Author Topic: My progress at my 13 skills  (Read 2273 times)

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
My progress at my 13 skills
« on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
One of my skills was to improve my marksmanship. I started shooting high power competitions in July. My goal for 2013 is to shoot master scores. At the local match yesterday I shot a 686 out of 800 possible points. That's a 1% improvement from the last match. If I hadn't miscounted the rounds in my magazine I would have done better in sitting rapid fire. But I was distracted and was short 2 rounds. I know I have a long way to go but I'm glad to see an improvement.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:37:47 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: My progress at my 13 skills
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
There's a vintage military rifle shoot this Sunday and I can't decide whether to shoot my old k31 Swiss rifle or use my high power match rifle for practice and not really be counted in the competition. Any opinions?  Also will be going to a small bore rifle match Saturday 

Offline padre35

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

Those k31's are NICE.

Literally you could not buy a new rifle, with that much craftsmanship, for less than 1,000 dollars.

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
It is a lot of fun to shoot and I really wish they made a modern straight pull bolt action because they are so quick and smooth.

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
Had to work yesterday and didn't make it to the small bore match. Didn't feel that great today so didn't go to the military rifle match either. Next up will be another high power match it two weeks. Plenty of time to work on my reloads for it. Looking for molds to start casting bullets for black powder shooting. Don't really want to buy new so watching Craigslist and putting the word out.

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Reloaded a few hundred rounds of 223 Saturday. I shot at a high power match Sunday morning and broke 700 for the first time. I shot a 717 and this would be an expert score so I'm very happy with that accomplishment. That master score is getting closer all the time as I continue to adjust my reloads and learn more. I also went to an action pistol match that afternoon and it was great. I may have to go to more of these because they are so much fun. Gathering lead to start learning to cast bullets for my black powder rifle.

Offline Prep pal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, at what distance?
Are you shooting iro sights or scope?
If scoped, is there a limit to the power usable in competition?

I ask cuz I am thinking of getting into competitive shooting .

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
We are shooting with iron sights. I think there are matches where you can use scopes and are in what I think they call f class. I'd like to go to one of them but there aren't any around here. We are shooting at 100 and 200 yard matches. The targets get smaller at each position so at 100 yard prone slow fire the target is the same as it would appear at 600 yards. I would really recommend getting into the shooting sports. In my experience the people are some of the most friendly and helpful that you'll meet anywhere.  It's so much fun