Author Topic: Motorcycle  (Read 3101 times)

Offline dpimike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Motorcycle
« on: December 26, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
I was recently thinking how advantageous it might be to add a dual sport motorcycle to my emergency preparedness.  Found a 2002 Honda XR 650 for a steal. It's no trailer queen like my Harley but a pretty serious on/off road beast. Thinking that this could be great for accessing remote areas in a pinch with something that sips fuel. Maybe its to get to a hunting location, run for medical supplies or just scout out nearby terrain that I can't access with my truck. Now just figuring out what components to add like pvc mounted pipe to hold maps of surrounding areas, flashlights,  larger fuel tank for extended range, etc. Anyone have any good ideas on how to deck out a dual sport bike?

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
Re: Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
I have 2 pods that flank my rear fender I forget who makes it some guy just assembles them and has a small online business you can buy small packages.  I bought 2 sets of the pods they come with small metal red fuel cans and locks plus simple mounting hardware.  Ill look up where I got when I get home from work.  And ill show a picture if I remember :]
applejak

Offline scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
Anyone have any good ideas on how to deck out a dual sport bike?

Yup.  Spend some time surfing http://www.happy-trail.com/
I have a set of their Teton panniers on my KLR 650.  Solid, quality stuff.  Great company to deal with too.  The owner is a heckuva good guy and does a lot for the dual sport community and veteran- based charities.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
I'd add a muffler or three - make it as quiet as you can. If you're going sneakin' and peekin', sneak and peek - don't broadcast your presence. I'd also think about painting it in a subdued color - not camo per se, but something that doesn't scream out at you in the woods, yet something that you wouldn't mind riding to the store.

soup

soup
Hey, MARTYRS! Those seventy-two dark eyed virgins waiting for you in Paradise - they're NUNS! With rulers.

Offline red211

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
  A friend and me talked about this the other day.  I think the most likely use would be a fuel shortage and getting around locally on very little fuel.   As an old MXer I would want something quick that would handle, but in the real world an older Honda XR 250 would be a great choice.  The 650 is kind of heavy and a handful in rough off road conditions like crossing creeks and the like.  On the plus side the 650 would be a little nicer for highway use.  I would try to stick with a Honda since there are many still around so used parts could be found.  I think the fuel usage will be the best reason to get a bike, and an on/off road will double as a bov if needed.  It is on the list for me, behind some other prep stuff though.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
For best fuel economy the smaller / lighter the better - thinking 125 - 2 smoker. For street legal, the detuned 250 four strokes are going to last and get great mileage. But be slow.

Most utility is the bigger bikes - 450, KLR650, Honda 650.

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:55 PM »
http://thetooltube.com/Home.html

Pretty cool little accessories with many mounting options.

Couldnt find this thread for a little bit but this was what i was trying to link earlier
applejak

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
  • 5 yrs to FT mobile retirement
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »
For best fuel economy the smaller / lighter the better - thinking 125 - 2 smoker. For street legal, the detuned 250 four strokes are going to last and get great mileage. But be slow.

Greetings all. I recently purchased a pair of 125cc Chinese CT-70 Honda clones for my survival prep. I'm planning on a full time mobile survival strategy and these little bikes fit perfectly into my plans. They are light weight (about 150lbs ea) and the handlebars fold down just like the old Honda mini-trail 70 I had as a kid did. They can be easily carried in the bed of a pick-up or on the back of an RV. They will get 80-120 mpg and will easily do over 50 mph. Many parts are interchangeable with Hondas and replacement engines and parts are readily available. Here's a couple shots:

I made a couple mods so far, such as replacing the stock 19mm emission restricted carbs with bigger 22 mm adjustable units and better air filtration, but I'm not quite finished yet. I need to get some dual sport tires to replace the street rubber and will gear them a tad higher too (1t bigger CS sprocket are in my plans).

Chip
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." - Calvin Coolidge

"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” — C.S. Lewis

"To live under the American Constitution is the greatest political privilege that was ever accorded to the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
After owning these little Chinese clones, I find them are superior in every way to my original Honda CT70 I had when I was a kid. First, they have much more power and an extra gear to put it to use. The throttle also operates more smoothly and precisely. They have better suspension and better brakes. They also have a superior 12v electrical system with no-maintenance electronic ignition and electric start. No more kick starting, except in a dead battery emergency. They also came with a centerstand, passenger pegs and a small rear rack, all of which were missing on my original. The more I ride them the more I like them. Definitely the bargain of the century. Considering the features and build quality, I think they are easily worth twice what I paid. I got lucky.

I recently installed a 17T countershaft sprocket (up 2 teeth) and took my little bike out for a top speed test run, now that it's broken in and running better. It has exceeded my expectations, easily breaking 65 mph (105 kph) sitting upright (and I'm no lightweight at around 220lbs.) This is way too fast for safety on these little bikes, but the gearing change should improve my already great gas mileage as well as reduce the rpm (lower noise and vibration) at a more reasonable 45-50 mph cruising speed. I was worried that it might be overgeared, but the little engine has plenty of low rpm torque and will sometimes pop an unintended wheelie if rapidly accelerating from stoplight. They are holding up well, with no repairs needed or wear observed so far. For the money spent (less than $18/ea w/shipping) and ease of installation (I just slid the rear axle forward a tad and it bolted right up) it's probably the best performance improvement for the dollar I could have made. Next up on the mod list will be a couple of detachable wire baskets for carrying a few groceries, spare gas, etc.

Here's a couple pictures of some sweet billet aluminum bar end mirrors I installed:

IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/1ebf2g.jpg[/IMG]

And a shot of the difference in the stock carb and the 3mm bigger one that gives it a little extra umph (near 10 hp, estimated from my top speed):

Chip

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:43:12 AM by Archer »
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." - Calvin Coolidge

"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” — C.S. Lewis

"To live under the American Constitution is the greatest political privilege that was ever accorded to the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »
where did you get these little scooters?

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
where did you get these little scooters?

http://www.scooterhighway.com/monkey-ib-championdax-l.html

I got a break on shipping by buying a pair.

Chip

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
those are pretty cool... something to keep in mind.

to the OP, you mentioned using these to go places a truck can't. keep in mind if you get stuck somewhere where only a bike can get too maybe you shouldn't be there to begin with. it would be very hard for a rescue crew to get to you if your truck couldn't get there.

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
  To put my two cents worth into perspective I am also a rider.

If there is just one or two people a bike is fine and will save on gas.  However if you have more than two people (or two people and some gear) you want to transport you'll need two bikes.  If you get 50mpg when you add a second bike your total mileage for both is 25mpg.  You could do as well with a small truck or AWD car and carry more gear.  If you got a small enough bike that you could strap to the back of your BOV or tow on a small trailer to use for scouting or to reconnect if you are away when SHTF, that's fine, but there really isn't a lot of extra utility in a bike for a small family when compared to an economical truck or car.

Of course that doesn't mean I'll be selling my bike any time soon...

-Brian

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
I have pretty much ZERO technical information to add, but I do know from experience that a motorcycle can be a huge help post-disaster.

My ex and I lived about 30 miles away from the San Fernando Valley (where he grew up) when the Northridge Quake hit.  For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northridge_quake

It was a 6.7 quake, though I seem to remember it being initially reported as a 7.2, and I could feel it pretty strongly at our house even though it was actually on an entirely different tectonic plate.  it threw an industrial paper cutting machine across the room of my in-laws' shop near the epicenter, and that thing probably weighed about as much as a car.  Solid iron, 6 feet high, 3 feet wide.

One of the overpasses to our freeway had collapsed, and the streets were literally on fire just a block or two away from my in-laws' home.  Going between our house and theirs took literally 3-5 hours.  Since my ex was a contractor, his work was suddenly all earthquake repair.  He stored his work truck and tools at his parents' house and commuted home by motorcycle.  Turned a 4 hour drive into a 1 hour ride since he could split lanes during stopped traffic, and it saved a ton of gas too.  If the road had been completely closed, it would have been even more useful since it was a converted dirt bike and there were plenty of offroad trails through the mountains.

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
I have pretty much ZERO technical information to add, but I do know from experience that a motorcycle can be a huge help post-disaster.

My ex and I lived about 30 miles away from the San Fernando Valley (where he grew up) when the Northridge Quake hit.  For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northridge_quake

It was a 6.7 quake, though I seem to remember it being initially reported as a 7.2, and I could feel it pretty strongly at our house even though it was actually on an entirely different tectonic plate.  it threw an industrial paper cutting machine across the room of my in-laws' shop near the epicenter, and that thing probably weighed about as much as a car.  Solid iron, 6 feet high, 3 feet wide.

One of the overpasses to our freeway had collapsed, and the streets were literally on fire just a block or two away from my in-laws' home.  Going between our house and theirs took literally 3-5 hours.  Since my ex was a contractor, his work was suddenly all earthquake repair.  He stored his work truck and tools at his parents' house and commuted home by motorcycle.  Turned a 4 hour drive into a 1 hour ride since he could split lanes during stopped traffic, and it saved a ton of gas too.  If the road had been completely closed, it would have been even more useful since it was a converted dirt bike and there were plenty of off-road trails through the mountains.

I know what you mean. I survived the Northridge quake too (living in Burbank.) My MIL was living in Northlake at the time, and though her senior building was condemned, she was not badly injured. I had an FT 500 Honda at the time and would split lanes (legal in CA) all the way to Lake Forest - down in Orange County. It easily cut 2 hours off of my commute each day.

The pair of us are planning on a full-time mobile retirement (in a travel trailer) in 5 years. We plan on taking these 2 little bikes with us when we do. Since they get over 100 MPG, using both together (50 mpg combined) they burn as little gas as an economy car - which we couldn't take with us, and it's surely much cheaper than firing up our diesel Tow Vehicle. At only 150lbs each, and with fold down handlebars they don't take up that much room or load capacity carried in the back of the pick-up. Many times we will just be using only one at a time or using both but driving in different directions, say she goes get a few groceries while I visit the hardware store for twice the economy and versatility - like having two 100 MPG economy cars. In an emergency they can also travel down narrow horse or bicycle trails where an ATV can't even go, shoot around traffic jams and avoid road blocks with the versatility of a bicycle - that once around the obsticle you can ride down the highway at speed or zip around town with equal versatility. Plus the seats are large enough and there are passenger pegs which will allow 2 to ride on one bike in an emergency. I've seen small, foldable bicycle trailers which may extend their versatility as a nearby grocery getter too. In a survival situation, where parts are scarce, we could even cannibalize one to keep the other going in a pinch. And since it's a clone of a popular Honda that was manufactured from 1969 to 1994 so there should be plenty of salvage parts available too.

Chip

Offline garysco

• Survivor
  • Poor old retired cop, motorcycle rider, KD6UBD
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Go here for accessories [urlhttp://www.happy-trail.com/][/url]

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
Thanks for the link. You must be reading my mind as I'm thinking about getting a couple of Primus fuel bottles. I'd like to have that sweet mounting bag, but at twice the price of a fuel bottle I think I'm better off making a custom fuel bottle bracket myself.

Here's a link to a foldable bicycle trailer with quick release wheels that looks like it would be great for short hops to the grocery store yet stow away easily for travel. http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Foldable-Luggage-Bicycle-Trailer/dp/B001NGD4XA  Here's another versatile folding trailer:  http://www.carryfreedom.com/city.html

Since I will probably domicile in TX, I don't think I will need to register such a small trailer (TX law says under 4,000 lb trailer doesn't need registration.) But will tail lights, brake lights and turn signals be required if one can see these things on the registered, licensed and insured tow vehicle?

Here's a quick detachable basket that can mount to my rear luggage rack that will help with carrying small loads.  http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126175385&TID=367&gclid=CMv398fjx7QCFQ0GnQodwm8AHQ

Chip

Offline garysco

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
88 Lbs. empty trailer on a 120 Lb 70cc scooter? Maybe.

Just my opinion -- but an older street legal Yamaha TW200 dual sport (craigslist?) would make a more capable / reliable lightweight short range zombie apocalypse workhorse. The stock fat tires let you go just about anywhere, and resale value will never go away.  But it depends on you budget and wants.

I secured a 1/4" thick plywood base, the same size as my big Wal-Mart soft sided zippered top cooler, to the rear rack of my old KLR650. Very light weight, insulated and it worked out very well for cheap $$.

BTW- you might get some ideas from this guys luggage - www.wolfmanluggage.com/ 

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »
Thanks for the link Garysco, and for everyone's helpful comments and suggestions. They are helping me think outside the box.  Those little trailers are designed to be pulled by a 30lb bicycle, so I don't think my 125cc bikes will have a problem towing them short distances at low speeds down city streets, say to and from a grocery store or the camp store. I like the big wheels on the TW200. What I tried to get was a pair of these: http://www.scooterhighway.com/-st125-trv90.html They are also over 50% more than I paid for my little bikes (not to mention another 100+ lbs for the pair - which means 100 lbs less possessions/survival gear I can own and carry) although they both will serve essentially the same purpose. Light weight is a critical factor to my full-time RVing plans.

They are clones of the old Suzuki RV-90s but with the same 125cc 4 stroke engine found in my bikes. I had been trying to get them for about a year before I gave up and bought my CT-70 clones. However, last week I got an e-mail saying that they are now available, if anyone is interested. Their handlebars don't fold down like my bikes do, so if you want to carry them in the bed of a pick-up covered with a camper topper (As I am planning to do.) then you might have to loosen the handlebar clamps and swing the bars back to get it to fit. The bigger Yamaha's TW200s would not fit at all, not to mention their 256 lbs weight penalty for the pair.

I'd like to find a small motorcycle fuel tank with a large tunnel to fit over the frame, where a motorcycle fuel tank normally goes to extend their range. I'm probably going to have to make it myself to get what I want. I'm sure that there would be a nice market for them if I could make them cheaply enough. I might just settle for a "saddlebag" of sorts made from ballistic nylon and secured over the frame in front of the seat made to hold 2 - 1 or 1.5 liter bottles of extra fuel, adding another 50-75 miles to my bikes small .9 gallon fuel tank's limited 80-90 mile range. Any ideas on extending their range (for emergencies) that I haven't thought of without monopolizing the rear luggage rack?

Chip

Offline garysco

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »
OK, me bad. I misread and thought you had a 70cc machine, and the dead weight of the trailer was 80Lbs.

Towing with a bike can get tricky when the trailer tries to swap ends with your bike when braking at speed.  At some point you will run out of brakes, or you will eat the pads like crazy, or you may burn up the clutch early. It depends on how heavy duty they designed your machine. But for a 1/2 mile trip to the store it sounds reasonable. 

Try prowling a motorcycle wrecking yard, maybe you can find something to fit. If you do and it is rusted Yamaha sells a kit to clean and re-coat the inside. A 350 mile range scooter? Bet you'll get tired first  ;D.

I bought a pretty durable adjustable handlebar mounted cup holder at REI for my 20oz water bottle. Worked fine until I hit a bad stretch of bumpy road. Launched that almost full bottle like a mortar  ;D. Lesson learned.

This company makes bullet-proof gas containers that have different mounting kits. Not cheap but the enduro / dual sport guys are happy with them http://rotopax.com/.

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Thanks for another useful link garysco. I measured the left hand side of my bikes, behind the air filter but there's not enough room for the sweet rotopax.

I think I am going to go with a pair of 1 liter fuel bottles mounted on each side of the frame backbone where a fuel tank would go on a conventional bike. I pshawed the motorcycle gas tank idea because the seat flips forward for furling, cutting off a good bit of the space where the gas tank would fit.

This is what I found:

Nice 1 liter fuel bottle holders for $19.99 ea (2 required.) They would strap together and fasten in place securely around the large frame section, distributing the weight evenly and out of the way for carrying additional items as needed. It will cost $168 for outfitting both bikes with an extra 2 liters of fuel each for about 50 miles additional range. I think that's the most reasonable and secure solution to the limited range issue.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/product/254/wolf-bottle-holster.cfm

Chip

Offline garysco

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
I haven't looked at Primus bottles. Is the opening large enough to use with the eco friendly California station nozzle? Happy-Trail seems to have a nice holder too, albeit more expensive.

Offline Sushidog

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
The advantage of the Happy Trails holder is that it will hold the 1.5 liter bottles, whereas the Wolfman will only hold the 1 liter size. But at $35 ea vs $20 ea for the Wolfman holder I'll have to go with the cheaper of the two, since I need to buy 4, saving me $60 (plus another $14.64 for the cheaper 1l bottles). Plus I like the long straps on the Wolfman. If I had bigger, more thirsty bikes I can see the advantage of carrying more fuel, but at around 100 MPG, I think the extra 2 liters of fuel per bike should be more than enough, giving me a 140 total road miles - maybe 120 miles of trail riding, running through the gears.

I don't know the size of the opening though, so a plastic adapter or fueling funnel may be needed to facilitate filling from a California fuel nozzle.

Chip