Author Topic: best cooler for extended trip  (Read 39656 times)

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
Re: best cooler for extended trip
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
I got a Coleman 58-Quart Ultimate Extreme Marine Cooler, for camping not boating. The hinges are metal and it seals really tight. We don't camp in really hot areas but even so one bag of ice will last 4 days with kids getting in and out.

Offline bluprint

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:55 AM »
In general, deep freezing your ice will add a while. In Arkansas, ice that's kept in the deep freeze will last at least an extra day during the summer.

Offline kellgy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
Igloo makes a Yeti version cooler. They are just as effective and pricy. They do keep things cooler for nearly twice as long as a regular ice chest. I did a comparison on a month long vacation and found the Igloo Yukon to work much better so I kept all my meat in it and left fruits, veggies, etc. in the reg. ice chest. They are also heavy and taller then traditional chests. If you can afford one, they will last a life-time, are bear proof, and lockable.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
Then it would take up more space in my canoe.  A lot of microbrews now come in cans, and Woodchuck Cider comes in the shorter bottles, so I'm all set.

We found Woodchuck in cans last week.

They do exist!

We bought both cases they had there...

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
I also never understood the use of cup holders in the lid. I know cold sinks but doesn't that lessen the amount of insulation at those points? I guess if I'm too drunk to hold my own beer, I'm not really interested in the amount of inulation i'm missing  ;D