Author Topic: Transcribing Ep 1039 and 1040 - I need your help  (Read 18841 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Transcribing Ep 1039 and 1040 - I need your help
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
Ep 1040
Done with time range:          45:30 -    55:30
Starting time range:             55:30 - 1:05:30

as always:
I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you have questions.[/size][/font]

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
Its that time again....  8)

Ep 1040
Done with time range:         55:30 - 1:05:30
Starting time range:         1:05:30 - 1:15:30

as always:
I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you have questions.

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
I'll grab the next ten minutes, then.

<1:15:30 to 1:15:30>

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 06:54:29 AM »
I'll grab the next ten minutes, then.
<1:15:30 to 1:25:30>
Thanks!!

Done with time range:         1:05:30 - 1:15:30
Starting time range:             1:25:30 - 1:35:30   

as always:
I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you have questions.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
Done with time range:          1:25:30 - 1:35:30
Starting time range:             1:35:30 - 1:38:30

as always:

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
Done with time range:          1:35:30 - 1:38:30 
Starting time range:             1:44:30 - 1:46:00

as always:

OMG there is only 2mins more left. if you want you karma/credit, you better act quick...

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
Ep 1039 is Done!!!

I finally got through polishing it up, before the TSP proof reads look at it.
You can read and search through it here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=39592.0

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
Ep 1039 is Done!!!

I finally got through polishing it up, before the TSP proof reads look at it.
You can read and search through it here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=39592.0

Arg, I'm so sorry >.< Been a bit chaotic, changed jobs and been stressed with that. Awesome work though! It's so helpful to have the Steven Harris episodes in text form to Ctrl-F.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
Arg, I'm so sorry >.< Been a bit chaotic, changed jobs and been stressed with that. Awesome work though! It's so helpful to have the Steven Harris episodes in text form to Ctrl-F.

No rush. still finishing up the last 5mins of 1040 and then I still have to do a review before I send it to the proofers.

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Terribly sorry for the delay, finally sat my butt down and went through it.

<1:15:30 to 1:15:30>

the back of the vehicle. Now I only wanted to run 30 amps, no more than 30 amps from the alternator underneath the hood to the batteries in the box. And to do this all I needed was six gauge wire. That's buck three a foot at Home Depot in year 2012. And I got 30 feet of red, 30 feet of black, I twisted them together with a drill to make a twisted-pair. I show this in the video, incidentally, it looks better than sounds here. And I ended up with using about 22 feet of wire to go from the front battery, down the front of the truck, zip-tied to the outside of the frame rail of the truck, and then back up between the cab and the bed of truck. And then through a hole with a grommet I put in in the back of the toolbox and then to the batteries.

Jack Spirko: Now we’re getting to what I'm excited about because this was the entire reason that I brought this whole project to you in the first place. What did you put in there so it would only draw 30 amps and no more, and charge that battery and isolate it from our front battery banks? Cause that was the X factor I was looking for from you in the first place.

Steven Harris: Wow. Gee, instead of doing a month’s worth of work I could’ve answered it for you in five seconds.

Jack Spirko: Yeah, but everybody else wouldn’t have gotten all this stuff.

Steven Harris: I know, and it's worth it. I love it really, it’s a labor of love. Well Jack I looked high and low. And I mean I really looked into all options for you guys. And the best option was to use a smart, intelligent solar charge controller meant to charge a battery bank from solar panels. It’s a 30 amp solar charge controller from Sunforce. I have it on the Battery1234.com website so you can see it. Everything is there now. And can we say this all at once:  The Sunforce. It is a computer-controlled, intelligent, three stage battery charger. It’s as smart as a Schumacher battery charger is. When the truck is at idle or driving, the alternator is making between 13.8 and 14.7 volts. And that is enough voltage for the solar charger to take up, and to precisely charge the batteries in the back of a pickup truck. When they’re full, the charger will maintain them and keep them at 100%. It works like a dream. Keep in mind this starts to add up in price. Assuming you already got the pickup box – and I didn’t, I had to go buy one - or you got one used off of craigslist – and I did look on craigslist, couldn’t find one near me. You need the deepest one you can get. It’s got to go all the way from the rail to one inch off the bed, guys. The golf cart batteries take up a lot of height. Two GC2 golf cart batteries from Sam’s Club are 94 bucks each plus $15 core charge each. The 30 amp Sunforce controller, the 99 bucks, the 1600 watt Whistler inverter I have on it is about 130 bucks. Heck, there’s $60 in wire just going from the front of the truck to the rear of it.

<1:18:34

Plus wood and hex lag bolts, you’re now up to $500 and we’re not even finished yet. So, it can add up quickly.

Jack Spirko: Well, you know, and we wanted to do something here. We wanted to make this thing cost less than a solar generator, do everything a solar generator doesn't do, and do what solar generators do, which is actually continuously produce power, even if we’re out of gas. So what about solar energy? Can you recharge it with a solar panel?

<1:19:02

Steven Harris: Well. What all you guys think my answer will be? You have a 300 horsepower diesel engine. You got 30 gallons of diesel fuel and it charges as you drive down the road. Yes!
Everyone wants a solar panel in the battery bank, so do you know what I put in the video? I put in a solar panel! I, Steve Harris, have a 100 watt solar panel, super light saber and 30 feet of 12 gauge wire with nice little connectors on them going to my battery bank. The solar panel will go anywhere around the truck and you can lean the panel on any angle you so desire to get the best sun. I have enough wire that you can park the truck in the shade and put the solar panel in the sunshine. Now, I could put in a double big, double pole, double throw switch and switch the wires from the front of the 30 amp controller over to the solar panel connector, however by the time you look at a 30 amp double pole, double throw switch, that’s 40 bucks right there. And that’ll handle 30 amps continuously. And then you look at six huge connectors going to the switch and three splices in the wire, you’re gonna have to make room for a switch. I just did not want to put that much stuff to go wrong in my main power line from the front of the truck to charge controller to the batteries. I want one smooth run with no interruptions, nothing to go wrong, nothing to break. So what I did was I got a $30 10 amp Sunforce solar charge controller. Again, it is a computer-controlled, three stage, intelligent charger. And I use it for what it was really intended for:  I put the solar panel on it through 30 feet of 12 gauge wire, and hooked it up directly to the batteries. You can have the 30 amp charge controller and the 10 amp charge controller on the same batteries at the same time. You don't need to switch one out. Now someone told me they’d like to go hunting for two weeks at a time and that they’d be 20 to 40 miles from the nearest town out hunting, and they would not run their truck even for those two weeks. And it’d be nice to have a little bit of sunshine putting energy into the batteries while they were out hunting because they wanted to use the battery bank in the back of the truck for some lights and other creature comforts while they were camping. So I put a nice-sized, 100 watt solar panel on it, and so there goes another $277 right there. Plus another $25 in 12 gauge wire, plus another $15 in connectors for the wires so you can plug and unplug it easily. Now I have one safety thing to mention about running the wires from the front of the truck to the back of the truck. I got two six gauge wires running from the front all the way to the back of the pickup truck to the solar charge controller. If I got in an accident, or I hit a big rock or a curb, and I smashed those two wires together and shorted them, all the energy in the front batteries would be a dead short and the wire would probably glow red with heat and the insulation would catch fire and I’d probably burn down my old truck. What I did was on the positive six gauge wire going to the front battery up near the front battery – and I showed us in the video very, very detailed – I’ve put a 60 amp Mini Kota - hat’s a brand name:  M-I-N-I K-O-T-A – DC circuit breaker in the line. These are made for trolling motors. They’re about 30 bucks each. So now I have 30 amps max running through the wire, and the circuit breaker is 60 amps. So that circuit is never going to trip unless that wire gets dead shorted out somehow. No surge is going to do it, nothing like that. I also show you how to do this with what's called ANL fuse, they’re for big car sterieos, it’s a bit cheaper than the Mini Kota circuit breaker. But I put in a 60 amp slow blow fuse for protection, and it cost about 15 bucks to do this. So there is one safety item I put in my six gauge wire running directly from the batteries from the front of the truck to the charge controller in the back.

<1:23:22

Jack Spirko: I'd say it's money well spent too, because you're talking about quite a bit of power being dumped if you don't have that.

Steven Harris: Yeah, especially with the short circuit, it’s a good thing to put in there.

Jack Spirko: So now that you’ve capitulated, got yourself a solar panel, and hooked it up to the thing, does it work?

Steven Harris: I don't know. There’s not been a day of sunshine since I put it on it. I'm sure sun will shine soon enough but so far, no sunshine.

Jack Spirko: I think one of the things people should look at, though. They do get how to put that solar panel into the system if they wanted to, and they could use that information to use a solar panel system for a system in their house. I mean it's all the same theory, right?

<1:24:06

Steven Harris: True 100%.

Jack Spirko: So that's good. So again, what Steve and I are trying to do is prevent you from spending 2500 bucks for a so-called solar generator that isn’t a quarter of what we taught you to build for less than half the price.

Steven Harris: Well, you can do it a lot cheaper because they don’t have two big golf cart batteries in there.

Jack Spirko: No.

Steven Harris: They have a small, sealed lead-acid battery like what’s in your UPS. So I’m saying our batteries cost 200 bucks, but their battery literally cost 20 bucks.

Jack Spirko: Yeah, exactly. So we want you to stay away from that. It just doesn't make sense, and a mobile system like this, you add solar capability to it, so if you don’t want to run the vehicle for whatever reason, or a long-term situation where you’re out of fuel or whatever it is, you’ve got that capability, but you've also got all this power every freaking day, every time you start the motor to go and get a quart of milk or go to work.

Steven Harris: Yep.

Jack Spirko: And then they just stay charged. I mean, how simple is that? Now, what else do you add to the box? Cause you’ve got all that space back there to work with and I know you.

Steven Harris: Oh, lots of stuff, Jack. Stuff I mounted to the wood under lid. I went and got a round pull chain light socket from Home Depot and I mounted it on the wood and put in a six watt, equal to a 40 watt, LED light bulb and ran a small 120 volt cable, then plugged into one of the three outlets on the inverter.

<1:25:33

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
Terribly sorry for the delay, finally sat my butt down and went through it.

<1:15:30 to 1:25:30>

I foresee 20 karmas in your future (thanks for the hard work)

With that 1039/1040 are done! :happydance:
I gave it a 2nd look over and now it is ready for the grammer police proof readers.

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
I foresee 20 karmas in your future (thanks for the hard work)

With that 1039/1040 are done! :happydance:
I gave it a 2nd look over and now it is ready for the grammer police proof readers.

Oh psh, you've done more than enough for me, and I'm grateful. Also yay, a text version of Steven Harris shows for reference! I really need to get around to watching his 3 hour video..