Author Topic: Ant's Thread #1 of 13: Butchering  (Read 1892 times)

Offline ant

• Prepper
Ant's Thread #1 of 13: Butchering
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

One of my skills to develop for 2013 is to learn how to kill and butcher animals.  Keep in mind I grew up in a suburban existence and the closest I've ever come to something like this is opening the shrink wrap off the hamburger meat from the grocery store.

When a friend of mine mentioned that he would be processing over 50 meat chickens right before Christmas, I jumped at the opportunity to come and help.  I told him I wanted to learn every step of the process.  My immediate family was in full support, and my oldest daughter even helped too.  The rest of my family, however, thought I was weird.  They couldn't understand why I would want to spend an entire Saturday (the last Saturday before Christmas at that) killing and cleaning chickens.

It was a great experience in which I learned a lot about processing meat. I also learned a lot about myself.  At the very beginning of the day I was beginning to have my doubts if I could go through it.  However, by the end of the day once we got into a groove of doing it, I found I actually enjoyed it.  I now am confident that if I had to do it again I would have the know-how to do the same thing.  I'm already starting to figure out what it would take to start raising a couple dozen meat chickens for my own family.

Plus as a bonus:  There was nothing more satisfying than sitting down at the dinner table on Christmas evening enjoying a roasted chicken that I had killed with my own hands and my daughter had processed.

I plan on posting later in this thread all the gory details (including some photos) for those are interested (and are not too squeamish).

Take care,
ant

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
Re: Ant's Thread #1 of 13: Butchering
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Awesome! Good to hear thy you,be started the goals already. Only one more week until this forum thread gets way more active

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
Good for you. Puts you in touch with your food.

Offline PostCarbon

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
Great that you took your oldest to help.  It becomes an applied biology lesson.  Boys will start messing with them and "playing" their necks, by lifting up the chicken, then pressing the chicken down on the surface.  Pretty hilarious.  You haven't lived until you hear a kid playing Jingle Bells with a chicken. 

Butchering old layers is fascinating too, if you get a chance.  Especially if you get one that is impacted--so interesting...

My personal next challenge is to cut up one side of pork, after it's been slaughtered.  I think I could handle that on my own.  Slaughtering by myself is a bit harder, plus tough since I have no gun....

Offline cathleeninnh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:48:12 AM »
very impressive! I would like to do that myself but I don't know if I will get that done this year. I hope I have it in me.