Author Topic: Will LDS/Mormons Be Targeted for Their Preps?  (Read 80360 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Will LDS/Mormons Be Targeted for Their Preps?
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »
We all know that LDS (aka "Mormon") folks are told to have food preps and many do.

I saw this on another thread and it made me think:

I have talked to my [brother in law] about prepping a little ..... He does nothing to prepare..... He has commented about how there is a Moron that lives across the street and if it got bad he would go over there and take food for his son.....

I wonder if lots of grasshoppers have this idea about robbing Mormons. 

What do you LDS folks think?  (I'm not LDS so I need to ask you.)

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Will LDS/Mormons Be Targeted for Their Preps?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
I am an idiot! MORON?!?!? Mormon! I am sorry if i offended anyone.... i am the moron! Thanks for this post Heavy G

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
yeah i was pretty disgusted with hearing him say that >:(

tallfoo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
I think if theaccidentalsurvivor survives a comment like that with only -1 Karma point then he is truly lucky...

Before I starting researching survivalism, I had no idea that the LDS community had a tradition of storing up food supplies.  So I doubt that many sheeple will know that either.  However, if the Mormon church starts giving out food to the masses, then people will catch on really quickly.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
why would i get negative karma?

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »
I have no doubt that the Mormon community will become targets. As will many of us.
But them especially since they have a long history of preparedness.
I pray our Mormon friends will remain safe.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
I think if theaccidentalsurvivor survives a comment like that with only -1 Karma point then he is truly lucky...

Before I starting researching survivalism, I had no idea that the LDS community had a tradition of storing up food supplies.  So I doubt that many sheeple will know that either.  However, if the Mormon church starts giving out food to the masses, then people will catch on really quickly.
Caveat: I am not a Mormon but I did study with the LDS in my adolescence. If a church member would like to speak up or correct anything I set down here by all means do so as I mean to inform not offend.

First a few lines of scripture:
The Church and its members are commanded by the Lord to be self-reliant and independent D&C 78:13-14.

I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear D&C 38:30.

Now from “If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear” by Elder L. Tom Perry Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Fourth, acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. Obtain clothing and build a savings account on a sensible, well-planned basis that can serve well in times of emergency. As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year’s supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness.

There is a nice collection of scripture and description of why the LDS church charges their flock with preparing for a time of trials.

I for one hope that they are not targeted as that would be awful. Unfortunately I am also a realist and believe that morals do not fill an empty stomach and if a person is truly starving their right-wring barometer breaks. While I value what LDS bloggers are doing to get people informed, I fear there could be negative ramifications. Then again the same could be said about Jack and other preparedness bloggers, they stick their neck out so that we learn and grow wise.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
I cant agree more..... The sad thing is, not only will the homes be ransacked, but I do believe ignorant people will think stockpiles of food are inside Mormon temples..... Now whether this is true or not, how far of a leap do you have to make for a starving person to come to that conclusion? Not much.....

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
I am an idiot! MORON?!?!? Mormon! I am sorry if i offended anyone.... i am the moron! Thanks for this post Heavy G
i had to read this posts about ten times before I got it.   :-\ ... :D

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
They have shotguns on their prep list.  I have a friend that is a Mormon, (I almost did it....have a glitch now THANKS) and they are certain that there are groups, like the black panthers, that are aware of their stores of food and supplies.  They have specific instructions for hiding food in more than one place.  Specifically, you dig a hole in the middle of the night, put your cache in, throw the dirt back in, and make sure you put the grass back exactly as you found it.  I think they would have to feel like a target to go to that much trouble.  I have learned a lot from them. I don't think they would be a particularly EASY target though.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »

I think they would have to feel like a target to go to that much trouble.  ... I don't think they would be a particularly EASY target though.

True, but I worry about yahoos who just assume a Mormon family in the neighborhood must have food so let's just go get it. 

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Mormons come from, & are still well aware of the long history of persecution they've suffered for their beliefs.

I'm guessing that active members of temple won't be such easy targets.  That doesn't mean that they won't be targeted but I've known a few, & I'm guessing that when something bad happens their first acts are going to revolve around gathering their community together & working the plans they already have in place.

IMO, Mormons are far ahead of the preparedness curve than the rest of us.  They have a built in preparedness community that meets every week (at Temple) & they're already well acquainted with the people they're going to band together with.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »
Most of my in-laws are LDS, and in my experience the percentage of them that are prepared is representative of the general populace. On the other hand, the church itself has a staggering quantity of stored food in various locations that would be handed out in times of need. I imagine that the act of giving out the food could be their undoing as it would make everyone aware of what is there.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »
I've had the pleasure of working for, with, and being friends with several Mormons.  If I even suspected that they were being targeted for thier religous beliefs or preparations, I'd defend them at the drop of a hat, period. 

Problem is, the 'have-nots cause they didn't get off of there dead ass cause they were too busy eating curly fries and playing video games' are a threat to all that do the right thing and prepare, not just LDS. 

If it came to those desperate times, if you and yours even look like you have food, or anything else of value, you will have to defend it against these scum bags.  Broad brush I know, but I have no patience for folks that don't take care of them selves.  And before anyone sends me the 'not everyone is as lucky as I am' lines, save it.  Even the poorest can save and have resources to help them out.  It's the lazy bastards that I have a huge problem with. 

OK, so I'm feeling surley today, I'll be better tomorrow, promise :-\

Berserker Prime

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
Yup they will, and anyone else too. I know of a group here who has made it a point to know where Mormon families live in case TSHTF. Anyone who thinks that Opsec is for paranoid Tinfoil hat guys should consider it. I dont think it will happen unless people are actually starving here in the U.S. but it wont take many nights without dinner before people start getting brave and stupid.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
Most of my in-laws are LDS, and in my experience the percentage of them that are prepared is representative of the general populace. On the other hand, the church itself has a staggering quantity of stored food in various locations that would be handed out in times of need. I imagine that the act of giving out the food could be their undoing as it would make everyone aware of what is there.

I saw an LDS seminar online that claimed they have food for 4% of their members. No way to verify that, but it's not encouraging...

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
I grew up in the church.  Technically, I'm still a Mormon, but I'm not active.

Since it's been nearly a decade since I was even anywhere near a church, I can offer only a few tiny bits of information here.

First: Mormons don't have a non-aggression clause anywhere in their written works that I've ever seen or been taught about.  I know that when I was growing up every single family that we spent time with (even the kind you saw once-in-a-blue-moon at a bbq party) taught self-defense and protection to their children.  The boys always had guns, and bows & arrows, and slingshots.  A lot of the boys went hunting with their fathers, and when young adults go on a mission, they learn to adapt to a new place, often a new language, and a new culture without a vehicle.  A lot of Mormons grow up in a world that outsiders don't really grok.  They're insulated from the rest of the world.  So any judgments about what they might do in a survival situation are not really valid.  For them, EVERYTHING is a survival situation.  The life they are taught to live is a sustainable one that should not change at all, regardless of how the world outside of their door changes.  The first time I heard, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6," it was from a Mormon family member.  If some of them don't live the life they're taught to live - well.. that's what makes a Jack Mormon.  They're Mormon in everything but action.  There are people like that in every religion, and in every organization on Earth. 

So anyway... if somebody shows up at the door of a well prepared Mormon family, trying to force their way into a home where there are several (and there are always several) children who need to be protected, I would be far more surprised to hear that the father did NOT do away with the attacker.  Chances are far greater that he'd do away with the attacker, hold a blessing for the children who were present at the shooting, have the priesthood over to talk over what happened, invite the relief society over to make an early breakfast for everybody, and forgive the attacker - ALL before the police showed up.  They're efficient, loving, hardy people who adore their families.

They're also very giving.  They're the most giving people on Earth as far as I'm concerned.  But I hardly believe that they got to where they are today with their massive stores of foods and grains by allowing the population of hungry Americans walk all over them.  Were they drained when Hurricane Katrina happened?  No.  What about when 9/11 happened?  Nope.  The church will not be hurt by hungry, desperate folk who feel as though "the Lord will provide" and who don't feel that they need to do anything other than show up in order to be fed.  The church is very, very well protected.  And for the record - as far as I know, the temple is a place of worship and ritual.  Food stores are kept in the Bishop's Storehouse, which is an entirely separate facility.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:31:56 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 08:32:38 AM »
Wow.  Good info, Sister Wolf.

I think Mormons will need to defend themselves (as you describe) far more frequently than non-Mormons. 

After SHTF, I fear that when a few Mormons justifiably lay out the badguys, the authorities will say that Mormons are "magnets for violence."  You know: they prepared for hard times and totally worthless grasshoppers tried to steal their stuff--making the people who got off their asses "magnets for violence."  This will lead to tension between Mormons and the authorities.

I think the governmet will not exactly be tolerant of Mormons.  I'm not saying a big roundup or anything approaching the tinfoil hat brigade.  I'm just saying that the authorities might view Mormons as sources of trouble when the rest of the community would rather they not be around.  Kind of like the Crown Heights tension in the 1990s in NY between Jews defending themselves and the cops; the cops were controlled by politicians trying to make blacks happy.  (There are historic examples of blacks defending themselves against the authorities run by other races so this isn't a race thing.) Adding to the tension against Mormons, at least in my area (extreme Left Coast) it's fair to say there is a slight Christophobic bent by many (not all) government people; this will add to the tension.

But from what Sister Wolf describes, Mormons are used to being disliked and are, by and large, prepared for it. 

I hope we never need to find out if this is true.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:50 AM »
Wow.  Good info, Sister Wolf.

I think Mormons will need to defend themselves (as you describe) far more frequently than non-Mormons. 

After SHTF, I fear that when a few Mormons justifiably lay out the badguys, the authorities will say that Mormons are "magnets for violence."  You know: they prepared for hard times and totally worthless grasshoppers tried to steal their stuff--making the people who got off their asses "magnets for violence."  This will lead to tension between Mormons and the authorities.

I think the governmet will not exactly be tolerant of Mormons.  I'm not saying a big roundup or anything approaching the tinfoil hat brigade.  I'm just saying that the authorities might view Mormons as sources of trouble when the rest of the community would rather they not be around.  Kind of like the Crown Heights tension in the 1990s in NY between Jews defending themselves and the cops; the cops were controlled by politicians trying to make blacks happy.  (There are historic examples of blacks defending themselves against the authorities run by other races so this isn't a race thing.) Adding to the tension against Mormons, at least in my area (extreme Left Coast) it's fair to say there is a slight Christophobic bent by many (not all) government people; this will add to the tension.

But from what Sister Wolf describes, Mormons are used to being disliked and are, by and large, prepared for it. 

I hope we never need to find out if this is true.

Might create a situation like the "Bubba" effect that Beck talked about a couple of weeks ago.  Mormons prosicuted for defending what is theres because the Fed or State prosicutes them for actions taken while defending there property.  Not a far cry from the Texas scenario....

BP

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »
Thanks for the info Sister Wolf!

I have to agree with you too Heavy G..... Peoples of any specific group are going to be targeted by other groups in a SHTF scenario. Watching how people react when a hurricane is approaching, I can hardly imagine what will happen if there is a significant disruption to basic services across the nation for a significant period of time.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
I think the governmet will not exactly be tolerant of Mormons.  I'm not saying a big roundup or anything approaching the tinfoil hat brigade.  I'm just saying that the authorities might view Mormons as sources of trouble when the rest of the community would rather they not be around.

I agree with you.  BP also pointed out something interesting - that your hypothetical sounds a lot like the Texas scenario, when the Fundies were raided and their children were stolen from them by government employees - all due to a lie told by a trouble making ex-fundy.

Fundies and Mormons are not the same religion.  They parted ways a loooooooong time ago.  But it is worth saying that the government has never been tolerant of Mormons.  And a big roundup is not unheard of in times of crisis.  People LIKE having a scape goat, and they like having their cake and eating it too (literally).  So I don't think rounding up a bunch of people whose religion you don't understand, and whose lifestyle is completely un-assimilated to what we consider normal (what we consider normal: 12 year old girls dressing like britney spears, etc) is an action that could really be considered out of the question when everybody is scared.

Eh... or maybe I'm bitter.  :)  It's possible.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
I love my state, but the Texas government WAY overreached in regards to the removal of the children from that community. You dont have to agree with someones lifestyle or viewpoints to respect their rights. One girl saying she was abused does not translate into removing every child from a community.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
This scenario of Mormons being targeted for their preps is so fascinating.

As a brief aside from the thread, I wonder if ithis idea of Mormons prepping, being targeted, fighting back, and being scape goats for a corrupt government wouldn't make a good short story or a subplot in a novel. 

Hey: Halffast, the writer of novels on this forum: whaddya think?  The idea is yours if you want it.  Just make the cool guy character named Heavy G.  That's all I ask. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:44:11 AM by Heavy G »

bioboy

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:36 AM »
Course on the other side if something happened to a kid within the community after the government had a report the government would get blasted on the other side. People doing the "Well if the government knew why didn't they do something." I would hate to work in child protection right now. If you do one thing your overreacting if you go the other way and something happens people want to know why they didn't step in before.

To answer the original thread YES. Wait till people see someone cooking or even looking like they are well fed and still strong and not going to get food from Fema. The normal grasshoppers wouldn't notice them but the snakes will. The ones right now who steal and know how to spot wealth will see it and follow the ant home.  Well meaning grasshoppers might notice it but assume you got food just before it hit and I think if Fema is providing they will go there till that runs out then they remember the ant had food. Course the snakes tend to travel in pack and bring weapons and when one gets killed they run probally not much of a threat. Then when all the food is gone and the grasshoppers are looking. Think locust to any food source in the area. Man I need to move out of the city and take an downer :D      

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
bioboy:

Nice first posting.  I gave you your first karma point.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
Heavy G,

I second the motion +1,

Good post bioboy!

Swanson

Offline Halffast

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
This scenario of Mormons being targeted for their preps is so fascinating.

As a brief aside from the thread, I wonder if ithis idea of Mormons prepping, being targeted, fighting back, and being scape goats for a corrupt government wouldn't make a good short story or a subplot in a novel. 

Hey: Halffast, the writer of novels on this forum: whaddya think?  The idea is yours if you want it.  Just make the cool guy character named Heavy G.  That's all I ask. 

Great idea.  I could use it in LO2.  Thanks!

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
We're not Mormons, but a friend of ours is.  We got to know her extended family and some of her other friends -- most of them Mormons -- at birthday parties and similar functions.  In most ways they seem like perfectly normal high-tech suburban Americans.  At least at first.

One time their mama proudly showed me their 2 year supply of food and demonstrated the hand-cranked wheat roller.  (Very entertaining for kids.)  Then the men showed off the guns.  Not a vast arsenal, but more than enough to do the job.  Do not try to raid their house.

The subject didn't come up, but I have no doubt that they thought of water and electricity already.  There are signs of a garden too.

I really like these people.  The rest of us can learn a lot from them.

But I pity anyone who tries to take what they have by force...

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
I would think that going on mission trips to overseas areas would also enhance their survival knowledge..... Being able to see what works and doesnt in third world countries can be invaluable.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
I really like these people.  The rest of us can learn a lot from them.

But I pity anyone who tries to take what they have by force...

I agree with you 100%.  +1