why I carry
« on: December 17, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
I carry a gun. It's what I choose to do. I obey the law and pay taxes. I handle and store my guns safely. I take training and practice often. I spend more on ammo than some people spend on gasoline. I own "assault weapons" and they do terrify paper targets (the smarmy steel targets don't seem that impressed, alas). They have never been stolen or poked holes in anything they shouldn't. I compete, hunt, recreate and teach others how to use firearms. My interest in firearms led me to be a reserve law enforcement officer for a couple of years. My nation trusts me enough to possess a security clearance and to command paratroopers in Iraq. I have had a concealed carry permit for a decade and in three different states.

I am not afraid my children will get my firearms. When they are not on my person they are in safes that are armored like tanks and still let me access my firearms in seconds. I teach my daughter gun safety and there is little mystery and romance to firearms in my house.

I do not fear crime. I consider it unlikely I will be a victim of violent crime during my lifetime. Though it is worth noting most calls I went to as a reserve LEO, the victims didn't think it would happen to them either. I am not afraid. I own guns because I like them and I carry them because I feel it prudent. It would be the height of irony for a firearms enthusiast to be shot down with his guns locked in a safe.

I am terrified though, of the thought that one day I will be present when someone threatens the lives of innocents and I will not have that firearm that I have trained and prepared with for so long. It will likely not be because the perpetrator took it from me or because I was lazy and didn't bring it. It will be because my government told me I couldn't have the gun in that location. If I live through it, I will have to deal with the knowledge that others may be dead, because I was a good citizen and obeyed the law. Guilt is a mother fucker.

You see, it's not about a guaranteed outcome, I and others could die even if I have my gun, but that is not the point and never has been. We are a country that cherishes equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. I don't ask to be protected with absolute certainty from the goblins of our society. Society can't provide that certitude and would become monstrous if it attempted to. I only ask for the ability to try.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Why I carry
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
+1 couldn't agree more
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
Gun = chance
No gun = no chance

I have always found a lot of benefit to the Armed Citizen section of NRA magazines. Stories of real people who stopped bad things from happening by having a firearm.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
Gun = chance
No gun = no chance

I have always found a lot of benefit to the Armed Citizen section of NRA magazines. Stories of real people who stopped bad things from happening by having a firearm.
Yep here's a story just in.
http://www.wral.com/intruder-killed-in-henderson-home-invasion/11885004/
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:17:16 AM »
Very well written and thank you. If you aren't aware Chemsoldier, I just saw this on elsewhere attributed to "a responsible gun owner".

edit to remove personal info
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:08:18 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
I carry because self-defense is a basic human right, period.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
Great post, Chemsoldier.

I will carry everywhere I go, mala prohibita be damned.  I will not live the rest of my life knowing I could have saved my family, if only I had disobeyed a silly misdemeanor law.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
AMEN!

I carry everywhere as well and for the same reason. I carry a full size Glock and spare ammo. Sometimes when I'm getting ready to walk out the door I think to myself.. Carrying all this stuff is a pain in the butt. I've been carrying concealed for about 13 years plus 10 years of military carry in the 90's and I've never so much as had a verbal confrontation with anyone. However, when I'm getting all my edc stuff together and putting it on and whining about it to myself.... I simply picture what could happen to me or my family if I should be confronted by someone who intends to harm me, my family, or the people around us. Then I sigh, and put on my gun and my extra ammo and head out the door.

These people who think we would all be better if the average citizen was not allowed to own / carry firearms are truly, truly deluded. Evil does exist. Monsters do roam the countryside and no law which prohibits violence against others or carrying of weapons by the citizenry will stop criminals who by their very nature do not obey laws. Indeed, the areas of our country in which the most violence occurrs tend to have the most restrictive gun laws (Chicago, New York, etc..). I believe gun ownership and carry is not only a right protected by our constitution, it is a responsibility we have to ourselves, our families, and our community.

And BTW... it's no coincidence that these mass murderers are selecting places which prohibit the possession / carry of weapons.
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »
+ 1 Chemsoldier

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

By OC it has sparked conversations about the laws in my area and feel I do my best to educate them to the best of my ability.

My kids see it, and are looking to get their own when of age. Daughter states she feels safer knowing my wife and I both carry, "it may take a police officer a little bit to get where we are. Until they get here you guys are here to protect us and anyone else around"

I carry every day despite my employere restrictions. Indiana has laws prohibiting employers from even asking about firearms if not visible. Again. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As things become more uncertain in the future with the economy, shrinking rights, more government involvement in our lives, I see more and more people becoming more desperate and doing more stupid things. In our area the police will no longer respond for minor burglary, harassment, vandalism, vehicle breakins, and the list goes on. For every one act they won't respond to it give the criminal element more courage to escalate it further as there are NO consequences, and THAT is exactly why I carry.

I OC as a visual deterrent. I never want to have to pull my firearm, and if seeing that I carry deters from a criminal act on my self, my family, or thoes around me. Then it did it's job without ever using.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Saber19

• Prepper
  • Native Homesteader
    • Native Homesteading Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
Agree with the whole thread.

My issue comes with jobs. Many companies won't allow their employees to carry weaponry into work and literally just a few days ago my job was robbed at multiple gunpoint. It is....infuriating.
"If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?" - Anonymous

Come check out my blog to read more about our work on the homestead and the journey to a more self sufficient nature! - http://nativehomesteading.blogspot.com/

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
Well said, I couldn't agree more. Having spent 12 years LEO I can assure you that there are way too many people out there that don't have you or your family or your neighbors best interest in mind. Along with that our founding fathers put the 2nd amendment in the constitution to help protect us from a government gone ferrel. Hence, it bothers me a great deal when I hear of rules ,legislation, fines and punishment that is intended to disarm us.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
I have a concealed weapons permit but rarely carry my firearm because of work and my child's school does not allow me to enter with them. I do carry a pocket knife and am an instructor in Kung Fu, Muay Thai and Krav Maga. At present I plan on becoming an NRA certified instructor.
Lookin' good and feelin' fine

Offline Joel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just an old peckerwood in the desert.
    • The Ultimate Answer to Kings ... is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
It's not just the danger of aggressive people.

I live far out in the high desert on a shoestring budget. Making it up as I go along is a standard practice, and I have had successes and failures; stories I'm proud of and stories I'm not. This is one of the latter.

One of my little rules is always carry your gun. Not because the environment is all that horribly dangerous most of the time, but because it can get dangerous on no notice at all.  This past February, on a day when my dogs were elsewhere and I'd spent some hours quietly reading indoors, a coyote made a very rare daylight visit to my chickens. I happened to step outside just in time to see her ducking behind my powershed. That time I was carrying my pistol, splash one coyote, problem solved. But that's not the story I want to tell.

Several miles away there's an insufferable SOB who runs a pit bull puppy mill. His dogs are always getting away from him and causing trouble. They are known to be dangerous when they form wandering packs. One day I went to visit the house of a weekender neighbor a mile or so away, (I watch her property and she lets me use her refrigerator,) and found three of the critters lounging around on the porch. They were miles away from where they belonged. I had my dogs in my Jeep, and they went crazy. Since I'd just been hanging around my own cabin and was only taking this quick trip near home, I was not armed. The three strange dogs rabbited and by the time I came back with a shotgun they were gone over rocks and I couldn't track them.

I didn't feel too bad about it at the time, to tell the truth, because I'm a softy and wasn't enthusiastic about shooting them in the first place. But imagine how I felt three days later when the jungle telegraph spread the word that another neighbor, who lives a lot closer to the puppy mill, was trapped in his car by a pack of nine dogs and so had a ringside seat while they mauled one of his cattle. He was unarmed too; had to wait for rescue and later had to put the cow down.

Were "my" three dogs in that marauding pack? Probably. Would my neighbor's problems have been prevented or mitigated if I'd been prepared to do the right thing when my own situation occurred? Possibly. I'll never know.

I always carry my gun now. I'm sitting in my living room right now, with a perfectly good rifle on the wall, and I'm carrying my pistol anyway. If I'm wearing pants, I'm carrying a gun.
Just another freedomista blog - The ultimate answer to kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

A Solar Electric System On the Cheap, On the Fly, and Off the Grid! - An Adventure in Self-Reliance and Creative Poverty

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »
Why do I carry a gun?  Because they haven't invented anything better to carry yet.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
Because when you need a  gun it is the only thing that will do the job, and you need it RIGHT NOW!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »
Z carries open and concealed and is legal to do both. He has taken more classes than most LEO, as he tends to go overboard on most things he does. The reason he carries is that he has been held up and robbed at gunpoint in NM not once, but twice, and he sad it is really disconcerning with a gun stuck in your face.

Both he and my cop friends are encouraging me to get my CL.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
I have a concealed weapons permit but rarely carry my firearm because of work and my child's school does not allow me to enter with them. I do carry a pocket knife and am an instructor in Kung Fu, Muay Thai and Krav Maga. At present I plan on becoming an NRA certified instructor.

Does your state have a law protecting your right to have a firearm in the vehicle? I can carry to and from work, just not in the actual building (although I don't think my employer is allowed to ask if i'm carrying or search me). Same with schools, as long as you are there to pick up a child, not working there, and it is left secured in your vehicle.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
CHL holders who are carrying in TX are required to identify when they encounter LE.  When I discover a holder who's not carrying, I typically challenge them.  I ask why the hell they are unarmed. I remind them we can't be everywhere, and they could be the difference between a dead or scared-off psycho and a bloodbath.  I bring up their training, and that by accepting a CHL, they also accepted the grave responsibility to protect themselves and others when no one else can or will.  I usually close by asking if they joined a legal defense organization (credit Jack's interview with Mr. Ayoob) in case they do find themselves wrapped up in a critical incident.

I don't see daily carriers as cowboys or paranoid nut-jobs, I see them as people who are willing to take responsibility (and consequences) for the safety of their fellow man. 

+1 to all of you sheepdogs out there, whether you wear a badge or not...
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »
Does your state have a law protecting your right to have a firearm in the vehicle? I can carry to and from work, just not in the actual building (although I don't think my employer is allowed to ask if i'm carrying or search me). Same with schools, as long as you are there to pick up a child, not working there, and it is left secured in your vehicle.

I recently ordered a portable gun safe for my car called the Nano 200 so I could leave it in my car.
Lookin' good and feelin' fine

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
+1 OP

One thing that bugs me is even in areas where concealed carry is legal, they have cutouts for bars, restaurants, government buildings...the list goes on and on...

It seems though like the majority of the places that they outlaw CCW are the types of places that would have the highest likelihood of needing them.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
One podcast I sometimes listen to says "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
Z carries open and concealed and is legal to do both. He has taken more classes than most LEO, as he tends to go overboard on most things he does. The reason he carries is that he has been held up and robbed at gunpoint in NM not once, but twice, andhe sad it is really disconcerning with a gun stuck in your face.

Both he and my cop friends are encouraging me to get my CL.

Cedar

LOL - a bit of an understatement?

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
    • Safety Solutions Academy
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
Great post leading to a good thread.  I am pretty lucky in that I have been legally able to carry a gun for the past 13 years and I have done so almost daily since.  I know there are reasons why people don't carry from legal restrictions and all kinds of other challenges, BUT what amazes me is the number of people who don't have restrictions and don't carry...

Here are some thoughts I put into a video a while back and thought I would share.

http://www.safetysolutionsacademy.com/why-carry-concealed/
Safety Solutions Academy, LLC
http://www.safetysolutionsacademy.com/combat-focus-shooting/
Reality Based Training, Unarmed Combat, Sharp and Impact Weapons, Ohio CCW, Advanced Firearms Instruction, Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun
Saving lives through information, education and training.
www.Warrior-Summit.com
16 hours, 4 instructors, 2 days, 1 goal:  To help you DOMINATE a violent encounter.

Offline rotrhed

• Prepper
  • Just Some Guy
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
Nice thread.

+1 couldn't agree more

LIES! You can too agree more!

I heard it stated, not too long ago, that while martial arts are excellent (I'm preparing for my shodan grading in October), they require "up close and personal"... and even then, they are not 100% effective against a firearm-wielding aggressor.

Thankfully, my daughter's school (in KY) cannot disarm.. KY Statutes permit you to remain armed while you are entering the school, provided that you are only going to pick up your child and then leaving.

Personally, I wish we would do away with any disarmament laws...  It's been seen, time and again, that with an increased prevalence of firearms, less firearms crime takes place - because of a fear of retaliation by an armed "victim."

My issue comes with jobs. Many companies won't allow their employees to carry weaponry into work and literally just a few days ago my job was robbed at multiple gunpoint. It is....infuriating.

I think it was Kansas who passed a law not too long ago - prohibiting the prohibition (ha!) of firearms in government buildings, unless the property was effectively secured, i.e. armed guards, metal detectors, etc etc...  I'm completely okay with this. If an entity is willing to guarantee my safety, I'm okay with disarming... but if they aren't, or cannot, why the hell would you make me take my firearm away?

I actually had this discussion in the bank, yesterday morning, with the bank manager...  I was armed, despite the door having the "no guns allowed" signage.  I told her I would be calling corporate, and voicing my displeasure, since they were effectively stating their intention to remove my ability to protect myself.  She claimed to be a CHL holder as well, and said.. "But, you see, we don't know how good of a shot a concealed handgun license holder is, and if someone draws a pistol and uses it, they could miss."

She really did not like my response... "You evidently took a class somewhere other than in Ohio or Kentucky, then - because as a requirement for your permit, you have to fire a series of 50 rounds to prove you can put your shot where you intend to."

5/3 is about to lose my business, if this baloney doesn't stop, and PDQ!

Offline mithgar50

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
Why I carry is easy.  I don't trust people anymore to do the right thing.  I work with people as customers 5, 6 and sometimes even 7 days a week being a retail manager and they are just mean now.  I see "grandmas" who look completely innocent turn into screaming crazies when they don't get their way in the store over little things like using more coupons than policy allows.  If these types are able to be like that then why should I trust a man or woman I don't know walking down the street or standing in line beside me.  It takes so little to set most people off these days that I prefer to be prepared and not a victim when "not if" someone in range of me goes crazy these days.  Obviously I hope nothing ever happens and would not use a gun unless it is a last resort but it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Offline Rangeboss

• Prepper
  • MSB member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
Great thread. I have carried for 28 years for all the reasons listed. In recent years I have added a compact shotgun in both primary vehicles.
www.beginningshooters.com
A podcast for new shooters and people returning to the shooting sports.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
One podcast I sometimes listen to says "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."

Exactly! If I had armed guards everywhere I went, I would not have to carry. I would anyway, but that is because I don't want to be dependent upon anyone else for my final security.

CHL holders who are carrying in TX are required to identify when they encounter LE.  When I discover a holder who's not carrying, I typically challenge them.  I ask why the hell they are unarmed. I

This is why Texas is awesome.

I carry because I know there are situations where one or more people may threaten my life or the life of someone I love. I am middle 40's and cannot stand toe to toe with anyone reasonably in shape. I was last in a fight in junior high school. Since I am not going to get any younger, am not signed up for boxing lessons yet, and cannot guarantee there is only going to be one person, I need a tool to even the odds of me not getting killed. Until they assign me a cop, I am carrying a gun. Period.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein