Author Topic: Ammo long term storage  (Read 28358 times)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Re: Ammo long term storage
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
Just a reminder for those that DO store ammo loosely in plastic bags.

On another forum I frequent, another reloader accidentally dropped his bag of ammo, and one went off in the bag. After changing shorts, all was well other than the normal scorch marks on the floor (and probably his shorts). ::)

Be careful in how you toss the rounds around. It only takes one oops to mess up your survival plans.
RipT

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
Just a reminder for those that DO store ammo loosely in plastic bags.

On another forum I frequent, another reloader accidentally dropped his bag of ammo, and one went off in the bag. After changing shorts, all was well other than the normal scorch marks on the floor (and probably his shorts). ::)

Be careful in how you toss the rounds around. It only takes one oops to mess up your survival plans.
RipT

That is extremely unusual for centerfire ammunition. Primers usually take quite a strike to ignite.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, that is a one in a billion.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
Myself, I dont bag, I box them, so no worries for me.
BUT, its still something to take into consideration.
Here is the post....

"For those of you out there who store your ammo in plastic, zip lock bags. Stop and desist. I had a bag of .45 Colt loaded with Goex Pinacle and 250 grain LRN bullets. I Dropped the bag on my linoleum floor and one of the rounds detonated. Wether the primer was hit by one of the rims of the other cartridges or by the sloghtly pointed nose of the bullets, (Lyman 454190) but the round went BOOM.

I am usually very careful when handling ammo, but I tried to carry one thing to many and I scared the living daylights out of my wife, the cats, and myself. My ears were ringing for 30 minutes and the hallway was filled with smoke. I hope that this confession prevents someone else from having a similar experience. No one was hurt, thank the LORD for that."

AND

"Load was X.X cc's of Pinacle, Winchester Large Pistol Primer, Lyman 454190, 250 gr. RN.
Case blew into three separate pieces, the head and about .25 inch of case and two pieces of split case found on the floor. Primer departed case and when found I did not find any anvil or indentation in primer body/face. I did find an impression in the floor that matches the size of the primer."

RipT

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
My last ammo cans I bought were new from midwayusa - they were having a special for about 15 dollars a can, they are newly manufactured, and their seals are in good shape. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=165462

The sale ends 31 March 2011 - add 5 dollars once the sale ends.

When I find used ammo cans in the local area they run about 10 - 15 dollars and often need to be hit with some spray paint to cover up some rust spots.  I don't store ammo in these boxes, but store brass cases for reloading or tools.

I will often use hard plastic ammo boxes to transport my ammo versus plastic bags or standard foam boxes.   If I have to store ammo long term, I will use the plastic ammo boxes & ammo cans to keep everything as dry as possible.  I live in Colorado so humidity is not a big issue.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip...just picked up a few!

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
The cans I picked up at the gun show last weekend, 30 cal cans, were 6.00 and in excellent used shape. They had quite a few of the bigger ones for under 15 at the end of the day. Real good deals if I had room in the car to haul them back.
RipT

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
I like ammo cans because they have handles on top for easy moving and are rectangular so they stack. 

They are water and air tight.

Also, they're damned cool.

The downside is that they look like ... ammo cans.  People could figure out what's in them.