Author Topic: Looking for best price for Mylar bags  (Read 9274 times)

Offline Shmoges

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Looking for best price for Mylar bags
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
The more I look the more it seems that I can get either 1 gallon size or 5-6 gallon size bags and the LDS cannery is the best price but they only have the 1 gallon size. I guess its a good way of not having all your eggs in one basket, even if you have 2-3 bags in one bucket if one goes bag at least all of it isn't bad eh?  Am I better off buying a bunch of hand warmers from walmart instead of getting 100's of little 02 eaters?  Thanks in advance :D Aaron.

Offline Neilsan

• Prepper
  • Squirrels prepare too, right?
Re: Looking for best price for Mylar bags
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
I had the same thought. Why not just have 5 one gallon bags in a five gallon bucket? If there happens to be a hole, at least there's still 4 gallons of food. It would also be nice to have a couple extra bags because this will be the first time I've ever sealed them. I'd hate to mess up my first time and ruin a 5 gallon bag.
Also, I'm definitely looking to get a good deal on bags, but more importantly, I want to get good bags that will last. I almost bought the 5 pack of 5 gallon bags right away off of Amazon prime, but I read the reviews. Most people were happy, but a few said that they mailed them folded, and that some of them had holes because of that. If one of you was transporting or shipping a mylar bag, would you fold it, or roll it up? 

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
It has been a few years sense I ordered any from these folks - but what I remember they were ok ok their prices + they had the vacuum bags I wanted at a very good price.

http://www.agribags.com/Mylar_Bags.html
 http://www.agribags.com/Pro_2300_Bags.html

One option for packaging up a 5/6 gal bucket is to use smaller bags so one bucket can contain, wheat, corn, rice, spices, and other things you need to feed a small family without having to worry too much about re-packing up a 5 gal bucket.

I also found a few years ago a nice source for 2.5 gal buckets + lids and bought a handful of those to help re-package larger buckets when the need arose.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:32:34 AM »
Aaron,

I've done it both ways.  Generally, a 5 gallon bucket will hold right at 5 gal when using the one large bag, but only about 4 gal when using full one-gal LDS bags.  There is a lot of wasted space since the square bags don't fit exactly in a round bucket.  To maximize fill, I generally place only a half a gallon in each LDS bag.  Then they are pliable and flat enough to work.

FWIW, I bought 5 gal bags from Emergency Essentials for about $1.50 each.  They are heavyweight bags like LDS.  I did purchase from another place once, but the bags were only half as many mils thick.  The thicker bags are less permeable to oxygen. 

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
I use 1 gallon bags from LDS, they stack nicely in the plastic totes from wall mart. takes up a bit more space, but I have smaller portions when I open a bag, good for giving to neighbors as well. I vacuum seal with a vacuum sealer for a super tight seal.

Offline Shmoges

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
I couldn't say no to the LDS canery prices.  $30 for 100 1 gallon bags and a free 100 count o2 eaters.  Funny part was when I went to seal the bags.  I used my old snowboard waxing iron from the 1930's.  I never turned that thing up that hot and boy did it smoke from all of the wax build up. Then I had it way too hot and ruined a bag.   I got the hang of is and used a 2 foot level as my straight line for under the bag.  I think I will take the canery up on there offer of dry canning and using the machinery for it for free.  Easier I think.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
i am starting to look into these bags and my work orders a lot of supplies from a company called ULINE. http://www.uline.com/BL_5552/Food-Bags?keywords=mylar

there prices seem pretty reasonable and they have both regular pouches and zip pouches. they have good products so i am thinking of getting a case of smaller bags to mix up the variety in my food buckets.

Offline The Chihuahua has Spoken

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »
I just stocked up on a dozen leather work gloves in a size medium, plus a dozen pair of brown jersey gloves to line them with in winter.  The gloves I ordered are sturdier with extra reinforcement on the index and pinkie fingers and half the price of what a non-reinforced pair is locally.  Plus, locally, they are only available in size large, and I was able to order medium.  They arrived very quickly as well.  I didn't know uline had mylar bags, I'll have to check that out.

i am starting to look into these bags and my work orders a lot of supplies from a company called ULINE. http://www.uline.com/BL_5552/Food-Bags?keywords=mylar

there prices seem pretty reasonable and they have both regular pouches and zip pouches. they have good products so i am thinking of getting a case of smaller bags to mix up the variety in my food buckets.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
ULINE seems to carry just about everything. i think i've even seen food grade buckets on their site as well. next my work orders i think i'm going to add a case of bags on there so i can cut on shipping costs.