Author Topic: Bear with me  (Read 632 times)

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
Bear with me
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »
Apologies for posting this here on the web and not direct email, but for whatever reason the bandwidth on the computers where I'm at wont allow for emails, just browsing. That or it's the firewalls.

So the wife and I have finally decided to get a Berkey for the kitchen. Space is a little limited but I'd like to know what components I would need aside form just the filtration system itself to remove things like chemicals, medications, and other harmful elements that make it past the city's filtration/treatment process.

Thoughts?

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: Bear with me
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
You should ONLY need the Berkey. We just got ours and being in the pharmaceutical industry for 16 years and having run a water quality lab I wanted hard data since I used to test million dollar water systems and know what results should be. I am VERY happy with my purchase and notice a significant difference from our previous water sources. In the site there are various links to test data. In the end buy from Directive 21 as they are local to the US and the below site is from Europe. But lab data from US.

http://www.berkeywaterfilterseurope.com/black-berkey-water-filters.html#table
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:57:49 AM »
Thanks,

I'm glad the basic package will work. There are a number of add-ons and frankly I only have the vaguest of ideas what they do and our Internet is VERY limited here.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »
We did get the fluoride removal cartridges as well as the black filters. Be sure to follow the priming instructions and test prior to using it. The red food coloring will tell you if there are any leaks and if the filters are working properly. When we purged our fluoride filters we got a white milky substance out. Once it ran clear we gave a bit longer just to be safe. I read where some didn't filter and ended up complaining about the system because they couldn't follow directions.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf