Author Topic: Tonneau Covers on a Bug Out Truck: Yes, No?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
Tonneau Covers on a Bug Out Truck: Yes, No?
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
On a bug out truck that is going to be used as a day to day truck as well, what do you guys think of a tonneau cover as an addition to said vehicle?
Pros, cons?

My Blog:
http://patriotgunandgear.blogspot.com/
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I beat you with until you understand who is in charge."
Jayne from "Firefly"

_________

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
Re: Tonneau Covers on a Bug Out Truck: Yes, No?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
I say "yes". But first you need to ask yourself the following question, am I going to normally be carrying loads higher that the bed? If the answer is yes, then don't get the cover. If the answer is no, then I would recommend. Couple of reasons for me. 1. I like keeping my stuff out of the weather. 2. I like that people cannot casually see what I have. 3. Mine is lockable, so with a locking tailgate it keeps things even more secure. 4. For me anyhow it has paid for itself since we have a cover/tarp law concerning hauling stuff to the dump.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
I always thought it was pronounced "Tonto" (like the Indian) covers.  Huh.  Learn something new every day.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »
I went with a retractable cover. Release two levers at the back and it rolls up near the cab.

Offline kellgy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
I fine a nice shell works well for handling most items, keeping things out of the weather, and housing a battery bank. Add a carpet kit and you have a nice upgrade that is easily removable and functional.

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »
In need to carry a lot of gear in my work truck and I need it to be secure, dry, and easy to get to, so I use an A.R.E. Tonneau Cover and a Bed Slide.  I've had many company trucks with this configuration and the two brands mentioned have been of the highest quality.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 04:50:15 AM »
I have a flush mounted Bakflip F1. It is secure and keeps prying eyes out. If I need an open bed remove two bolts and done.
Life is made up of moments of contact no more. Take time to prepare so those moments of contact won't be lost.

Preppers Survive, Survivors Prep!!
http://www.myhomesteadgarden.com/

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
I've had my current truck for 6 years.....first thing I bought for it was a bed cover.   I would never consider not having one personally.   I went with the following...

http://www.truxedo.com/truxport/land.php

The only thing you really give up is the "bedrail" itself.   Don't go banging things off the top of the bedrail when the cover is installed, or it will not function right.   I went with velcro, not snaps because here in WV we see snow.   Metal snaps fill up with ice and won't work right in the winter.

Don't believe the "better gas milage" sell....I've never seen a difference.   In dry weather I will have it rolled up against the front of the bed for weeks at a time, never did improve my gas usage either way.

After six years I'm needing to replace it.   I forget what I paid back then, $250 maybe?   Now they are about $320.   I'll go w/ the same brand.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
I use mine as a truck too much of the time hauling firewood, horse manure, compost or topsoil to want to cover the bed, but if I didn't, I'd still lean toward a capper rather than a Tonneau cover just for the added space and the ability to use it as a camper on occasion.  However, if you're using this entirely as a city truck and just want to keep things secured out of sight, out of mind, then by all means, they're a great way to hide your stuff and protect it from the elements.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
I've seen these on a couple of trucks -

http://www.softopper.com/

Anyone have opinions or experience with them?  They seem a little expensive at $600ish - that's about what I paid for a fiberglass, color matched camper shell on a Dodge Dakota in 1992.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »

I considered the soft topper too.   It is cool.   I didnt like that it didnt fully get out of the way when you collapse it.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
I'm also in the middle of building a set of drawers that will sit on the bottom of my truck bed. Got the idea from one of homesteadprepper's videos. I don't like having the toolbox that sits on top of the bed rails. With that and the roll up cover, I think I'll be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgHGOTVOx5w

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
I use a folding hard Tonneau, It's fiberglass extang model that's covered in Stayfast fabric like a convertible top. it folds in three sections and will lock in the folded position at the front or can just be lifted off if you need the whole bed. The top is watertight and locks to the bedrails. I also have a full underrail Bedrug always ready to be used as a shelter in a minute with supplies stashed inside and under the seats. tonneaus are a big help to keep prying eyes off your gear/firearms/tools.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

I considered the soft topper too.   It is cool.   I didnt like that it didnt fully get out of the way when you collapse it.

It does block your view in the rearview mirror, but I think I could live with it.  They say you can "easily" remove it if needed.  I can see doing that for large items in the bed, but if I put a battery backup system back there, it's a moot point.  I'm not pulling a couple hundred pounds of battery out on a whim!
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »

Well my soft cover bought it today on the annual Christmas trip to the dump!   (side note, my season starts with the first trip to the mall and ends with the trip to the trash transfer station!).    Anyway, I'm shopping for one now too.  I'm almost certain I'll replace it with the same one I had before, but please do let me know what you pick.   I may yet go a different direction.    Also thinking about a bed liner too.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
I have a soft tonneu cover for my truck.  I have the Access Lorado and it has worked great for the 3 years I've had it.

As far as storage in the bed, since I have a short box (5.5') I don't want to lose any space to a box so I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-SC201P-SwingCase-Passenger-Storage/dp/B001B7VSPW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3O3WP1ORXU6KT&coliid=IHYGDHKS29XGD

UnderCover swing case, they work great.

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
I have a soft tonneu cover for my truck.  I have the Access Lorado and it has worked great for the 3 years I've had it.

As far as storage in the bed, since I have a short box (5.5') I don't want to lose any space to a box so I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-SC201P-SwingCase-Passenger-Storage/dp/B001B7VSPW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3O3WP1ORXU6KT&coliid=IHYGDHKS29XGD

UnderCover swing case, they work great.

Hey, that swing case is cool!   I have an under cover (over the wheel well) diamond plate box.  But it doesnt swing.  My truck has a lift on it too, so getting into that box almost always means I'm standing on the tire, brushing up against a muddy truck.   This will make it a lot easler.   Nice
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline tacticalzigzag

• Prepper
    • BUGOUTTRUCK.COM, BUGOUTTRUCK BLOG
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
One thing that I've found to be super handy if you have a tonneau cover is a bed-slide http://www.bedslide.com/. If you are hauling a lot of little stuff (for me it's usually tools) it's easier to have access on all sides than it is to crawl over everything. The only down side is they essentially make your bed smaller with a cover on, giving you even less room when you do need to haul bigger stuff. As far as covers go my favorite right now is the "Undercover Flex"   http://www.flex-cover.com/ they are super lightweight and easy to get on and off.
If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability. Henry Ford

Do you need a bug out Vehicle? If so, we can build it for you! Check out our website and blog.

BUGOUTTRUCK.COM

BUG OUT TRUCK BLOG

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
That bedslide would work great for me.   With the lift on my truck, it makes it just a little too tall to reach over the bed rail.   I'll have to look at that website closer.

Thanks
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
I highly recommend a tonneau for security and to added versitilty. Even if it's a soft tonneau ... with a locking tailgate it makes for a nice place to lock things up out of sight. I have a Rugged folding tonneau and can't say enough good about it. I got it from a friend and used in for the past four years. When a wind storm tore it up ... I called them up to order replacement parts and they mailed me everything no questions asked, no money needed.

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Tonneau-Covers/Rugged-Premium-Folding-Tonneau-Cover
Change the food supply chain with this mobile app that connects local growers and consumers efficiently and sustainably.

http://foodstand.gizmodirt.com