Author Topic: Ruger American vs Savage 110-111  (Read 2884 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
Ruger American vs Savage 110-111
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
I may catch flack because it is not a survival related question but, I have been looking at both rifles at chinamart and the seem to be very similar.  There is however a $100 price difference.  I am not worried about spending $100 more if that means getting a better weapon. 
I am lookig for something that can be used to hunt our small whitetail and pigs in Texas.  I am wanting some reliable and accurate.  Any feed back is greatly appreciated
Jason
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Emiliano Zapata

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: Ruger American vs Savage 110-111
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »
You will notice that the look and feel of the Savage is just not up to par with other manufacturers.  But those that own them, including myself and my extended family, will tell you their look and feel does not take away from performance, especially for the price you'll pay for one.

My current go to deer rifle is an older model (purchased in '86) Savage 110 in 7mm Remington, and it's a tack driver.  It's killed more deer and elk than any rifle I own.  In my experience, the newer models are even better. . . .  People who know me and that rifle call it "killer" because it looks like a killer (been used and abused) and it kills anyhting it points at.  I even shot the head off a grouse with it one time (and I was aiming for the head).

I think it was a $300 rifle that came as a package (rifle, sling, scope).  The only thing that has been done to it is that I've replaced the scope and the sling.  Not a single change has been made to the actual rifle.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:34:28 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the response Nelson
Emiliano Zapata

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
No problem.

You're going to run in to a lot of gun snobs that will disagree with my opinion.  I've even been known to be a bit of a Remington snob and my brother is a terrible Browning snob.  But, we both also own Savage's and at the end of the day, if we're open and honest, we can't say a bad thing about how our Savage's perform.

The last rifle (of any brand) that my brother bought is a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision .338 Lapua.  It's now his primary elk rifle.  It's a tack driver.  The longest shots he's made with it to date, where groups were measured, is 640 yards.  We consistently got 3" groups.  On the same shoot, he took a shot at 1000 yards at an 8" rock but missed on the first shot (0.05 mil high).  He adjusted his turret and the second shot hit the rock . . .  We both love it.

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
Thats awesome!
You are darn straight about gun snobs, I stopped into two of the local gun stores and asked about the Ruger and Savage.  I was quickly pointed to the other higher end rifles.  I just want something accurate and reliable. I am also cheep too but I do not mind spending more if it is needed to obtain a better quality weapon.  I am not getting one for zombies or anything like that, I just want something to go hunting with.  Thats the reason I am looking at a 30-06, from what I read and have heard that is a very versitle caliber.  Thanks again
Emiliano Zapata

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »
Thats the reason I am looking at a 30-06, from what I read and have heard that is a very versitle caliber.

Now you did it, you opened another can of worms.  There are as many "caliber" snobs as their are "gun make" snobs.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline minnesotashooter

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »
I love my Savage rifles, all 3 of them.  I have 2 110's in .223 and a 111 in 30.06.  Great guns, I highly recommend them.

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »
I don't think you would be wrong going with either choice of rifles.  I also agree that a 30-06 is a great option.  You might consider a 308 due to the short action.  I doubt if any critter can tell the difference between being shot with a 30-06 or 308.

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
Savage, hands down.

Parts are easy to find and plentiful, and they are great rifles to boot.

If it's your first rifle, 30-06 is a very good choice, will take pretty much anything in North America and is plentiful on the shelves just about anywhere you go.

Other calibers I would entertain would be 308, 270, 7mm Mag maybe... unless you have one of the basic hunting calibers in your hands already, I would stay away from other calibers as they are harder to find in a pinch.

Save your money for a good scope, base and rings... at the price range of the rifle, paying more for the scope than the rifle should be expected. Better glass = being able to take those early morning and late evening shots, when other glass just won't cut it.
Brian K.

W1CDP

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
If it's a hunting purposed rifle and it's going to be a rifle to fit most all needs, I'd go with the 7mm Rem Mag for caliber.  But that's me, I have no idea what you are going to hunt or where.  30-06 would be my next choice, but only because the ammo is so easy to find.

Spend all the money you can muster on the scope and mounts, cut no corners here.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
Thanks for the feed back y'all.
Emiliano Zapata

Offline CharlieFoxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
So what did you get?
All of Jack's wisdom distilled into one do not miss podcast:  Episode 823.

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »
I purchased the Savage 110 in 30-06. I have had more suggestions for savage than the ruger. So here's to hoping all those suggestions are good.
I did get a Nikon 3x9x40 for it and its done well at the range. Next year I can test it out on Bambi. Unless some one on here is near Fort Worth and had pigs that needed to be thinned out. Lol
Emiliano Zapata

Offline Prep pal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »
If you are just looking for a decent rifle, go with the savage.
If you are looking for a really good precision shooter out of the box, I would say
1. Don't buy at Walmart
2. Don't buy either gun

I personally (just my opinion) would go with a Howa 1500 in .308
 I did a buttload of picking up and feeling every rifle I could get my fingers on and decided the Howa was a much better gun than even the Remi 700. It's just my opinion but I feel it's the best rifle you can buy in the $500 and under range.

Downside, not so many aftermarket parts.